Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Forfar Athletic

Northern League
Forfar Athletic scorers: Langlands

30/12/1905 | KO: 14:15

Northern League owners were keenly contested at Pittodrie on Saturday, where Forfar Athletic provided the opposition for the Aberdeen second string. The weather was very favourable for the game itself, but the cold wind blowing made matters rather uncomfortable for the spectators. The visitors were late in putting in an appearance. The teams were:-
Aberdeen A: Barrett; Murray, Willox; Davidson, Thompson, Brebner; Harvey, Hilton, Hamilton, Cruikshank, Jaffrey.
Forfar Athletic: Rodger; Shand, Macfarlane; Melvin, Murray, Fairweather; Preston, Langlands, Fairweather, Black, Ritchie.
Referee - Mister J. Nisbet, Edinburgh.

Forfar started operations half an hour late, and while the visitors pressed at first, only 2 minutes elapsed before the home lot were down at Rodger's end, and had the ball in the net. Hilton got the ball in fine position and shot at close range. Hamilton was the next to have a try, but a fine solo was nipped by the defence. There was no doubt as to which team was going strong, the attack being entirely confined to Forfar territory for a time. The siege was raised, however, and a corner against Aberdeen kept the defence busy. Preston and crossed in front of Barrett very neatly, but the pivot made a bad miss and the ball rolled to Black's feet. The inside left shot strong and true, but the sphere was caught by Barrett and sent into safety. The Forfar one men began to show a retaliatory spirit, and for a time the Aberdeen defence had as much as they could do to repulse the attack, though in this they were successful. Rodger's charge had another narrow escape, a leather being banged out from the line. Black, on the visitors' left wing, initiated an exciting chase, carrying the ball by himself from midfield right up to the Aberdeen citadel. The backs troubled along at either side and their attentions were just close enough to put the stranger away in his final effort. A fouled close in for Forfar looked well, and Ritchie accepted the cross and shot hard, but Barrett averted disaster for the time being by throwing himself flat upon the turf, but Langlands and sent home the equaliser. Aberdeen began to press again, but the Forfarians were allowing no liberties, it was a case of give and take all over. The strangers showed wonderful combination, and the local men could not claim superiority at any stage after the opening minutes of the game. Bold attacks were made at both ends, and Harvey nearly penetrated with a brilliant effort from the margin of the field. Rodger was certainly getting plenty of work, but he rose to the occasion and turned aside some deadly shots. The local front line appeared to be somewhat disorganised in their attack, and in shooting for goal they failed to steady sufficiently. Barrett by this time had retired, having twisted his knees badly, and Willox stepped back into the goal, thus reducing considerably the Aberdeen force. Black, and inside left showed fine and sprinting powers, and another break away a solo by the stranger almost spelt disaster for the homesters. The corner was just sent over the bar.

On resuming, Aberdeen did all the pressing, and a corner in their favour resulted in a melee, full of excitement, but the leather was ultimately forced behind. The home lot made it clear that the meant business, and only smart work by Rodger kept the goal intact. The game of waxed fast and furious at the Forfar end, and on one occasion the custodian held the ball too long in his grasp, and was promptly penalised for the offense, but the advantage brought out no result. The visiting backs were severely pressed and had to kicking out repeatedly to save the situation. The pressure, however, was bound to bear fruit, and at last the net was bulged by a firm punt from Hamilton at close range. This increased the excitement, and only ½ minute elapsed before the equaliser was put on, a foul allowing the strangers to get well up and finished successfully. The game was full of interest and excitement, and the display certainly equalled, if it did not excel many of the first to eleven matches in many respects. Right up to the finish, pressing tactics were maintained, and when the game was called to a close it had not slackened in the slightest.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 1st January 1906

Forfar Athletic Teamsheet
Rodger; Shand, Macfarlane; Melvin, Murray, Fairweather; Preston, Langlands, Fairweather, Black, Ritchie
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mister J. Nisbet, Edinburgh
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride