Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Clyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Clyde

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Halkett (Pen), Lennie, McDonald 7.
Clyde scorers: Graham

17/08/1907 | KO: 16:00

At Aberdeen before 6000 spectators. Two minutes from the start McDonald scored for the Northerners, after which the game was evenly contested. Owing to an infringement to O'Hagan, Aberdeen were given a penalty, from which they equalised. Lennie and Muir played splendidly and sorely troubled the Clyde defence. Half-time:- Aberdeen, two goals; Clyde, nothing.
In the second half a weak clearance by McIntosh let in Graham, who beat the Aberdeen custodian. Lennie, however, later scored again for the Northerners, the game ending:- Aberdeen, three goals; Clyde, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 19th August 1907

NB - The reporter was somewhat confused. Aberdeen did not equalise from the penalty, they went 2-0 ahead. The Clyde defence was hard pressed, and the ball appeared to strike one of the Clyde men on the arm. However, the referee thought otherwise, and awarded the Aberdeen a penalty. Halkett took the kick, but Mason managed to stop the ball, which rebounded in the direction of Halkett, who had little difficulty in placing it in the net.
Aberdeen played their first Scottish League match for the season at Pittodrie on Saturday, when they met the Clyde from Glasgow. Murray (Aberdeen) was suffering from a cold, and in his absence O'Hagan was placed at centre-forward, while Wilson, who played in the centre last season, turned out at left half. At four 0'clock the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; McIntosh, Hume; Halkett, Drain, Wilson; Macdonald, Simpson, O'Hagan, Muir, Lennie.
Clyde: Masson; Gilligan, Watson; McDiarmid, Duff, Robertson; McCartney, McKean, Graham, Hall, Murray.

Aberdeen kicked off towards the King Street end. The game opened quietly, and for a time operations were carried on in midfield, but gradually the local players assumed the upper hand, although their attacks were easily met by the Clyde backs. Hume was early prominent for Aberdeen, his tackling and returns being a feature in the early stages of the game. Five minutes from the start, Aberdeen got their first goal. A little beyond midfield Muir got on the ball. With a clever move, he passed well out to Lennie on the wing. The outside left dribbled ahead, and quickly rounded several of the Clyde men. Near goal, Lennie shot straight into Mason's hands. The goalkeeper, however, fumbled the ball, and soon the Aberdeen front rank were down in a body. The backs failed to clear, and an exciting scrimmage ensued. Macdonald ultimately saw his chance, and took it, placing his side one up with a comparatively easy effort. This early success spurred on the Aberdeen players, who again returned to the attack, O'Hagan had one particularly good shot, but Watson blocked its progress. All over, the Aberdeen players gave a good account of themselves. A gratifying feature of the game, so far, was the form shown by the new players. O'Hagan, however, was not comfortable in his position as centre-forward, and at times he was inclined to wander across to the left wing. Several good clearances by the Clyde backs transferred play to the vicinity of Macfarlane. Murray broke away on the left, and a speedy run down the wing threat and danger, but the ball was sent over the line. McCartney and McLaine enlivened matters on the right wing, and for a time the Aberdeen defence had to bear the brunt of the work. Graham made a capital effort to bring about the equaliser, and he almost succeeded. Steadying himself, he sent in a very fast, high shot from 12 yards out. Macfarlane, however, was in readiness, and brought off a wonderfully good save, clearing almost at the crossbar. Graham's shot had a marked effect on the Clyde team has a whole; their play improved, and Aberdeen were confined to their own half of the field for fully quarter of an hour. Centres by Murray and McCartney were cleared with difficulty, Hume and Drain being prominent in the Aberdeen defence. The football was not of a high order, big kicking and little method characterizing the play. The Clyde were weak near goal, and failed to make the most of the chances when near Macfarlane. Muir opened out the game for Aberdeen, and was dribbling straight for goal when he was fouled just outside the penalty line. The Aberdeen half-backs monopolized the play for a time. Wilson was noticeable in checking the Clyde right wing, but the left half was inclined to kick too far ahead. Neither side could claim any advantage over the other. Very few shots were directed at the goalkeepers, although on one occasion Macfarlane saved smartly from a low drive. Aberdeen took up the running on the left, but there was little in the game to raise the enthusiasm of the spectators. Near half-time Aberdeen got their second goal, as the result of a penalty kick. Halkett took the kick, but Mason managed to stop the wall, which rebounded in the direction of Halkett, who had little difficulty in placing it in the net. The Clyde played up strongly after Aberdeen got their second goal, and a long shot from the left struck the crossbar. Halkett tried to increase aberdeen's lead, Mason clearing a hard drive by the write half, while immediately afterwards the same player gave the Clyde goalkeeper another opportunity of showing his skill. Played rolled fairly even near half-time. Murray was particularly active on the Clyde left wing, but the Glasgow team were seldom dangerous at close quarters. Graham had a promising run down the centre, but when near goal was brought down by Hume. A penalty kick followed. Macfarlane saved, however, and this incident closed the first half, Aberdeen leading by 2 goals to 0.

The Aberdeen forwards were rearranged when the teams turned out after half-time. O'Hagan partnered Lennie on the left, Simpson went into the centre, while Muir was placed alongside Macdonald. The Clyde started confidently, and within a couple of minutes scored their only goal. The Aberdeen defence were unable to shake off the visiting forwards, a McLaine slipped the ball into the net high up, Macfarlane being beaten all the way. With only a goal of difference between the teams, a great change came over the game. The opening half was dull in comparison with a football shown by both sides after the Clyde had beaten Macfarlane. Besides, the rearrangement of the Aberdeen forwards was an improvement. The Clyde came away strongly on the left wing, Murray as a rule leading off in the raids two wards the Aberdeen goal. Lennie, so far, had had few opportunities of displaying his abilities on the wing, but a smart movement on his part transferred play in the direction of Mason. O'Hagan was left in possession, I and, with only the goalkeeper to beat, the Irish internationalist lost a glorious a opportunity of placing his side two goals ahead. Instead of directing the ball to one side or the other, O'Hagan shot right into Mason's hands, the goalkeeper clearing with little difficulty. Aberdeen had the best of matters, and but for the sound play of the Clyde backs the home team would undoubtedly have increased their lead. Macdonald and Muir were very clever on the Aberdeen right, the last named being very judicious and passing out to the wing. Play for a time slot down considerably. The pace began to tell on both teams, although, if anything, the Clyde suffered most in this respect. A centre by McCartney was caught up by Graham, but Drain and Wilson managed between them to check the progress of the Clyde centre. Still, Graham was repeatedly dangerous with sudden bursts down the centre. Feeling at times crept into the game, the Clyde being penalised for rough play. Muir was frequently in evidence with clever passing in conjunction with Macdonald. The latter, however, even after beating his opponents on the run, failed to cross accurately. Simpson's struck the crossbar with a fine shot following on smart play by the right wing. Drain and Wilson put in a lot of effective tackling, and a long pass by the left half allowed O'Hagan to get off on his own account. A few yards from goal O'Hagan's passage was blocked by Gilligan. Finding it impossible to go farther ahead, the inside left suddenly stopped, and while the Clyde back stood looking on, wondering what the next move would be, Lennie appeared on the scene, and quietness slipped the ball into the net. Lennie's clever move took the Clyde completely by surprise, and this last goal settled the game. Little interest was left in the contest, and the closing stages were ball had an eventful.

The new players in the Aberdeen team acquitted themselves well, and the club have every reason to feel satisfied with their opening win in their Scottish League programme. The gate and stands realized £174 12s 3 1/2d.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 19th August 1907

An Auspicious Opening.

When Aberdeen opened with Dundee on Thursday night, and the latter were at full strength, our side had several notable absentees, and suffered accordingly. Much - perhaps a great deal too much - was expected of the Aberdeen in this game, and they failed to impress those who were with them, and gave considerable disappointment to the supporters at home. It will always be a big pill to swallow - a defeat from Dundee - no matter by how many goals it may be, so long as the present keen rivalry exists. The defeat was keenly felt at Pittodrie, and the anxiety to win on Saturday, when the real opening took place, was clearly depicted on every face. Another disturbing element was the fact that the whole side could not be called on. Tom Murray was suffering from a chill, and the ban of suspension is still over W. Low. These were the prime factors in disturbing the equanimity of the directors and officials. We had our doubts as to the experiment which was tried against the Clyde in remodeling the front line, which, in our opinion, was not a great success during the first period, but came on better in the second half. The Clyde had a fine win over Partick Thistle on Thursday night to start with, and they stepped on to Pittodrie on Saturday confident of breaking the spell of bad fortune which has followed them on their visits to the Granite City. Comparing the teams as they came out on the field, we should estimate that Clyde averaged a good few pounds in weight per man over Aberdeen. Eager eyes were cast for the new men who made their first appearance this season, but their stature failed to favourably impress those around the enclosure.

The Play.

Play started shortly after four, with Aberdeen playing towards the west goal, and shaping wonderfully well. A clever bit of work by Muir let Lennie off, and his express shot made Mason squirm and only partially clear, so that Macdonald had a soft goal in less than seven minutes' time. The home side pressed for a short spell and then fell away. By this falling away we had an opportunity of judging how the defence would shape. Macintosh had watched Murray in the practice games, and he was always master, while Hume did most useful work against McCartney. Clyde's innings having ended without a score, Aberdeen made an effort to increase theirs. Unsuccessful for a time, they were eventually awarded a doubtful penalty, which Halket converted. Though not altogether pleased with the decision, Gilligan deserved more than a talking to for kicking Lennie, as the left winger was a passenger after that. Hume brought Graham down inside the line just on half-time, and 'Macfarlane saved a great shot. A run by Murray, which he squared in fine style, culminated in a goal for Clyde within three minutes of the resumption. Aberdeen were seen to better advantage after this, as O'Hagan partnered Lennie, while Muir crossed to Macdonald, and Simpson went to centre. Some beautiful work was witnessed, and only the stubborn defence of the Clyde kept them out. Lennie eventually capped a nice run on the left by beating Mason, and at this point the scoring finished.

The Players.

Prominent amongst the visitors were McCartney at outside right, McDiarmid at half, and Gilligan and Watson at back. Mason saved well when let alone, but he got two lessons from Macfarlane as to how best to save penalties and get rid of the ball quickly. "Rab" who was in his best vein on Saturday, and saved some lovely shots, already seems to have a perfect understanding with his backs. Macintosh and Hume are improving by acquaintanceship, while Halket was the leader of the halves. Drain is not a smasher like Strang, but he feeds his forwards better, and is a more dangerous shot. Wilson worked hard, and by playing him at half should come a bit. The forwards were spasmodic in their combination, but their weakness lay in centre, which was not properly filled at any time. Once they get settled down to one another we should get better results than that of Saturday, and of this more anon.

Chatty Bits

Aberdeen drew £176 at the gates and stands on Saturday, which is the biggest opening day drawings they have yet taken.
Clyde were a goal better on Saturday than they were on their last visit to Pittodrie.
Lennie got a nasty kick on Saturday, but it is expected he will be fit by this week to meet the Rangers.
It is most unfortunate that Aberdeen should have been de¬prived of Murray's services at the opening match.
Nobody was more disappointed than the Middlesbrough player himself.
Wilson's initial appearance at half-back for Aberdeen was voted a success. If he would just keep his place, we think Wilson will make a class man for the middle line.
The refereeing on Saturday was all that could be desired, and Mr. Jackson required no protection on this occasion while leaving the grounds.
There is an agitation to get up a special train for Glasgow this week to see the game at Ibrox.
Our old friend, Tom Ruddiman, was unfortunate in his first game with Port-Glasgow, being hurt early in the second half.
The season does not begin in England for a fortnight yet.
Dunfermline Athletic have taken the fancy of the critics, and they are looked on as one of the best teams in the Northern League at present.

Source: Bon-Accord, 22nd August 1907

Clyde Teamsheet
Masson; Gilligan, Watson; McDiarmid, Duff, Robertson; McCartney, McKean, Graham, Hall, Murray
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Jackson
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries