Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 St. Johnstone

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Johnstone

Dewar Shield Final
Aberdeen scorers: Ward, Ward, McKinlay.

04/05/1907 | KO: 15:30

The Aberdeen A, the Aberdeenshire cup holders, and St Johnstone, the Perthshire champions, met at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, in the final round of the Dewar Shield competition. The day was fine, but there was not a very large crowd. Aberdeen A had as strong team on the field, Tom Strang, the first eleven centre half-back, being tried at right back. The teams were:-

Aberdeen A: Mutch; Strang, Brebner; Davidson, Simpson, Gowie Robertson; James Robertson, Ward, McKinley, Lawrie, McKenzie.
St Johnstone: Graham; Harvey, Turner; McFarlane, Mackay, McCulloch; Stewart, McDonald, Moir, Fisher, McCubbin.
Referee - Mr. Liddle, Edinburgh.

The game started briskly, both goalkeepers being visited in turn, and having to save. After the first spurt played became of a somewhat scrambling nature, with Aberdeen doing most of the attacking. Individual effort rather than combination was responsible for the ineffectiveness of the play, but there could be no mistaking the fact that Turner, the Saint Johnstone veteran and back, was the chief participant in what glory was going. But he was a glutton for work, and time after time repulsed the Aberdeen attack at critical moments, his height and reach giving him an advantage over his opponents. It was a give-and-take game in the first half, with Saint Johnstone quite as good as the ground team. Strang, after the first few minutes, played a dashing game at back for Aberdeen, his strong punting and breaking-up work upsetting the St Johnstone left wing attack. If Brebner also was exceedingly effective. To sum up the game in the first half, the defence on both sides prevailed over the attack. Mutch and Graham between the posts at either end were always ready when called upon, and kept the charges intact during the first period.

At the start of the second half St Johnstone pressed, but were driven back, and for a time play was pretty much in midfield, with the occasional rushes goalwards. The singular ineffectiveness of the forwards of both teams continued until Gowie Robertson, the Aberdeen left half, went forward to show how to bustle a confident defence. He run round Harvey, drew out Turner, and crossed to Ward. The Aberdeen A inside right was in position, on mark, and he drove the ball hard into the net out of Graham's reach. After this the game underwent a complete transformation. Stimulated to exertion by Gowie Robertson's example, the Aberdeen forwards and half-backs attacked in irresistible style, and soon they had the St Johnstone defence completely conquered. The apparently indefatigable Turner slowed down, and was repeatedly left, and although he never showed signs of wavering, it was apparent that his temper was ruffled. Five minutes after registering their first goal, the Aberdeen team scored again. Simpson, cleverly working for position, placed to the outside left. Mackenzie and centred, Harvey missed the ball, and Ward made no mistake, beating Graham with a fast shot at close range. With their two goals' lead Aberdeen played with confidence, and were several times on the point of scoring. A third goal was headed through by McKinley from a grand cross by James Robertson. Until the finish the Aberdeen team easily kept the upper-hand, and Saint Johnstone were never dangerous. Ward, with an open goal, spurned the ball over the bar. St Johnstone were outplayed in the second half, and Aberdeen deserved their win.

Gate, one £42. After the game the shield was presented to the winners by Baillie Milne.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 6th May 1907

The Dewar Shield Final.

For the first time in the history of this competition, the Shield comes to Aberdeen. Several of the Aberdeen Clubs have reached the final stage, but during the nine years the Shield has been played for, none of them was successful till Saturday. The pity was that the weather broke down, as the attendance was miserable for a final tie, and the Clubs will have a poor share to divide when the accounts are squared. St. Johnstone, the finalists, were as anxious as Aberdeen to secure the trophy. In order to steady the team a bit, through the absence of Sam Willox, Aberdeen put Tom Strang in at full back, and the experiment turned out a splendid success. Tom played the game of his life, and he must have felt elated, for he never got such a hearty reception from an Aberdeen crowd as on Saturday. The play was fast, but method was wanting in the attack on both sides. Aberdeen failed to get through, simply by bombarding the Saints' goal, when legs or bodies blocked the progress of the ball. Mutch had one or two long shots to deal with but was never seriously troubled.
Owing to an injury to the Saints' left hack, the second period was spoiled a bit, but the home forwards began to tumble to the trick. "Gowie" Robertson, who had been working as for dear life, went right through, and crossing to Ward, the first goal went in. Within three minutes the same player had the ball in the net, "Gowie" having a say prior to its getting there. Later on McKinley headed a beauty through from a cross by Robertson, and the Shield was as good as won. By no means could the game be classed as first-rate. It was full of excitement as far as the players were concerned. They threw plenty of earnestness into their play, but without much idea of the result. Mr. Riddell, Edinburgh, was referee.

The Presentation.

At the conclusion of the game a large crowd assembled in front of the Pavilion, when Mr. Crook, the President of the Dewar Shield Committee, asked Baillie Milne to make the presentation to the winning team. In handing over the handsome Shield to the custody of the Aberdeen Football Club, the Baillie referred to the pleasant game they had all witnessed, and as it was the first lime Aberdeen had won the trophy he thought they ought to be jutly proud of the honour, as he had no doubt they were. He was equally proud to hand it over to "Gowie" Robertson, for there was no more consistent player than the clever left half of the A team, and he hoped that he would be able to play for many more seasons. Cheers were given for St. Johnstone, and for the Baillie and referee, and the proceedings ended.

Source: Bon-Accord, 9th May 1907

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Graham; Harvey, Turner; McFarlane, MacKay, McCulloch; Stewart, McDonald, Moir, Fisher, McCubbin
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr Riddell, Edinburgh
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride