Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 2 Wishaw Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Wishaw Thistle

Wishaw Thistle scorers: Anderson, Anderson

26/12/1908 | KO: 14:30

These teams met at Pittodrie Park on Saturday afternoon. There was a handful of spectators present, and a gale of wind and rain prevailed during the game. Teams:-

Aberdeen A: King; Hannah, J. Steven; Davidson, J. J. Simpson, Roberts; Hay, Towns, Dalgarno, Macfarlane, J. Neilson.
Wishaw Thistle: Glover; Irvine, Ramsay; Weir, May, Waterson; Carswell, Craig, Anderson, Murray, Langland.
Referee - Mr. Arthur Watt, Aberdeen.

Wishaw had the gale in their favour in the first half, and were dangerous immediately on the start off. Langland forced a corner, but the ball was sent past. The home left then got going, but Neilson and Macfarlane muddled. Great difficulty was experienced in controlling the ball, and owing to the wind, it's eccentricities caused some merriment among the starving spectators. Play for the most part was in Aberdeen territory, but King was but a little tested, the home backs being solid. Murray forced a corner on the left, and the kick was finely taken by Langland. The ball rebounded off the post and struck Anderson, off whom it rolled into the net.

With the wind in their favour in the second half Aberdeen A made but poor progress, and for the first 15 minutes it looked odds on Wishaw again scoring. The A's got going, however, and although they pressed continuously for the next 20 minutes they could not score. The visiting halves played a worrying and effective game, and, with a couple of steady backs before him, glover got little to do. Twice in succession towns shot high over when favourably placed. Wishaw again went off near the close, and Anderson netted from a breakaway 3 minutes from time. Wishaw deserved to win.

Gate, £9.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 28th December 1908

The "A" Team Lose.

The weather in Aberdeen on Saturday was all against good play. A strong wind blew across the field which made the ball extremely difficult to gather and keep under control. Wishaw Thistle proved a well-balanced team, and fully upheld their reputation. Aberdeen had one new forward on view, while another found the journey too trying to strip, and acted as an unwilling spectator. Play was very scrappy, and the few hundreds present had very little to enthuse over. The visitors showed more method in their work, and their first goal came as the result of good work by the front line. Though Aberdeen had several splendid opportunities, the whole forward line were at sixes and sevens, while their shooting was distinctly wide of the mark. Towards the close, Wishaw got another goal from a fine run, and a poor game ended in a win for the Thistle by 2-0.

Source: Bon-Accord, 31st December 1908

Wishaw Thistle Teamsheet
Glover; Irvine, Ramsay; Weir, May, Waterson; Carswell, Craig, Anderson, Murray, Langland
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr Arthur Watt, Aberdeen