Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Beith

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Beith

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Hendry, Nichol.
Beith scorers: Smith, Smith (pen)

27/08/1910 | KO: 15:15

A Drawn Game

Although they strove desperately hard to assume the lead in the closing stages, Aberdeen A had to content themselves in sharing the honours with Beath in a drawn game of two goals each in a Scottish Reserve League match played before 2000 spectators at Pittodrie Park on Saturday afternoon. W. D. Nichol, whose play at the close of last season created such a sensation local eight, made his first appearance this season as the centre-forward for the home side, and gave a most creditable display. His shooting was the feature of the game. On the whole the locals might have won had the forwards, with Nichol's exception, being nippier in front of goal. Neither side got settled down to a methodical game for any length of time, and the result was there was much aimless kicking and running about. In the outfield Beath were the superior lot, but were decidedly the weaker of the two weak teams near goal. The visiting defence was much more reliable than that of the locals, which was often in difficulties, taking into consideration the sterling defence set up by its defenders in the second half, and the Ayrshire team were deserving of the points they gained. The following players lined up on the soft ground:-

Aberdeen A: Greig,; Hannah, Harper; Davidson, Watson, Robertson; Towns, Hendry, W. D. Nichol, J. Edgar, Neilson.
Beith: Graham; Peddie, Wilson; Docherty, Smith, J. Smith, Duncan, Walker, Gordon, Fleming.
Referee - Mr. J. Davidson, Arbroath.

Facing the breeze in the opening period, Aberdeen were aggressive at the start, and Nichol had the visiting backs in trouble. A retaliating rush by Beith saw Greig beaten by Walker, but offside caused a point to be disallowed. At Graham's end, where play ruled for a time, Towns almost converted a high cross from Neilson, which he drop-kicked inches wide. A burst away by Nichol ended in Hendry proving his opportunism by snatching a lovely goal. Sustaining the attack, and laid in characteristic style by Nichol, whose play aroused much enthusiasm, Aberdeen high over in the vicinity of Graham, and there were many shots which went just wide of his charge, while several times he had to fist away a dangerous cross is of Neilson. Beith latterly were able to make headway, and after Fleming had headed several incursions, Smith, left half, snapped the equaliser. Some pretty work was supplied by the Aberdeen left wing, and, following a passage of this, Nichol got the ball, and was well set for scoring when he was tripped in the penalty area. Hannah took the kick, but Graham fell on the ball and cleared. Greg was kept busy for a time after this, but there was no more scoring in the period.

Play on being resumed was of a listless order. Neither set of halves supported their forwards well, and for a time the game was a defensive duel with little incident. Fleming was the first to break the monotony, and he looked like getting through when Hannah brought him down unfairly within the prescribed bounds, and Smith, who took the kick, scored. Aberdeen's goal was in danger for a time, the weak kicking of the backs being responsible for this. At last the game a revival in the homesters' methods. Nichol, either by rushing on distributing play, often tried to force the defensive barrier which was such a stubborn obstacle to the Scottish Cup holders at Dens Park, but he was not successful. Fleming got badly crippled in collision with Hannah, and had to retire for a few minutes. Several times the equaliser might have come, but, with the exception of the centre, the shooting of the home forwards was weak. Wilson, the visitors' left back, got his leg injured and had to retire, and it was after this that Nichol snatched the equalising point, after Graham had fisted away Nielson's cross. After this Aberdeen attacked with great persistency, and Nichol had several great drives blocked, but there was no addition to the score.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 29th August 19110

Few people with any football knowledge thought Beith a rather strong side for the local Reserves to tackle, but the latter put up a wonderfully fine game, and are to be congratulated on taking a point from their more experienced rivals.

Beith came north without Macpherson, otherwise their team was the strongest they could put on the field. Willie Hay was an absentee from Aberdeen owing to injuries received at Forfar, but the inclusion of Soldier Nichol had a wonderful effect on the play of the locals, who deserved to win on the run of the fray.
Aberdeen played westwards in the first half, Beith having a strong breeze behind them which assisted them at the start. They kept passing for some time, but their shooting was not always within the reach of Greig. Nichol had some great efforts to open the score, and it was from a nice pass which he gave to Hendry which led up to Aberdeen scoring first goal, the old Parkvale lad making no mistake with a high shot out of Ewing's reach.
A misunderstanding on the part of Greig let Beith equalise. From a free kick for tripping the referee gave the "double toot," and Greig made no great attempt to save, the result being that the ball landed in the net and scored. Nichol would have had his side in the lead, being brought down with a penalty which Hannah tried to convert, but Ewing saved.
They were lucky to get off with a free kick when Nichol was again well set for scoring before half-time, which arrived with the scores level.

From a penalty against Hannah Beith got the lead, Greig only partly stopping the shot. From this Beith were content to keep their lead, and, kicked out when danger was near. The locals, however, would not be denied, and Neilson and Edgar made great attempts to get level. Nichol managed to do this five minutes from time with an unsavable shot, and twice he nearly won the game afterwards.
It was a spirited contest, and Aberdeen deserved to do more than draw with 2 goals each, as they had the larger share of the play, but they had a strong defence to get through, who were not over careful in the way they stopped the men.


First impressions were entirely with the visitors, who were a sturdy built, speedy lot. Ewing is a very capable custodian, and the two backs clever, if a little reckless. The middle line were of the same class, and the forwards fast, but lost elevation while shooting.
Bar the one mistake Greig made when he lost the first goal, he played a sound game all through. Hannah was the best back in the field, and S. Davidson the pick of the halves with Wilson and Robertson very good. Towns shaped well at outside right in the first half, but got selfish in the second. Neilson and Edgar made a capital pair, being always the most dangerous. Nichol was a trifle weak on the ball, but made up for this by some groat shots, and his goal was a masterpiece of centre forward play. With improved, practice he will be difficult to hold out of the League team.

Source: Bon-Accord, 1st September 1910

Beith Teamsheet
Graham; Peddie, Wilson; Docherty, Smith, J. Smith, Duncan, Walker, Gordon, Fleming
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. Davidson, Arbroath
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride