Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Clyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Clyde

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Davidson (Pen), Edgar, MacFarlane, Towns.

01/10/1910 | KO: 15:00


Seldom has such a one-sided exhibition been seen at Pittodrie as was the case on Saturday, when, in a Scottish Reserve League fixture, before 1500 spectators, Aberdeen A defeated Clyde A by 4 goals to 0. The teams were:-

Aberdeen A; Greig; Hannah, Harper; Davidson, Macfarlane, Robertson; Hay, Towns, Hendry, Edgar, Neilson.
Clyde A: Stewart; Fraser, Robertson; Brown, MacMahon, McLeod; Pearson, Scott, Storie, Chalmers, Gray.
Referee - Mr. J. Davidson, Arbroath.

Directly from the kick-off Aberdeen made headway, and, as the result of Robertson tripping Hay in the penalty area, were awarded a penalty, which Davidson converted in the first minute. This early reverse seemed to put the visitors completely off their game. After this, and apart from a few unsupported bursts by Gray, they were continually on the defensive. The fine goalkeeping powers of Stewart were soon apparent, and on numerous occasions his fielding, rushing out, and fisting saved his side from further downfall. Practically all the home forwards and halves had tries for goal, and although their shooting was generally weak, some of the shots, but for the brilliance of Stewart, might have counted. Hendry, Towns, and especially Neilson, were ever prominent in the home forward line, and, backed up by the halves, they completely demoralised the Clyde defence, although the visiting backs put in all they knew to stem the tide. Only on one or two occasions was Greig on the ball, and even then it was from passes back from his colleague or from long shots which were not dangerous. Edgar's goal, the only other one of the half, might easily have been supplemented by half-a-dozen. Aberdeen's 2-0 lead at the interval by no means represented their marked superiority.

From the restart, it was early evident that there was to be a continuation of the state of matters of the first half. Hendry missed narrowly on the opening stages, then Towns drove over, and later Stewart had to rush out and clear from the same player. Pearson had one creditable sprint on the Clyde right, and Greig had to rush out and fist away his cross, while a minute later he had to field a hot ball from Chalmers. This, however, proved to be only a flash in the pan on the part of Clyde, and Neilson led off a sustained attack on Stewart's charge. The visiting backs appeared to have found their feet better by this time, but while they defended valiantly, many shots more or less true found their way towards Stewart, who whose display was consistent with that of the first half. After many attempts, a long-range shot from Macfarlane found the mark. Clyde were seldom over midfield after this. It was not until later in the game that McLeod from long range had their best try of the day. Greig cleared smartly. Just before time, and after Hendry had hit the upright and Davidson missed with a great drive, Towns headed through a fourth goal from Neilson's cross.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 3rd October 1910

Aberdeen A, with a fine record at their beck, were rewarded with a good attendance at Pittodrie on Saturday, when they had Clyde A as their opponents in the Reserve League. The good accounts we gave about them while in the west were amply demonstrated on Saturday.

Four goals to nothing does not represent the run of play, a dozen would have been nearer it but for some fine work by Stewart in goal and some luck thrown in. Chalmers, the First League centre, was included in the front rank, for some breach of discipline we heard, and Robertson, who played left back, was to steady the team and to give it some tone. Aberdeen A had out their usual eleven, Hendry filling Nicholl's place at centre. There was a sensational start when Hay got the legs whipped from under him, and a penalty was given. This Stewart Davidson converted with a shot that the goalkeeper could not stop. Sprinting along the wing, Neilson gave the defence no end of worry, and from a lovely cross Edgar chipped in cleverly, scoring as nippy a goal as we have seen for a long time. How Stewart managed to get rid of some of the shots was a marvel. He was beaten to the world several times, but fortune saved him from further disaster. With a lead of 2 goals the local reserves felt confident, and, had they tried to press home all the advantages which came their way their score could have easily been double what it was. A long drive by Macfarlane completely deceived the goalkeeper and landed in the net, while a clever bit of work by the right-wing ended in Towns scoring the fouurth goal. At no time could it be said Clyde A were in the picture, they were seldom dangerous, and Greig had only one fine drive from the left half to hold, which could not be said to give him any anxiety. Good goalkeeping is about all that could be said in favour of the visitors, while every man on the home side played well. Of course some of them made mistakes, but you cannot get perfection from youths not fully fledged in all the intricates of forward play.

Source: Bon-Accord, 6th October 1910

Clyde Teamsheet
Stewart; Fraser, Robertson; Brown, MacMahon, McLeod; Pearson, Scott, Storie, Chalmers, Gray
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. Davidson, Arbroath
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead