Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Rangers

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Davidson.

15/10/1910 | KO: 15:30


Following up on a great awakening in the second period, Aberdeen A defeated Rangers A by the only goal of the match and a Scottish Reserve League fixture before nearly 3000 spectators at Pittodrie. The teams were:-

Aberdeen A: Greig; Hannah, Harper; Davidson, Watson, Robertson; Hay, Towns, WD Nichol, Edgar, Neilson.
Rangers A: Cameron; Menzies, MacGregor; Brown, Waddell, Boden; Highet, Yuill, Parker, Gibson, Paterson.
Referee- Mister C. Johnston, Falkirk.

Aberdeen faced a slight breeze in the first half, and after a midfield spell, play ranged in the home territory, Highet and Yuill executing some combined movements which, but for the steadiness of the local backs, would have brought success to the visitors. Aberdeen's first chance came when Edgar from a favourable position shot erratically. Rangers soon transfer of play, but their work in the open was nullified by weak finishing. Greig on several locations was called upon, and once he jeopardised his charge by running far out to clear a long pass forward from Waddell. Apart from a few unsupported bursts by Neilson, Aberdeen did but little pressing, the weakness of the half-backs and a futile tenaciousness to hang onto the ball by the forwards accounted for this. Once when Greig misfielded and Harper averted disaster by conceding a corner, and home hearts were beating, and on another occasion failure to follow up the ball which rolled across the home goalmouth lost the Rangers another golden chance: while further suspense was provided when Oscar kicked the ball out of Greig's custody when that player was clearing, but Harper came to the rescue. It was well on in the first half until Aberdeen had anything like a meritorious try, and then Nichol had ahead effort, which rolled across the visitors' goalmouth. An injury to Nichol caused a brief stop rich, but he soon recovered and a period in which Rangers had been easily the better side resulted - Aberdeen A, 0; Rangers A, 0.

As there had been ineffective in the first half, the home stars were dangerous after the resumption. The excitement commenced with a lovely centre by Neilson, which Cameron fisted over the bar. Several fruitless corners fell to Aberdeen, but Cameron and Menzies set up a stubborn defence. The keeper was troubled with several long efforts, including shots from Nichol, Edgar, and Watson, while Hannah had a creditable try which missed its billet by inches. For a long time the Aberdonians maintained the pressure, but never got near enough to shoot from point-blank range. Free kicks, as they usually are in a hotly contested game, were fairly numerous, and it was from one of these that the winning goal came out Davidson trophy nicely into goal, and in its flight the ball glanced off Mcgregor, the visitors' left back, into the net. Anger at the same time rushed into the net, and "first aid" had to be applied as the result of his fall. Continuing the thresher, Robertson wormed through the defence, but shot high. Then came the hard Rangers' rally, and Greig had to clear from Parker. Play during the closing stages was mostly of the midfield order, and there was no further scoring. If only for their brilliant rally the home stars were was their win.

Aberdeen's best men were Hannah, Harper, Davidson, Edgar, and Neilson, while the outstanding players for Rangers were Cameron, Menzies, Brown, Waddell, and Paterson.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 17th October 1910

Little attention seems to have been paid to the fact that Aberdeen A have an unbeaten certificate in the Reserve League competition, and at the present time head the table. On Saturday they had about as stiff a nut to crack as they have yet encountered in the competition. Rangers sent north a strong team for their Reserve match, and their play in the first half was worthy of the reputation they came up with. Delightful forward play in the open was thrown away at close quarters, where the feeble attempts at scoring were worse than the home side.

Somehow neither side could settle down and score, there was too much eagerness on the Aberdeen side, and the fancy work of the other led to the ball being snapped from their toes, or Greig had an easy grasp of the situation before real danger approached. Twice the home goalkeeper made glaring mistakes, which he covered up very nicely, and this is a feature which we like to see.

In the second period Aberdeen made amends for their shortcomings in the first half. Crowding on all sail they set about the visiting defence till they had the goal at their mercy. It was their due reward when Edgar assisted a fine cross from the right-half into the net, and this proved the only goal of the match. Rangers tried to equalise, but they seldom got past the backs, while the home forwards made the better attempts to score. It was quite evident that the play all over favoured the home side, which was well served by Wilson on the left, who filled the picture more than any other player on the field. Weddell, of the Rangers, came next, his effective blocking of Nichol being quite a feature. He was the best defender and attacker in the line. Robertson, on the home side, was the most useful half, Davidson and Watson being slightly erratic. Harper was the best back on the field, Hannah making too much for show to be as effective as usual. Both goalkeepers were safe, the Rangers' man having most to do.

Source: Bon-Accord, 20th October 1910

Rangers Teamsheet
Cameron; Menzies, MacGregor; Brown, Waddell, Boden; Highet, Yuille, Parker, Gibson, Paterson
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr C. Johnston, Falkirk
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride