Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Mirren

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Harper (Pen).

17/12/1910 | KO: 14:15

After a game in which the standard of play never rose above a very low level, Aberdeen A defeated Saint Mirren A and a Scottish reserve league fixture buying 1 goal to 0 at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon. Teams were:-

Aberdeen A: Greig; Hannah, Harper; Watson, Macfarlane, Low; Towns, Scott, Davidson, Edgar, Robertson.
Saint Mirren A: Blackie; Featherstone, Livingstone; Lacy, Chitticks, Harvey; Clements, Mair, Nicholson, Miller, Kirkwood.
The referee - Mr. D. S. Beaton, Dundee.

A rainstorm was experienced during the greater part of the game, and this meant the gated against a good attendance, and tended to the poor exhibition of the game. Aberdeen were opposed to the wind in the first period, but, despite this they dominated the game and reckless shooting accounted for their failing to find the net. It was only on a few occasions that the Saints got off, and even in their spasmodic rushes there was never much combination, and the home defence had no real difficulty and repelling these. Nicholson, Mair, and Kirkwood all strove hard for their side, but they were overshadowed by the home backs. Davidson, who led the home ban, was often at fault in his shooting, and although on several occasions he was favourably placed, hill and the opportunities to slip. There was little of incident in the first half except an accident to Macfarlane, which kept him off for 10 minutes. The interval arrived with no scoring.

Saint Mirren shown some fire at the restart, and Mair and Nicholson, having changed places, early threatened danger, but Harper relieved. Aberdeen followed with a long and persistent pressure, but, as in the first half, the forwards were woefully weak, and when in scoring positions they sent the ball yards high or wide of the mark. The Saints backs put up a sound defence, and, although the kicking was not always have an accurate order, it was nevertheless effective. Fully 20 minutes and go on when the home stars were awarded a penalty for hands, and Harper scored. Aberdeen after this continued to have much the best of the play, and, although on one occasion Greig put his goal in jeopardy by rushing out, and Harper cleared, and never looked like scoring. In the latter stages Blackie was much in the game, and he had to field and fist several good efforts. The game throughout was most disappointing, and by reason of their aggressiveness the home side were worthy their win.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 19th December 1910

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Blackie; Featherstone, Livingstone; Lacy, Chitticks, Harvey; Clements, Mair, Nicholson, Miller, Kirkwood
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr D. S. Beaton, Dundee
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen