Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 7 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 5 - 0 Partick Thistle

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Scott, Nichol, Nichol, Hannah, Robertson, Scott, Edgar.

31/12/1910 | KO: 14:20

There were 1500 present at Pittodrie on Saturday afternoon, when Aberdeen A decisively defeated Partick Thistle A in the Scottish Reserve League by 7 goals to 0. Teams were:-

Aberdeen A: Greig; Hannah, Harper; Davidson, Watson, Low; Hay, Scott, WD Nichol, Edgar, Robertson.
Partick Thistle A: Howden; Fletcher, Dunsmore; Manuel, Davidson, McLaughlin; Lovery, Robertson, Allan, McLellan, Steele.
Referee - Mister J. Davidson, Arbroath.

The game was minutes old when Aberdeen opened the scoring, scored rushing through a cross by Robertson. In attempting to save, the Partick goalkeeper was hot in the reps, and had to retire for the remainder of the period. Fletcher took up position in goal, and Partick adopted one back game, without much success, it must be admitted, for Aberdeen were well nigh continuously on the aggressive. Fletcher in his adopted position did some good work, but and the tremendous pressure it wasn't possible that the citadel would survive, and quite a crop of goals fell to the home stars. It fell to Nichol to add the second point, which he did with the Quinn-like burst, and a few minutes later, from Hay's centre, he made the score three. Another goals soon followed, and Hannah, who had joined the attack, was to medium, while near the interval Robertson scored a fifth goal from near the touch line. Except for an effort by Lowry, Partick had been completely over weld, and might indeed be called lucky in not being a greater minority.

Howden and resumed in the second period, but it was quite apparent that he played under difficulty, as many shots that came his way were not dealt with in his usual masterly style. Partick made a feeble effort just on the resumption, and Greig cleared from Allan. After this it was again Aberdeen's game, and Nichol, by his "thunderbolt" shooting, kept up the enthusiasm of the crowd. There were numerous files on both sides, and the referee was not guiltless in respect that the game deteriorated, there being numerous flagrant breach is which the official allowed to pass unnoticed. After severe pressure, Scott scored a sixth from Robertson's pass, and when Edgar added the seventh Partick's cup was full. After colliding with an opponent, Nichol injured his knee, and retired for the remainder of the game, but still the homesters continued to have the upper hand. At times Allan and Robertson had creditable efforts towards reducing the leeway, but Greig proved unbeatable. Taking the game all over, it was spoiled by its one-sidedness, but Partick were decidedly unlucky in respect of the accident which early befell Howden.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd January 1911

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Hannah, Harper, Davidson, Watson, Low, Hay, Scott, Nichol, Edgar, Robertson.
Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Howden; Fletcher, Dunsmore; Manuel, Davidson, McLaughlin; Lovery, Robertson, Allan, McLellan, Steele
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. Davidson, Arbroath
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen