Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Wishaw Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Wishaw Thistle

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Edgar, Nichol, Nichol, Nichol.

04/01/1911 | KO:

Aberdeen Reserves' Record

Following up their 7-0 Reserve League victory over Partick Thistle "A" on Saturday, Aberdeen "A" yesterday defeated Wishaw Thistle by 4-0 after a one-sided game. Edgar opened the scoring, and Nichol added a second before the interval. In the second half Aberdeen were continually attacking, and Nichol scored twice, securing the "hat trick." In three successive games, Aberdeen "A" have scored 22 goals and lost two.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th January 1911

Aberdeen's goal-scoring reserves and Wishaw Thistle as opponents in the Reserve League fixture at Pittodrie yesterday afternoon. Wishaw, the consequence of injuries received at Dundee yesterday, turned up below strength, and the services of two local players were requisitioned.
A few hundred spectators saw the following teams to duty:-

Aberdeen A: Greig; Hannah, Harper; Watson, Macfarlane, Low; Hay, Robertson, Nichol, Edgar, Neilson.
Wishaw Thistle: Doig; Knowles, Hardy; Parnell, Duffy, Hibbert; Stoart, McKerry, Hendry, Millar, Gourlay.
Referee - Mister J. Baird, Montrose.

There was little in the opening stages, which saw Aberdeen on the attack, and Nichol was in early checked by Knowles when in a scoring position. Subsequently the game was very fast, and Hannah was conspicuous in a determined attack on the home goal. Wishaw were eager for the lead, and for quite a long time the homesters were hemmed in on their own territory. Edgar and Neilson by good combined work raised the pressure, and Doig saved a hard drive from Nichol. The home goal had a narrow escape after this, but Greig saved for a corner after Hannah had missed. Subsequently, Hannah played superbly in a hot Wishaw attack, but Greig was not again tested, and Doig renewed his acquaintance - really not long distant - with the home forwards. On numerous occasions Nichol tried to rush through but in these efforts he had a triumvirate of opponents to overcome, and Duffy in particular kept in close attendance upon Aberdeen's dashing soldier centre. In consequence of the close attentions paid to him, the Seaforth was injured, and had to retire. Under this handicap the homesters played up well, and Robertson had a terrific shot, which Doig saved in splendid style. Several corners fell to the Reserves, but the visiting defence was robust and effective. The game, however, was scrappy, and there was much of the Halliday nature about that. In the manner in which the home side were pressing it was but the question of time ere they took the lead. Neilson dribbled nicely into the centre and gave to Hay, who returned, and Edgar found the net. A minute later, following up on a run and cross by Neilson, Nichol signal oysters return by scoring a second. Wishaw got a doubtful corner after this, but Aberdeen were soon back at Doig, and Nichol gave the keeper a spicy handful, and the custodian was fortunate to get hold of a bad miskick by hardy.

Wishaw were kept on the defensive on the reopening, and Neilson, running half the length of the field, closed in, and gave Doig a great shot, which he saved on the ground. More exciting play ensued in the visitors' goal, and Nichol brought Doig to his knees, while a header by the centre hit the cross-bar, but was ultimately cleared. A heavy rainstorm broke over the ground after this, and the grandstand on the reserve enclosure was invaded by the majority of the few hundred spectators from the popular side, the drenched enthusiasts making a mad stampede around the corners of the playing-pitch. The game was not interfered with by this changing of quarters, and Aberdeen kept on the attack. Robertson had an upright shaver, and Nichol gave Doig a tricky grounder. A period of dull, uninteresting play, which was only natural under the unfavourable conditions, was succeeded by another goal from Nichol, who beat Doig from an angle on the penalty line. The balance of play was always in favour of the home side, and although there were long periods of midfield play, Wishaw never got near to Greig. Nichol was the very soul of the home attack, and once he adroitly shot from what seemed an impossible angle. A beautiful centre by Hay ended in Nichol getting the hat-trick with a header. Wishaw subsequently were completely outplayed, and seldom got past midfield. Hannah had one great rocket from near midfield, but Doig saved superbly, despite Nichol's close attendance, and the whistle sounded the conclusion of a most disastrous holiday two are for Wishaw.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 5th January 1907

Wishaw Thistle Teamsheet
Doig; Knowles, Hardy; Parnell, Duffy, Hibbert; Stoart, McKerry, Hendry, Millar, Gourlay
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. Baird, Montrose
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen