Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queens Park 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: Scoular, Fitchie
Aberdeen scorers: Murray, Lennie.

09/11/1907 | KO: 15:00

There was an attendance of fully 8000 spectators at the match between Queen's Park and Aberdeen at Hampden. The home team started the attack, but smart playe by Aberdeen changed the venue, where Queens defence was tested. Queen's Park returned, forcing a corner, which was well placed by Scoular, but Fitchie missed the chance. A few minutes later, however, the inside left made amends by beating MacFarlane. Aberdeen responded strongly and a good centre by Lennie was converted by Murray. Half-time score:- Queen's Park, one goal; Aberdeen, one goal. Play in the second half was unproductive and uninteresting, the visitors, perhaps, having the advantage in the exchanges. Twelve minutes from the finish Lennie gave his side the leading goal, but immediately afterwards Fitchie equalised with a smartly taken shot, and the game ended in a draw - two goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th November 1907

Aberdeen and Queen's park met at Hampden Park, Glasgow, on Saturday in a league fixture. Fine weather prevailed throughout the game, which was witnessed by fully 10,000 spectators. At three o'clock the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; Drain, McIntosh, W. Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Queen's Park: McKenna; Young, Richmond; McAndrew, Murray, Paul; Scoular, Findlay, McColl, Fitchie, Jamieson.
Referee - Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie.

The Queen's Park kicked off, and the opening stages of the game favored the home team. Fitchie, McColl, and Findlay were prominent for the amateurs. A free kick to Aberdeen transfer to play to the other end of the field. Lennie, O'Hagan, and Low, by clever combined work, opened out the game for Aberdeen, the ball ultimately being sent across to the right wing. Simpson dashed ahead, and gave Macdonald a long pass on the run. The outside right shot straight for goal, McKenna clearing with little difficulty. Again the northern forwards got set out going, and Lennie made a capital effort to open the scoring, fast shot skimming the crossbar. Queen's Park retaliated on the right wing, where Findlay was frequently in evidence, both in drawing out the defence and slipping the ball along to his partner. Scoular broke away on his own account, and when near goal the right winger passed back to Findlay. The inside right dodged round Hume, I and, with only Macfarlane to beat, the Queens Park forward lost an easy chance of scoring. Instead of going right through with the ball, he placed it into Macfarlane's hands. The game was a very fast one, and there was really nothing to choose between the teams. The Queen's, however, made repeated efforts to break through the Aberdeen defence, but Colman and McIntosh were more than a match for their opponents. Splendidly supported by O'Hagan, Lennie it was very active on the Aberdeen left wing. He finished a clever run, half the length of the field, with a straight drive for goal. McKenna and jumped up and caught the ball, while next minute the Queen's goalkeeper was cheered for a fine clearance from a centre by Lennie. McColl up to now had done practically nothing, although he gave Jamieson one particularly good pass on the run, but the outside left was blocked by Colman. Another dangerous movement by the Hampden forwards was checked by McIntosh, who was one of the most conspicuous players on the field. Up Lennie repeatedly beat queen's right back, and one of his crosses to the right was lost by Macdonald, but the slippery ball was partly to blame for the right winger's mistake. There was no slowing down on the part of either team. From end to end ball travelled, and there was scarcely a dull moment throughout the game. Lennie was the cleverest forward afield, and on one occasion he in wooded three of the Queens Park players in a sprint along the wing. Crossing squarely to the right, the ball came to Simpson, who, however, shot high over the bar. Findlay and McColl brought the play towards Macfarlane, but the latter was too well watched to become dangerous. Strong kicking by Young and Richmond kept the Aberdeen in their own half of the field for a time, I and, but for the timely intervention of Hume, the Queen's would undoubtedly have taken the lead. Colman, too, was very safe, and between them the Aberdeen backs set up a resolute defence. McColl brought off one of his surprise shots from about 20 yards out. He caught up a pass with his left foot, and without a moment's hesitation the famous centre forward drove the ball with great force towards goal. Macfarlane, however, caught a shot on his knees. Keeping up the pressure, the home team ultimately scored, Fitchie beating Macfarlane with a low shot. The Aberdeen goalkeeper stooped to catch the ball, which run up his arm, but he quickly recovered and turned the sphere round the outside of the post. The referee, however, decided that the ball had gone over the line, and gave a goal. Aberdeen renewed the struggle with increased vigour, Lennie, Simpson, and Macdonald being prominent. A corner, finally placed by the last named, almost brought a goal to the visitors, the ball dropping at Lennie's feet. 11 the left winger shot hard and Lowe, but Richmond luckily cleared. Murray gave Macdonald a good opening, which the right winger turned to good account. He steadied himself in front of goal, and made a capital effort to equalise the game, but his parting shot was finely saved by McKenna. Aberdeen were at last rewarded with a goal, the credit of which was mainly due to Lennie. He received the ball at midfield, and quickly rounded the write half. Careering along the wing, the outside left beat Young on the run, and then centred squarely to Murray, who literally walked the ball into the net. The goal was beautifully work for, and for a lead deserved on play. There was no further scoring up to half-time, and the teams crossed over on equal terms - one goal each.

Resuming, the Queens Park immediately took up the running, and had a cornered in the first minute. This was easily cleared, and soon plate was transferred in the vicinity of McKenna. Jamieson tried Macfarlane with a long shot, but the goalkeeper had plenty of time to clear. Play was fast, with Aberdeen improving at every turn. The Queen's failed to maintain their opening form, and their forwards could make little impression on the Aberdeen defence. A clever pass by O'Hagan enabled Lennie to get away with a spanking run along the touch line. Nearing goal the outside left crossed to Murray, who shot for the far corner of the net. McKenna, however, sprang across the goalmouth, and effected a marvellous clearance. Colman checked a dangerous run by Fitchie and Jamieson, and once more Lennie and O'Hagan were in evidence on the left wing. Macdonald lost an easy chance of scoring by shooting past, while Lennie was unlucky when one of his many tries for goal was accidental eat blocked by Richmond. For fully a quarter of an hour the game raged in the vicinity of McKenna, whose goal keeping was one of the features of the game. The Queen's park players exhibited signs of tiring, hello Paul (left half) was an exception. He was responsible for a brilliant piece of tackling, when Murray was left with no one in front of him but McKenna. A moment's hesitation was fatal to Aberdeen, for Paul dashed up and robbed Murray of the ball before the centre forward got his shot in. Keen, fast play characterized the game, Aberdeen's superiority being worthy of a leased another goal. The amateurs could make little headway, and they had to work desperately to keep on level terms. Two wards the close Aberdeen played up with commendable dash, and five minutes from time they took the lead. Low dribbled along the left wing, and although hampered in his rush for goal, he managed to get round the defence. Lennie dropped into the centre of the field, and Low cleverly slipped the ball to the left winger, who banged it past McKenna before the goalkeeper had time to clear. Within 2 minutes the Queen's equalised. McColl sent in a terrific shot, which Macfarlane saved, but Fitchie caught the rebound and planted the ball in the net. A brilliant run by Lennie in the closing minutes would undoubtedly have brought the winning goal had he not been tripped up within 6 yards of McKenna. The referee ignored the appeal for a penalty, but it is impossible to say when he did so, for the infringement was a most glaring one. In the last minute Macdonald struck the crossbar with a fast shot, but no further scoring took place.

The Aberdeen team were unlucky in not winning, for they were not only the better side, but were deprived of a legitimate penalty.

Kate, £211 3s 9d.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 11th November 1907

A Golden Opportunity Lost.

The day was none too cheering when Aberdeen arrived in Glasgow, but the weather cleared in time, and there was enough light left to finish, and no more. If Aberdeen played poorly on their first visit to Glasgow this season, they greatly enhanced their reputation against Queen's Park on Saturday. Nobody would have grudged them full points, as they deserved them on play. Queen's put on full pressure at the start, Macfarlane fielding several good shots on his own, in his best style, while the backs looked after the men. The first goal was one of those things which give rise to a bit of feeling, as no one seemed certain that the ball was over the line but the referee. Macfarlane asserts that he met the ball a foot in front before he fumbled it and put it behind for a corner. It was a bad mistake, but quite excusable, as the ball was greasy and difficult to hold. The decision seemed to shake "Rab's" confidence a bit, as he appealed strongly against it.
Aberdeen now began to take more of the play, and show us Glaswegians, that the Northerners could do a little bit at the passing game. The combination shown by Aberdeen was very fine, both wings and centre putting in some great work. Lennie, in particular, was going great guns, and his centre, which led to Murray scoring, was only a fit reward to the left-winger's cleverness. Had Simpson not been roughly handled his side was a goal further up before half-time, but the free kick was no earthly use. Half-time arrived with honours even. As in the first half, Queen's set the pace at the start, with this difference, that it was very short-lived, Aberdeen forcing them back to their own quar¬ters, and keeping them there. This was a trifle more than the home side bargained for, and they began to use their weight a bit. Aberdeen were so persistent that success was bound to come, Lennie cutting in and delivering one of those rocket shots, which McKenna never saw. This was well worked for, and another should have been added but for the attention paid to Murray and Simpson, who were none too gently treated, though, per¬haps, fairly dealt with. The wrath of the crowd was vented on Young, on his bringing Simpson down when in good position. Macfarlane was seldom troubled, thanks to Macintosh keeping watch on the great McColl, but he was once in difficulties with the referee. Just on the tape, McColl got through, and equalised the game, which ended two goals each.

The Players.

It was a lovely game to look at, and the honours, for fine combination, went to Aberdeen, who were the visitors, and not expected to show up well in this line. Individually, Lennie was above the rest, and the right wing were also very effective. Murray has not got into the knack of meeting the crosses as he should do, but he was pulled up for offsides twice, when he appeared to be all right. Macintosh and Low were splendid at half, Drain being slow in comparison. Both backs were good, while MacFarlane was safe. McKenna was Aberdeen's stumbling-block, and he alone saved his side. Richmond was the better of the two backs, while Arthur Murray shone at half. McColl was good and bad by turns, while Low held Fitchie beautifully. Scoular was most dangerous, and was their best wing man.

Chatty Bits.,/p> "Rab" saw twelve men on the Queen's Park side on Saturday. It was by expressing such an opinion that led to the altercation with the referee. "You can't hang a man for holding to an opinion." Can you?
Be this as it may, there was a general feeling that the man with the whistle was a little finical with some of his decisions.
It seems the League are to punish referees who do not conform to the laws and keep a grip of the game. They have laid aside one for a month at their last meeting.
Hampden people got an eye-opener with the way the Aberdeen forwards worked the ball. They expected their own side to win by so many goals.
In a way R. S. McColl was disappointing; but this was due to Macintosh, who kept a watchful eye on him.
Wilfred Low was also in great form, and seldom allowed the right wing much scope.
Drain did not shine like his confreres, but he stuck in gamely to his wings His heading was the principal part of his work.
For clever manipulation of the ball, none on the field could compare with Lennie. It was a treat in itself to watch him.
The Queen's first goal was a near thing, and no one will convince "Rab" that it was through, before he put it round the post.
The new centre, who was on trial at Pittodrie, did not get much of a chance to show his paces. He was just settling into the other players' ways when the game was stopped. It is said the directors are to ask him back this week again.
Aberdeen will claim the points for Saturday's game, as it was through no fault of theirs that a late start was made.
According to the League time-table, the kick-off, from Nov. 2 to 9, shall not be later than 3 p.m.
We have no doubt Forfar would like another re-play, as it will mean another fat gate to them.
It was no disappointment to them to get the match stopped. Mr. Macarthur saw it was impossible to finish the game with sufficient light, and stopped it in good time.
The spectators were not satisfied that they had got their money's worth, some demanding to be refunded.
West Ham lost to Bristol Rovers by 1-0 on Saturday. James Gault came by an unfortunate accident in the first half, and was unable to resume play.
Paddy Boyle stood up throughout the whole game like a hero.
Leith Athletic do not seem to have' been so fortunate with their recruits as St. Bernards, for they lost heavily to Dumbarton. Willie Jaffrey is doing great work for them, and they are delighted with his darts along the line.

Source: Bon-Accord, 14th November 1907

Queens Park Teamsheet
McKenna; Young, Richmond; McAndrew, Murray, Paul; Scoular, Findlay, McColl, Fitchie, Jamieson
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen