Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Falkirk

Scottish Reserve League
Aberdeen scorers: Neilson.

23/09/1911 | KO: 15:15

Reserves Win Again

Aberdeen A and Falkirk A met at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, on Saturday afternoon in a Scottish Reserve League match. There was a small attendance of spectators. The following were the teams:- Aberdeen: Greig; Hannah, Harper; Davidson, Wilson, Low; Edgar, Walker, Douglas, J. H. Neilson, C. Neilson.
Falkirk: Morrison; Agnew, Menzies; Smith, Marshall, Allan; Wilson, Gibbons, Rattray, Maxwell, Deans.
Referee - Mr. A. Watt, Aberdeen.

A stiff wind was blowing across the field when the game commenced. In the first minute Falkirk became aggressive, and Greig cleared along with low shot from Rattray. Gradually Aberdeen shook off the attack, but their progress was interfered with by Edgar getting offside. The homesters, however, soon got on the run, and a nice piece of play by J. H. Neilson permitted Davidson to test Morrison. Aberdeen continued to do most of the pressing, and had exceedingly hard lines in not scoring. On one occasion J. H. Neilson had a shot which struck the cross-bar and rebounded into play. Aberdeen played well in the open, but were somewhat weak in front of goal. The Falkirk defence was sound, and was equal to all calls made upon them. The Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape, but an infringement on the part of one of the visitors prevented what seemed a certain goal. The first half was keenly contested, but Aberdeen, if anything, were the superior eleven. Nielson, the winger, had several crosses which looked like taking effect, but the defence always prevailed. At half time there was no scoring.

In the second half Aberdeen had nearly all the play, but they could do everything but score. Falkirk's share in attacking work was confined to a few spasmodic runs. Some feeling began to manifest itself, and frequently the referee had to caution players. Aberdeen kept up a stiff pressure on the Falkirk goal, which underwent numerous narrow escapes. Such pressure as Aberdeen applied had to bring success. Edgar took the ball along the wing, and, crossing it accurately in front of goal, J. H. Neilson, who secured the sphere, scored a lovely goal. More feeling crept into the game after this, and several lectures were given by the referee. Smith, the Bairns' right half, who had been frequently warned by the referee because of the nature of his play, was ordered to leave the field. Aberdeen continued to have the upper hand to the end.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th September 1911

Falkirk Teamsheet
Morrison; Agnew, Menzies; Smith, Marshall, Allan; Wilson, Gibbons, Rattray, Maxwell, Deans   Smith
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr A. Watt, Aberdeen
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride