Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Dundee

Northern League
Aberdeen scorers: Douglas, Scott.
Dundee scorers: Walker

09/12/1911 | KO: 14:20

Hard Game At Pittodrie Dundee Rivals Beaten

The reserves of Aberdeen and Dundee met under Northern League auspices at Pittodrie on Saturday. Points went to the home side by 2 goals to 1. Rain fell during the greater part of the game, and the crowd was much smaller than it would have been had better weather prevailed.

Aberdeen kicked off two wards the west goal, and although the visitors made the first dangerous raid, the homesters were not long in asserting their superiority. The forwards, led with dash by Douglas, were seldom out of Dundee territory, and only the treacherous footing on the sloppy round kept them from opening the scoring earlier. Douglas was the executant. Hannah placed a free-kick beautifully into goal. Balfour collared the leather but did not throw or kick away so soon as he should have done, and before he realised it the ball was in the net, the home centre getting his foot on it first. Dundee broke away occasionally only to find Hannah and Millar were safe. King was seldom in difficulties, though he had to fist one high shot away when in a knot of opponents. At the other end Balfour was much busier, banks perhaps to the mediocre display of his fellow halves, who were invariably beaten by Douglas and his colleagues. Scott notched a second point, Dickson centring beautifully after a smart bit of individual play, and the Peterhead man having little to do but to divert the sphere net words. There was no more scoring this half, so that Aberdeen A led by 2-0 at the interval.

The Taysiders were an improved lot in the next portion, and the home backs found their task much stiffer. Only occasionally did Douglas and his wings get set agoing in the same style as they moved in the earlier stages. On the other hand, the Dundee forwards, while clever enough in the open, showed a deplorable weakness and finishing, Greig alone giving evidence of accurate marksmanship. They were a long time in meeting with their due the ward. It followed on a mistake by Walker in back-healing to his namesake, the Dundee pivot. Greig accepted the pass out, grew out the defenders, planted the ball across to the centre, who beat King with a fine low shot. The blues continued to act on the aggressive for a time, but gradually play opened out, and two wards to close the home defenders had the mastery. Douglas and Scott continued to be the pick of the frontline, though Martin, who led Dundee First League attack in the opening months of the season, gave the centre little chance to shine. Some feeling was shown on the feel that the last minutes, but the referee kept things going smoothly.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 11th December 1911

Dundee Teamsheet
Balfour; Peters, Ferguson; Strachan, Martin, Johnston; Duncan, Wyllie, Walker, McKnight, Greig
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr W. McArthur, Stirling