Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Linday, Speirs

28/12/1907 | KO:

At Cappielow, Greenock, in the First League series. About fifteen minutes from the start Aberdeen were awarded a penalty, but Halkett failed with the kick. Morton were first to score, a clever move by Hart enabling Lindsay to send the ball past the visitors' goalkeeper. Aberdeen just missed equalising on resuming, Lennie eluded three of his opponents including the home custodian, and shot straight into goal. With a fine effort, Hendry, left half of Morton, caught the ball on the goal line and kicked clear. A minute from time Morton added a second point, Speirs finishing. Result:- Morton, two goals; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 30th December 1907

Aberdeen's a record of wins and draws was broken on Saturday, when the team went to Greenock to meet Greenock Morton. The weather was cold but dry when the teams lined up, in presence of a fair gathering of spectators. Teams:-

Morton: Robertson; Stewart, Thompson; McIntosh, Greenlees, Hendry; Aitcheson, Dart, Spiers, McCubbin , Lindsay. Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Referee - Mr. Liddell, Edinburgh.

Aberdeen kicked off, and Greenlees allowed Lindsay to get down for Morton. A fruitless corner resulted. Some lively play was seen on the visitors' left, Robertson being called on to save a shot from Lennie. Morton, with the assistance of the breeze, returned to the attack, and Aitcheson missed an easy opening. The game was fast and exciting, and full of incident, both goals being in serious danger in quick succession. For Aberdeen Lennie was always prominent. Twenty minutes after the start the visitors gained a penalty for Lennie being interfered with not a Halkett took the kick, but failed to convert. Following this, the homesters attacked, and Lindsay scored. Aberdeen now went at their work in determined fashion, and for a time the home defence was hard put to it to keep their end up. Robertson, however, was in dandy form, and time and again saved his charge from downfall when all seemed lost. So far it had been a fairly even game, and either side looked like scoring any minute. A foul close in looked well for Morton, and it was well for Aberdeen that Colman was lying handy when Macfarlane only partially cleared a great shot from Hendry. The home forwards were now going great guns, and Macfarlane and his backs were kept continually on the alert. Aberdeen then took a turn, and Robertson had shots to save from Murray and O'Hagan.

Aberdeen got set agoing immediately on resuming. Lennie, gaining possession in midfield, tricked Stewart in rare style, and, racing ahead, beat the goalkeeper, who had run out of his goal. The ball was going all the way, when Hendry by a great effort, stopped its progress, with little to spare. With the wind advantage, Aberdeen had a bigger say in the game. The home backs, however, responded gamely to the attack. Macfarlane was, however, kept busy. On more than one occasion the Aberdeen goal was within an ace of falling. An injury to McCubbin stopped play for a time, and on play being resumed some feeling crept into the game, the referee having a occasion to cautions several of the players.

The gate amounted to £80.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th December 1907

Rough Game at Greenock.

There was by far too much attention paid to the man instead of the ball in the game at Cappielow on Saturday. If there was anything remarkable it was the number of times the men were laid out winded or otherwise damaged for the time being. The Morton players purposely and with good effect played a spoiling game, and it began early. Aberdeen found the pitch of the narrow side for their usual game, and when Lennie was going beautifully for goal he got the feet whipped from under him, a penalty being granted. Without hesitation. Nobody seemed inclined to take this gift, Halket ultimately trying his kick which proved a miserable failure. Some time after Macfarlane only partially cleared a shot which Morton, lying handy, promptly despatched into goal. Aberdeen pressed a lot after this, but they never found the true range for goal. The second half was a repetition of the first, except that Aberdeen were a trifle worse, in this respect that they went back to the old tactics of trying to run the ball through instead of shooting from longer range, which we thought would have paid better. So on it went till the last minute, when. Morton got their second goal, a gift in a way, for time sounded before the ball was removed from the net.

The Players

Morton lave a strong defence, who have no conscience as to charging, while their halves are willing workers if not scientific in their methods. The play of the forwards suit the requirements of the ground - quick to seize any opportunity that may occur. On the Aberdeen side the defence did well, and what we said about "Rab" and Greenock we still adhere to, that he should not have been played there. Both goals were of the soft order and ought to have been saved. The halves were indifferent at times, but the forwards, though they did smart things in the open, were woefully weak at goal-mouth. In fact, it was the poorest display we have seen them give for a long time. They will have to improve in this department during the week, or we predict the New Year tour will be a failure.

Chatty Bits.

A Happy New Year to all our readers.
This has been a busy week in football, and we expect to see many changes in the table next week.
Morton completely upset the calculations of the Aberdeen team, who were hustled and bustled off the ball quite unceremoniously.
The journey, too, took a lot out of the players. It was rather long and very, cold, which made those undertaking it feel benumbed for some time.
Coleman got into hot water with several of the players for stopping the left winger, and it looked as if a scene were to occur.
Donald kept his head on and came through the ordeal successfully. There was too much temper shown at times.
How did Halket miss the penalty? Ask him.
Murray was very closely watched on Saturday, and was allowed little chance to get away.
Another victim to over-watchfulness was Lennie, who generally had a couple of men on his top.
Hume was the most resourceful back on Saturday. His clearing at times was brilliant.
We publish too early to give an account of the New Year games.
The possibilities of the leaders will receive more attention this week than ever they have done.
To our way of, thinking Falkirk have much the heavier programme to get through, and if they lose one the others will be on them.
At present we have before us one of the finest tussles that ever took place in the League for the flag.
The "gate" drawings have been down to zero during the past few weeks, and not a few clubs are feeling the strain very badly. If the Scottish ties do not come to the rescue, there will be a few bankruptcies.
Owing to the first round of the Consolation Cup having to be played on the 11th of this month, the Aberdeenshire Cup semi-finals will have to be postponed for a week or so.
Arbroath drew the poorest crowd they have ever done at Pittodrie on Saturday. This was entirely due to the weather.
It was a miserable day from a spectator's point of view.
We were glad to see Toman back in his place again. He did not do too much, but what he tried he made ground with.
Gowie Robertson was the hardest worker on the field.
Jim Muir was easily the best forward, and some of his crosses ought to have materialised had he been supported with a good centre.
The Aberdeen team left Aberdeen on Tuesday for Glasgow. Their headquarters will be the Adelphi Hotel during their sojourn in the west.
The International Souvenir, which the Aberdeenshire Juniors have issued in connection with the visit at Pittodrie to-day, is a very welcome production. It ought to sell well, and thus recoup the enterprise of the juniors.

Source: Bon-Accord, 2nd January 1908

Morton Teamsheet
Robertson; Stewart, Thompson; McIntosh, Greenlees, Hendry; Aitcheson, Dart, Spiers, McCubbin , Lindsay
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: Mr. Liddell, Edinburgh
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen