Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 3 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: Semple, Bennett, Hume(o.g.)

02/01/1908 | KO:

These teams met at Parkhead, Glasgow, in their return League fixture before 30,000 spectators. The ground was hard, and consequently very gingerly were the opening movements of the players, and slips and miskicks were numerous. The visitors opened with a brisk attack on the Celtic goal, but were eventually sent back, and Celtic took up the running. After MacFarlane had saved from Semple, a fine cross from the left was netted by Semple, after a header from Quinn had struck the cross-bar and rebounded out. Shortly after, Bennett dribbled through the Aberdeen defence, and passing to Quinn he scored Celtic's second goal. Till the interval, the game was evenly contested, when Celtic led 2-0. In the second half the game was evenly contested, and play generally was very fast. The Aberdeen forwards, while playing well in the open, lacked the necessary finish, and on that account they lost several likely chances. The Celtic front rank were very aggressive, but the fine defence of the Aberdeen backs, Colman and Hume, together with a good display of goalkeeping by MacFarlane, kept them at bay, and it was only near the interval that the Celtic secured their third goal, the ball striking Hume, the visitors' left back, and rolling into the net. Result:- Celtic, three goals; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd January 1908

Celtic Park, Glasgow, where Aberdeen contested with Celtic yesterday for League points, was in common with the city and district, enveloped in a dense fog all day. In the forenoon grave doubts were entertained as to whether the match would be played, but fortunately the atmosphere at Parkhead cleared somewhat in the afternoon, and the game was preceded with. A keen frost had prevailed in the early morning and held throughout the day, but the covering of the pitch with straw, in case of snow falling, proved to be unnecessary. The ground was harmed and slippery, however, as a result of the frost, while the air was bitterly cold. These conditions militated against a large attendance, and the presence of 10,000 spectators in the grounds was regarded as a small turnout for a holiday fixture. Mr. Kelso, Hamilton, had charge of the game, and the teams were:-

Celtic: Adams; McLeod, McNair; Young, Lonie, Mitchell; Bennett, McMenemy, Quinn, Somers, Semple. Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Muir, Simpson, Murray, Macdonald, Lennie.

A late start was made, and Aberdeen began the game on a hard ground. Lennie got round McLeod at the very start, but, after getting in front of goal he shot weakly. The visitors were keen, and for a few minutes were aggressive, but a random overhead kick by Murray sent the ball behind. Bennett and McMenemy worked well on the right, but the slippery ground spoiled their chances. Quinn all but got away in the centre, and had not Hume chipped in and smartly, the pivot had a good chance of getting to close quarters with Macfarlane. Semple was palpably offside when he got the ball from his partner, and Macfarlane made a good save from the winger. Young caught the return, however, and a strong drive, which dropped the ball in front of the Aberdeen goal, caused a melee. It seemed that a clearance was to be effected, but Thor Semple was roughly charged by Colman the Irishman dashed the ball into the net. Aberdeen pressed for a spell, and a chance was missed by the forwards, after which the home left winger again sped up the margin. So far there was plenty of life in the game, which went from end to end, but many good efforts were spoilt by the players slipping. The Celtic forwards were smart, and some good passing gave McMenemy chance, for which he shot behind. This player, however, atoned a minute later, for he nearly got through the Aberdeen defence, and parted to Quinn, who dashed in and shot clean into the centre of the net with a hard drive at close range. Aberdeen got up, and Lennie forced a corner, from which Halkett sent in a good drive that skimmed the bar, while a minute later Adams had to save a difficult try from the Aberdeen right. Following upon an attack by the Celts, Aberdeen attacked through the left wing; but after Macdonald, who was playing well with Lennie, had made inroads in the Celtic defence, Murray spoilt the effort by getting off side. It was a game full of excitement, and despite the treacherous surface of the ground, Aberdeen played a game fully equal to that of the Celtic in science. The northerners kept their feet better, and played a fine, close game, the whole front line working with cohesion. Murray tried a long shot with judgement, and then, closer in, Halkett again sent over. The home backs were none too sound, and with a little more sting in the Aberdeen shots, Adams might have been in serious trouble. McMenemy caused Macfarlane to move quickly with a header, and this was followed by further pressure by the Celts. Bennett made a valiant efforts on the right wing, but the small man was very uncomfortable on the slippery ground, and repeatedly shot past the post. For a time Aberdeen were occasionally on the defensive, but some hard work cleared the lines, and they worked up two wards Adams. Simpson sent in truly, but Adams saved easily. Lennie was not quite up to his usual form, and only at intervals showed good points.

Aberdeen attacked through the right on resuming, and then Quinn carried the siege into Aberdeen ground, and although the centre fell, he slipped the ball across to Bennett, but a foul relieved. Macfarlane had to save and nasty tricky drive from Bennett, and then the Aberdeen van moved up to Adams. Simpson had a good opportunity, but he dallied too long on the ball and shot wide when harassed. The Irishman once more got down, and a fine center by Semple went abegging. Then ensued a spell of close warm work for Colman and Hume, but, with the assistance of the halves, the line was cleared, and Lennie raced with young for possession. The Irishman drove to his keeper, who returned hard. Macfarlane was again the center of a struggling crowd, and rushing tactics by Quinn brought a welcome foul. Bennett was deadly in his crosses, and proved a source of trouble for Halkett and Colman. There was really little in the game apart from end to end play, in course of which some tricky work was engaged in by both forwards. In the outfield Adams was having a complete holiday, and the Celts hammered away in close proximity to the Aberdeen goal. Halkett was strong in tackling, and Colman punted well. A strong return from the former allowed Aberdeen to get up on the right, and the wing men, backed by Halkett, produced a pretty display of passing. Nothing resulted, however, except that Lennie caused some merriment by hustling Young and forcing the big a Irishman to concede a corner. Struggle as they might, Aberdeen could make little headway against the Celts' defence, and it was only on rare occasions that they got within shooting range of Adams' charge. The home team, however, were little better, and the forwards had to rely on long pot shots, not a few of which came nearer the mark. Somers gave Rab a nasty twister to hold, and then McMenemy almost got a point with a neat turning kick. With only 10 minutes to go, there was little hope of Aberdeen doing much to save the points, which, so far, were lost, and they chiefly confined their efforts to keeping out the Celtic attack. Matters looked bad when Hume completely missed the ball, and Quinn made off in pursuit. The back made a good recovery, and overhauled the Irish pivot, whom he harassed to such an extent that Colman had little difficulty in stepping in and clearing. Still the ground forwards kept pressing, and a corner kick resulted in Hume scoring against his own side. It was no fault of the Pittodrie man, for the ball landed in the goalmouth, and, in attempting to scrape it clear, the sphere rebounded from his boot and rolled over the line, giving Macfarlane no chance to avert the disaster. An invasion by Aberdeen in the closing minutes almost brought a point, but Murray's effort from a fairly easy position went wide of the mark. There was no event of note after this, and the game terminated in semi-darkness, with the players on both sides taking matters easy.


Celtic were value for a win, and although their movements were perhaps less pretty to watch than Aberdeen's, who are more effective in the attack. The slippery ground naturally told against science in the game, and also accounted for many promising tries resulting in nil. Celtic was seen to best advantage in the first period, and their two goals were both cleverly got and well deserved. The Irish forwards were a smart lot, with Bennett and Semple outstanding, the halves being mediocre and the backs just safe, while Adams got practically nothing of a serious nature to do all day. Halkett was the most prominent worker on the field, and in the second half is specially nearly all the Aberdeen attacks were initiated by him. Macdonald in his new position gave a creditable display, but Lennie was too closely watched to get in effective work. Murray was also good. The right wing were seldom dangerous. No discredit falls on Macfarlane for the goals scored, but the backs have been better than on this occasion.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 3rd January 1907

Aberdeen in the West. Following up this success Aberdeen came on to Parkhead, where they met the Celtic on January 2. More sheer bits of bad luck throughout the first half it has not been our lot to see in a game for some time Aberdeen played well in the open, and were frustrated from scoring just on the nick of time. On one of the Celts' visit Coleman passed back to Macfarlane, and he failing to reach it, a Celt rushed it bang into the net. Within a few minutes another slip and Celts were two up. It took the heart out of the spectators, leave alone the players There were some capital passages between the left wing and Young, the latter often getting worsted. Macdonald made an ideal partner to Lennie and was the best trickster on the field. The Celts had a much bigger say in the second half, but their third goal was again one of luck's gifts, for Hume turned it into his own goal off a corner kick. Our cup of bitterness was filled to overflowing after this and we were glad when the whistle sounded.

Chatty Bits.

Aberdeen got over their New Year programme without much loss of prestige. They have taken a possible four points out of the four games.
There was considerable regret at the cause of O'Hagan's absence - through the death of his brother - from the team, just at the important game.
The gates were not so large as might have been, still, they will suffice to cover all expenses, with a slight margin.
Aberdeen made Adelphi Hotel their headquarters while in Glasgow, and got every comfort and attention from the management.
They had a round of the pantomimes while there, and enjoyed their off evenings.
We are of, opinion, however, that the League should give one or two home games at the New Year to Aberdeen. It would pay both the visiting and home clubs.
We know that the club can do nothing in the matter further than protest, and this they did at the time, we understand, but we think something more should be done when the fixtures are next drawn up.
It was a happy thought to put Macdonald alongside Lennie in the Celtic match; it proved what a command he has of the ball, which he has not a chance to show on the wing.
Macdonald was the best forward on the field at Parkhead. Muir was much too slow for the Celtic halves, and did not shine as we expected him to do.
The Celts were lucky to get their goals in the way they did. They did not deserve to be more than a goal to the good at the finish.
At Airdrie the game was begun too soon for the crowd. It was a scorcher for pace, with the defence on both sides having a busy time of it.
Simpson and Murray shone in this game, and were untiring in harassing the backs.
At Shawfield, on Saturday, the footwork was hardly perceptible on account of the fog. One felt he could stir it with a stick.
In some quarters it is felt that this game may be allowed to stand on account of the result and the distance which Aberdeen will have to travel if ordered to re-play.
The same reason was addressed on behalf of Clyde last season, in their friendly at Pittodrie, and if the first half had been played full time, it would have been allowed to stand as a League game. Circumstances alter cases.
No doubt the Clyde are badly hit this season by being out of the Scottish ties - and little chance of filling up the blanks.
Falkirk are to leave nothing to chance when they take up their headquarters at Stonehaven this week and go in for special training.
They have a double purpose to serve in this, as it may serve also for their forthcoming tie with the Rangers.
We have no doubt the change will do the Bairns a lot of good, but they may expect a hard run on Saturday.
Given good weather, there should be a big gathering at Pittodrie to welcome Falkirk.
Aberdeen A should have played the 'Varsity in the Aberdeen. shire Cup ties, but the Consolation Cup has knocked this on the head, and the students go to Forres instead, and the 'A to Dundee.
There will be plenty of excitement for Aberdonians at Pittodrie for the next few weeks.
It cannot be said that any of the junior organisations made a fortune out of the New Year games at Pittodrie.
The public were very apathetic in their support, and so even were the ticket-holders, who had free access to the games.
It is a pity that this 'should be so, for the juniors require financial assistance as well as bigger organisations. There were some likely youths in the Ayrshire team who only require a bit of polishing up to make class men.
The best set we saw, however, were those from Maryhill, and it is surprising how they pick them up after their ranks being almost depleted at the beginning of the season.
The final tie between East End and Parkvale upset the calculations of the surviving ores. It was a ding-dong affair, with flashes of combination thrown in.
We believe the juniors are greatly indebted to the Aberdeen F.C, for thus allowing them a chance of clearing their way.
Severe regret has been felt by footballers and cricketers at the death of Mr. Wm. Carnie, the ex-treasurer of the Royal Infirmary. The deceased took a great interest in outdoor games, and was a regular attender at Pittodrie and Mannofield.

Source: Bon-Accord, 9th January 1908

Celtic Teamsheet
Adams; McLeod, McNair; Young, Lonie, Mitchell; Bennett, McMenemy, Quinn, Somers, Semple
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. Kelso, Hamilton
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen