Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Lennie.
Falkirk scorers: Mitchell

11/01/1908 | KO:

At Aberdeen before 10,000 spectators. Aberdeen rose to the occasion, and in the opening stages were value on play for goals. With a penalty off Gibson, Aberdeen failed to score, Allan saving the shot from Murray. In a burst away by the visitors, Colman and Hume made a bad return, and Skene shot hard and true, opening the score for the leaders. Lennie equalised shortly after and the teams crossed over level. Falkirk played disappointingly in the second period, and their complete downfall was saved by the brilliant defence of Allan, Leishman and Gibson. There was no scoring in the second period, and the game ended :- One goal each.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th January 1908

A big crowd of spectators - estimated at between to 10,000 and 12,000 - witnessed a keenly contested and exciting game between Aberdeen and the Falkirk at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, on Saturday. The visit of the Falkirk team - who lead in the Scottish League competition - aroused great interest in northern football circles, chiefly on account of the fact that the Aberdeen players were confident of their ability to defeat the leaders, and eager to avenge a 4-0 defeat sustained by the Aberdeen team at the away League match at Falkirk earlier in the season. Both teams were at full strength and in perfect playing condition, the Falkirk having been specially located at Stonehaven, where the players had the benefit of the invigorating sea breezes. The playing pitch was harmed and slippery in parts, which affected the movements of the players to some extent, but otherwise the weather conditions were ideal for football. The teams were:- Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Murray, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Falkirk: Allan; Leishman, Gibson; Reid, Anderson, Collins; Simpson, MacTavish, C. D. Skene, Mitchell, Davidson.
Referee - Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir.

The Falkirk won the toss, and elected to play to wards the sea. It was quite evident before the game was long in progress that the Falkirk team either were not the force they had been believed to be, or that they were off their usual form. Both teams were eager, and the pace was fast, but so far as cleverness at combination were concerned, the Aberdeen men were masters of the situation. Ably led by Murray in the centre, whose dash and generalship marked him as a greatly improved and still improving centre-forward , the Aberdeen attack was crisp and active, and gave the Falkirk defence no rest. O'Hagan, who rarely caught the eye, has seldom played better, is a lose if manoeuvring for position and well-judged passes to his dashing little partner, Lennie, delighting the spectators. The Falkirk goalkeeper was early called upon, a low shot by Macdonald causing him to handle the ball. There were numerous fouls, no doubt due to the uncertain footing, and the eagerness of the players. And dangerous movement by O'Hagan and Lennie was spoiled by Leishman, who smartly intercepted O'Hagan's pass. The ball travelled quickly from end to end, the backs on both sides kicking rather strongly, while Falkirk's kick-and-rush style of play entailed a lot of running. Aberdeen pressed methodically and determined lee, while Falkirk's attacks were more in the nature of sudden bursts through the enveloping force. Early in the game Lenny, in taking a corner kick, sent very close in, and the ball passing between Leishman's right arm and side, the Falkirk back wrote his arm down, apparently quite involuntarily, and held the ball. A penalty was claimed, and given. Murray took the kick, and gave Allan an easy chance, driving the ball almost straight at the Falkirk goalkeeper, who saved amid cheers. Macdonald caught the ball from the fist out, and shot hard, the ball striking the outside of the net. Aberdeen kept the command of the game, chiefly through the exertions of their half-backs, particularly the Low and McIntosh. Low was a great force on the Aberdeen side, not only completely overshadowing the redoubtable Simpson and his partner, but forcing the attack with bull-like impetuosity. Low was a terror to his opponents, and he scattered like a nine-pins. Lennie and Leishman had some keen tussles, and the Falkirk back had generally to get assistance before he could clear his lines. It was amusing to watch and Lennie dodging about with two or three Falkirk players badgering him. Murray was almost through in one of the Aberdeen attacks, but close in Gibson kicked the ball without a second to spare. Repeatedly the Falkirk goal was in jeopardy, but the defence by unceasing efforts managed to keep the ball out. Murray was eager for Aberdeen, and was always ready for a shot at goal. He gave Allan a hot one to hold. It was most tantalizing to the Aberdeen players that, after pressing the attack for a prolonged period, a momentary slackness should have given Falkirk a soft goal. So keen was the watch kept on Skene, and Simpson by the Aberdeen defence, that the other forwards were frequently unmarked, and it was this that gave Falkirk their goal. Simpson's song the ball across to Mitchell, who, unhampered, kicked softly into the net out of the reach of Macfarlane, who was taken by surprise. It was an easy-got a goal, worked for certainly, but undeserved on the run of play. The Aberdeen men had to struggle long and hard before they got the equaliser. Two corners were forced at the Falkirk end, Lennie taking both kicks. The Falkirk defence got the ball out, and Colman returned with fine judgment. Macdonald got the ball from Colman's second kick, and headed into the Falkirk goalmouth, where an exciting scrimmage took place. Murray headed to O'Hagan, who shot. Allan fisted out and slipped,, Lennie drove the ball hard into the net, equalising the score, at which feat the spectators cheered tremendously. It was a smartly-taken, well-deserved goal. During the remainder of the first half the Aberdeen team maintained their predominance, Murray plying his wings with the ball and worrying the Falkirk defence. Owing to the ball going more to the Falkirk right, and to Wilfred Low's forcing work, the Aberdeen left wing got much more of the ball than the right, which made the defence easier for Falkirk than it would have been with a more open wing to wing game. The trickiness of O'Hagan and Lennie did not produce much in the way of tangible result, the inrushing of Murray, Simpson, and Macdonald being more likely to bring the desired goals. For a period the Aberdeen team played brilliant football, and made their opponents look like third-raters, but no goals game, although an effort by O'Hagan deserve success. The Irishman, after working for position shot with great force, Allan saving on his knees with difficulty. Simpson tried hard to get a goal, but he was always hampered, and could not get force into his shots. The way they were being outplayed did not please the Falkirk men, and some temper was shown, fouls being frequent. It was not until within 10 minutes of the interval that Macfarlane was called upon to handle the ball for the first time, the only other visits to him having resulted in the goal Mitchell scored. Skene tried the Aberdeen goalkeeper with a long shot, but the doughty Rab was equal to the call. One of the surprises of a surprising game was the importance of Falkirk's great Simpson, who got no rope from Low and Hume.

After a good rest at the interval, the game was resumed with much spirit. The pace, though still fast, slackened down as compared with that in the first half. Falkirk had the more of the game, but, except for short periods, Aberdeen continued to hold the upper hand. And the result was that seldom did either team look like scoring. Macfarlane saved from Davidson. The Falkirk half-backs we're predominant, Anderson, who was rather rough, doing a lot of useful work. At both ends the backs were sound, the Falkirk pair, who had most to do, getting rather too much free kicking, although they were, all over, surer than the Aberdeen pair. Colman played with fine judgment, and his lack of speed was not noticeable, as he seldom let the fast Falkirk forwards past him. Low and McIntosh were mainly responsible for Falkirk's failure in attack. Two stronger, more resolute, and on tiring half-backs were not to be found in Scotland. The game was keenly fought out to the very end, Falkirk making a last desperate effort to get on the lead about 5 minutes from time, when the Aberdeen defence shook under the attack. McTavish almost did the trick with a fast shot, which Macfarlane, at full length, turned round the post. From the resulting corner kick the ball bobbed about in the Aberdeen goalmouth, and the spectators were relieved when play was transferred to the other end. There was no more scoring, however, the teams dividing the points.

Aberdeen were much the superior team, and would have got only what they deserved if the score had been 2 goals to 0 in their favour. Falkirk were decidedly lucky in securing a point. Every man on the Aberdeen side was a trier. Halkett, Simpson, and Macdonald have been often seen in better form. Wilfred Low was the hero of a great game. Among the forwards, O'Hagan was an easy first, with Murray and Skene next in order. McIntosh for Aberdeen and Anderson for Falkirk were stout-hearted workers. The Falkirk backs were sore be set during the 90 minutes, and they responded nobly to the calls made upon them. The Aberdeen pair had less to do, and Colman was not beat so often as Hume. Neither goalkeeper got much to do. Simpson, the Falkirk Star, was the weakest player of the 22. On Saturdays display it is difficult to understand how Falkirk are the leaders in the league.

The drawings amounted to £230, including stands.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13th January 1908

The Leaders in Luck.

Very disappointing indeed were the Falkirk on Saturday at Pittodrie. We were on the outlook for some great forward play and some of the shooting for which the leaders have been famed. Of neither did we see very much, Aberdeen's half-backs reducing the attack to a feeble quantity indeed. To begin with our story at the beginning - the crowd was large, but not so large as expected. The ground was still in the grip of frost, but not so much as to render the pitch unplayable or dangerous. Aberdeen, having lost the toss, kicked off towards the west goal, Leishman stopping the break-away. The home side were not to be done with, O'Hagan slipping Anderson beauti¬fully placed well out to Lennie, who had a shot on his own. Repeating this within a few minutes, Leishman handled inside the line, a penalty being granted for the infringement, which we did not think was altogether intentional. Murray took the kick, shooting straight at Allan, who saved, though Macdonald very nearly made amends by shooting over the line. Aberdeen were certainly pleasing their supporters up till now, Falkirk being seldom in the fray except defending. At length Anderson drove well ahead, Davidson getting a clear run, which Coleman tried to stop, and the ball being swung across, Skene netted. Macfarlane might have saved this, but Hume should have stopped the centre. In any case Aberdeen were a goal down after having all the play.

The home forwards went off again and a couple of corners brought the equaliser from the second. Alan saved the first and granted another, and from his save O'Hagan let drive at Allan, and on the rebound Lennie made the goal sure. The Falkirk flier, Simpson, got away shortly after this, but with Low on his track he was yards off the mark when he shot. MacTavish made the only decent mark of the lot which Macfarlane saved well. Up till the end Aberdeen were doing the bulk of the pressing,

Among the Players

Allan kept goal very cleverly for the visitors, while for the amount of work they got to do the backs were easily the best pair on the field, Leishman standing out prominently. Anderson was the best in the mid line, Reid being unscrupulous, while Collins was neat when he got the ball, but was often outwitted. Of the forwards MacTavish appeared to us the hardest worker, the others showing but poor form to what we had expected. Macfarlane was never in danger of letting anything past him but the one shot which opened the scoring. All the others lacked sting behind them, Colman and Hume being quite able to keep the wings in hand. Too much praise cannot be given the halves, whose work was great at all times. W. Low held Simpson every time, and had the famous right-wing tied up. Macintosh worked hard and untiringly, while Halket, though not so good as usual, did very well. O'Hagan was the star of the front line, his play being always effective, and along with Lennie he formed the strongest wing on the field. Murray was good, but was wide several times in shooting. Simpson proved rather selfish and practically starved Macdonald, who was left unmarked often and had splendid opportunities if they had only come his way. But the old weakness was still there - a good shot would have sent Falkirk home pointless.

Chatty Bits.

The gate drawings on Saturday were a long way short of the Dundee record. All in, the money totalled £230 1s.
There was no complaint about having to wait outside on Saturday. The extra turnstiles took all in as they came.
Falkirk, who were at Stonehaven all last week, went home on Saturday, after the game at Pittodrie.
Mr. Nicol thought the "Bairns" were playing very much under form, and was surprised at them.
The reason for the forwards' inactivity was not far to seek, in our opinion. They had a half-back line to meet, which gave them little room to move.
Wilfrid Low was in his element on Saturday, and demonstrated what he can do when occasion requires it.
It was far from championship form that we saw from Falkirk on Saturday, and they will have to buck up for the next few weeks, for they cannot afford to lose points with the Celts so close at their heels.
Aberdeen's play in the outfield was as pretty as we have seen on Pittodrie this season. The one thing needed was a good shot to finish up with.
There was considerable satisfaction round the ropes that the home side did so well, in view of the reputation of their opponents.
We shall be able to judge how Falkirk will fare in their cup tie with the Rangers when we see the latter at Pittodrie this week.
Mr. Murray, the referee, had a difficult role to fill on Saturday, and in our opinion he came out of the ordeal very well.
Aberdeen have decided to stick to Mr. Nisbet as the referee for their cup tie with Albion Rovers.
The Rovers are great cup-tie fighters and may be relied on to make a good show when they come North.
The postponement of the Aberdeenshire ties from last Saturday will mean that it will be the month of February before the semi-final can be reached.
Meantime the charity competition in the various districts is going on successfully, and is proving popular amongst the clubs.

Falkirk. v. Aberdeen


The "Bairnies" took the field last week
'Midst muckle faucht and din.
"Now see and score," Man. Nicol said,
"And gie's anither win."
But ere the game wis lang begun,
Oh! they waur seldom seen,
For they had reckoned a' without
The lads frae Aiberdeen.
The Granite City men arose
As they ha'e daen afore,
And beat the great Falkirk doon ;
Bit still they cudna score.
At last the Falkirk broke awa' -
Their great front line got set -
And ere the Wasps kent faur they waur,
The ba' wis in the net.
This only served tae stir oor men.
At length they got their clue,
And Lennie scored frae nae far oot;
The scores waur equal noo.
The struggle wis begun again,
Wi' baith teams tryin' sair,
And "Good old Wasps" they wud ha' won
If they had jist,ta'en care.
The Falkirk is a great, great team,
O' that there is nae doot ;
But Aiberdeen had them on toast,
And should ha' knocked them oot.

W. A. M. F.

Source: Bon-Accord, 16th January 1908

Falkirk Teamsheet
Allan; Leishman, Gibson; Reid, Anderson, Collins; Simpson, MacTavish, C. D. Skene, Mitchell, Davidson
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries