Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Celtic

SPL Youth 19
Aberdeen scorers: Devaney 77.

27/08/2011 | KO: 13:30

Devaney Wonder Strike Earns Draw

Aberdeen U19s drew 1-1 this afternoon with league leaders Celtic at Balgownie in a fascinating match. Conor Devaney scored a superb goal from 30 yards to give Aberdeen a deserved point. They very nearly won the game when Cameron Smith had a chance in the closing stages although Lukasik had kept the Dons in the game before that with a series of fine saves.

The Dons lined up with a back four of Robertson, Grimmer, Rumsby and Masson. In midfield Smith and Devaney were partnered in the centre with O'Neill on the left and Fraser on the right. Carse and McManus were paired up front again.

Celtic dominated the first half but had few clear cut chances. Grimmer and Rumbsy in central defence were again excellent. As were full backs Masson and Robertson. Celtic did hit the bar with a long range dipping effort but Lukasik otherwise dealt comfortably with everything that was thrown at him. They had a number of corners but the Dons defence pretty much dealt with them. At the other end Dean Carse had one glimpse of goal when he cut inside and although he managed to get a good shot away the keeper saved. Carse and McManus were not given a lot of service though.

At half time Carse was replaced by midfielder Storie as Neil Cooper tried to get a hold of the midfield area. Cameron Smith was pushed just inbehind McManus.

After the break the game was a lot more even. Aberdeen pushed forward in numbers and created some good chances, but at the other end Lukasik had to make four excellent saves. The game became end to end and the first goal was going to be crucial.

Ryan Fraser was beginning to see a lot of the ball and was giving the left back a hard time. He put in a great cross but Masson just headed over the bar. That was minutes before Celtic took the lead with three quarters of the game gone. Irishman Paul George picked the ball up just outside the penalty box. For the first time during the game he found space to turn and hit a low shot right into the corner that Lukasik could not get to. A minute after the goal Lukasik produced a brilliant block when Watt was one on one. That save was to prove to be very important.  

Aberdeen rallied in the closing stages and deservedly equalised with just over 10 mins to go. And what a goal it was. The ball was played forward by Jamie Masson to Cameron Smith. He cushioned the ball into the path of Conor Devaney and the midfielder hit a fantastic first time shot from 30 yards into the top hand corner.

The final 10 minutes provided great entertainment as both teams pushed for a winner. Lukasik again had a couple of good saves but Aberdeen could have won it in the dying seconds when captain Clark Robertson set up Smith but his shot was well saved by Thomson.

A very encouraging result and performance.

Weather: Showers and Windy
Celtic Teamsheet
Thomson, Miller, Chalmers, Irvine, Jones, Fraser, Herron (Williams 63), McGregor, Watt, George (Gormley 82), F. Twardzik. Unused Subs: Daniels, Ridd, Yaqub, Atajic, Fisher.
Attendance: 90
Venue: Balgownie Playing Fields, Aberdeen
Referee: Gary Cheyne