Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Dundee

Scottish Cup Second Round Second Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Crumley (OG), Murray, Lennie.
Dundee scorers: Hall

19/02/1908 | KO:

Great Victory for Aberdeen

This thrice played tie in the second round of the Scottish Cup competition was played yesterday afternoon at Hampden Park, Glasgow, the Queen's Park ground having been mutually agreed upon by the respective managements of the teams interested. The weather throughout was fair, and a good crowd turned out, the drawings at the entrance yielding, roughly, £430, while £60 was taken at the stands. This represents an attendance of some 19,000 people, the gathering including special train loads from Aberdeen and Dundee. Altogether, however, the game was a poor one, play being hard enough and exciting at times, but the standard of football was seldom very high. The best that was seen came from Aberdeen, who thoroughly deserved their substantial victory. Favoured with the wind - which was the principal factor in the game - in the first half, Dundee scored early on through Hall, but this one goal proved far from sufficient when the wind came to be faced, and Lennie equalising in the opening minute of the second half, Aberdeen soon got the lead, and Dundee were quite unable to reduce it. Lennie scored Aberdeen's second goal, and Murray the third. Result: Aberdeen, three goals; Dundee, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 20th February 1908

Yesterday, for the third time within twelve days, the Aberdeen and Dundee football teams met to endeavour to settle their tie in the secnd round of the Scottish Cup competition. Time was - and that quite recently - when Dundee would have accounted for Aberdeen very easily at the first time of asking in a cup tie match or any other match for that matter, but now things are changed. Dundee have deteriorated somewhat, while Aberdeen have improved vastly, until they are now playing as good football as any team in Scotland. In witness of this it may be recalled that in recent times the four leading League teams have failed to overcome the Aberdonians. Indeed, Aberdeen defeated the Celtic - they were the first team to do so - and drew with Rangers, Dundee, and Falkirk. This statement has reference to League fixtures, and since they were played, the Pittodrie eleven have drawn other two games - cup ties - with Dundee. The first of these was played at Pittodrie a week past Saturday, when both sides failed to score. Although this was the case, it was admitted that Aberdeen were the superior team. The tie was replayed at Dundee last Saturday, and half-time saw Aberdeen leading by two goals to nil. There was tremendous excitement in the second half, and towards the close Dundee managed to equalise by scoring two very doubtful goals. The tactics of the team were decidedly questionable, while as showing the kind of game that Aberdeen played, an Edinburgh newspaper said - All is fair in love and war, and cup ties, and Aberdeen need not have hesitated to adopt the one-back game or any of the many artifices resorted to in order to win a tie, but Aberdeen preferred to "play the game." This is a distinct compliment to the sporstmanlike character of the Aberdeen players. As the third round of the ties has to be settled this Saturday, the Aberdeen-Dundee tie had to be decided yesterday, extra time to be played if necessary. Hampden Park, Glasgow, was the scene of the encounter.

Excursion to Glasgow

In connection with the match the Aberdeen Football Club directors had arranged with the Caledonian Railway Company to run a special train to Glasgow, which left at 8:30. The interior of the station yesterday morning presented a heavy demand for tickets. It is estimated that fully 300 people took advantage of the cheap fare. Judging by the appearance of the excursionists, it was quite apparent that a great many of them had nothing to do with the football at all. They were a vastly different crowd from that which journeyed to Dundee on Saturday, and included solicitors, merchants, travellers and even a number of women, all of whom had taken advantage of the cheap fare.

Departure of the Team

The team also travelled by train in a saloon carriage, and were under the charge of the manager (Mr James Philip) and several of the directors. The team which travelled was Mutch; Colman and Hume; Halkett, Macintosh and Low; Macdonald, Muir, Murray, O'Hagan, and Lennie; with Simpson reserve. It was considered unfortunate that Macfarlane should have had to be left behind, but it appears that he sustained injury to his knee last week and this prevented him playing yesterday. Lennie has been suffering from muscular rheumatism since Tuesday, and it was stated on the journey south that he would be a doubtful starter. However, on arrival in Glasgow, the left winger was examined by a doctor, who was of opinion that Lennie was fit to play, although not in the best of condition. Thus Aberdeen had only one change in their team, namely, Mutch for Macfarlane. On the Dundee side Dean took the place of Webb at outside right. The weather was dull in Glasgow in the morning, but fortunately the rain held off, and Hampden Park was in splendid order, although slightly soft on the surface. The game created extraordinary interest in Glasgow, and long before the hour of starting a large crowd was in waiting. At a quarter of an hour before the kick-off there were fully 5000 spectators present, and the crowd was rapidly increasing. The novelty of two north-country teams settling their cup-tie in mid-week, coupled with the reputation of both teams, appealed strongly to the enthusatsts of the second city. The game had also a special attraction for the Queen's Park Club, who play the winners in the third round on Saturday.
A large contingent of prominent football players from various clubs in Glasgow were present. The Scottish selectors were also in attendance, and the prospects of both teams were eagerly discussed.
Just before the hour of starting the crowd had increased to almost 9000, the huge terracing in the centre of the ground being packed.
Over 500 excursionists accompanied the Dundee team. A rousing cheer announced the appearance of the Dundee players in the field, while Aberdeen got an even more enthusiastic reception. There was no sun, but a slight wind blew towards the east goal.

The Game

For the first time in the series of cup-ties between the clubs, the Dundee team won the toss, and played with the wind in their favour. At 3:15 Murray kicked off for Aberdeen. Dundee were first to press. Lennie and Murray forced the game for Aberdeen, and McKenzie kicked out for safety. Dean gave Mutch a stinger to hold, but the Aberdeen goalkeeper saved grandly. Dainty shot over from a corner. The excitement affected the players and the game was scrappy for a time. Rare work by Murray, Muir, and Macdonald was checked by Chaplin. Fraser then shot past from a few yards. Then Mutch saved from Macfarlane. Chaplin was doing great work for Dundee. Lennie had a sprint along the wing, and crossed to the right, where Muir and Macdonald raced ahead, but were blocked by Chaplin. Play continued fast, with Dundee doing most of the pressing. Hall and Fraser were pulled up by Halkett, while hall was again blocked by McIntosh. After 15 minutes' play, a passing run by Dundee was capped by Dean crossing to the centre, and Hall had an easy opening, and beat Mutch with a fast drive. The goal-keeper had no chance. It was a well-taken goal. Lennie and O'Hagan raised the seige for Aberdeen, but the inside left was fouled near the goal-line. The free kick went behind. Aberdeen improved, and Macdonald was doing well on the right wing. Not much football was shown on either side, but the game was keen. McKenzie was warned for fouling Lennie when the Aberdeen man was well ahead. Muir and Macdonald were clever on the Aberdeen right wing, and some lively play was witnessed near the Dundee goal. Chaplin, McKensie, and Jeffrey cleared finely. O'Hagan had a great try from the touch-line. Crumley saved, and the ball came to Muir, who tried a shot, but Dainty robbed him of the ball at the critical moment. Dundee monopolised most of the game, and Aberdeen's goal had a narrow escape. First Muir saved a beauty with his head; while Mutch cleared a shot from Hall, who was only a yard from goal. A wonderful save. Dundee, with the wind, were playing the beter football, and keeping Aberdeen on the defensive. Hunter was going strong for Dundee, and Hall was also prominent. A hard drive by Hunter was finely saved by Mutch, who displayed great judgement in dealing with the shot. The wind was helping Dundee greatly, and agin Mutch saved from Hunter. Aberdeen could not get away from their own goal until a free kick was given against Hunter. There were frequent fouls against both sides. Macdonald jumped on Fraser, and the Aberdeen man was hurt, but resumed in a few minutes. The right-winger responded with a fine run on the wing, and his centre was caught up by O'Hagan, and then Lennie burst through for Aberdeen, beating McKenzie. Nearing goal Lennie shot high over the bar. Aberdeen had more of the game, but were met by a strong defence. Weight was an important factor, and Dundee had the pull. However, the Dens Park men played the more methodical football, and were frequently very dangerus. Hume and Halkett were brilliant in the Aberdeen defence, O'Hagan and Macdonald were also good. Hume was cheered for splendid play, McFarlane missed a fine opening for Dundee and Fraser lost an easy chance. Brilliant work by Hall and McFarlane followed, and play on the whole was fairly even. Lennie tricked the Dundee right half and back, and appeared certain to score, but Chaplin rushed across and cleared with a huge punt. Lennie got hurt in the tussle with McKenzie, but was soon all right.

Second Half

Aberdeen opened the second half with a brisk attack on the Dundee goal, where Chaplin and McKenzie got plenty of free kicking.Aberdeen had all the play, and almost scored from a corner. Crumley just managed to get the bal away in time after a fierce scrummage in the goalmouth. The play was stopped for a few minutes owing to a portion of the net giving way. Two corners were splendidly placed by Lennie, and from the second Crumley fisted the ball through his own goal. Play was reumed with great vigour. Aberdeen showed up splendidly, Lennie especially shining. After dribbling right through the defence, Lennie tried a long shot; it was going straight for the far corner of the net when Crumley jumped up, and made a marvelous clearance.The game was exceedingly keen, and Crumley was kept busy, saving several long drives by the half-backs. Lennie sent across two fine centres, which were cleared by Chaplin, while Dainty stopped another from Low. Aberdeen were pressing incessantly, and Dundee were rarely across midfield. Clever play by Muir saw the Dundee backs beaten, and Murray, rushing in, completely beat Crumley with an easy shot - he simply walked the ball into the net. Dundee now retaliated with great determination, and thrice Colman was cheered for brilliant defence work. Low, McIntosh, and Halkett were all conspicuous? the Dundee forwards being checked at every turn. Play continued greatly in favour of Aberdeen. Dundee, for a time, were greatly upset, and Lennie almost got a third goal, his final shot skimming the crossbar. Dean had a capital chance for Dundee, but lost it through being off-side. Murray at centre forward was doing capital work for Aberdeen. A sudden breakaway by Dundee almost brought a goal. McFarlane dribbled right through the defence, and struck the crossbar with a teriffic shot. Mutch was beaten, but the crossbar saved Aberdeen.

A Brilliant Goal by Lennie

The pace inreased as the game proceeded, Aberdeen being anxious to increase their lead and Dundee to reduce the leeway. A brilliant goal was scored by Lennie after 30 minutes' play. At midfield the ball was passed back to Mackenzie, but Lennie was too quick, and trapped the ball before the back could recover. Racing through for goal, Lennie kept the ball under thorough control. He ran righ to within a yard or so of Crumley, and completely beat the Dundee custodian. An old Queen's Park player told our representative that he had rarely, if ever, seen a more brilliant goal scored on Hampden. Aberdeen continued to play grand football. McDonald ran straight through the defence, and shot hard and straight, Crumley made a spring, and miraculously saved what looked a certain goal. Murray and Muir were leading the attack splendidly for Aberdeen. A momentary burst away by Dundee was finely checked by Colman, who cleared a rare drive by Fraser. Dundee pressed hotly for a time, and Low nearly scored against his own side. Mutch, however, caught the ball, and saved the situation. Dundee now seemed to lose heart, and played very disappointingly. Aberdeen, on the other hand, were clever to a degree, and held a good grip of the game. The forwards combined beautifully, and the defence was solid and safe. The Aberdeen players lasted the game much better than their opponents, and were full of running right to the finish. The Aberdeen backs were repeatedly called upon, but wererarely at fault. Colman's kicking and tackling were a feature of the closing stages. To the finish Aberdeen were easily the better side, and won handsomely.

There were over 20,000 spectators. The gate amounted to £430; stands £60 - total £490.

Summing Up

Aberdeen were full value for their win, and it would have been no surprise had they won by a bigger margin. In the first half Dundee were the better team, but had the assistance of a good breeze. Aberdeen apparently kept themselves in reserve for a great rally in the second half. This turned out as anticipated. Dundee were hardly ever in the game. Lennie was the most brilliant forward on the field, and his third goal was the crowning effort of a very fine afternoon?s football. To a man the Aberdeen players were much in front of the Dundee in all-round ability, and only Dundee?s height saved them from a bigger beating. After Lennie, Muir did great work among the forwards, and McDonald gave a most rereshing display of pluck and clever football. Murray was fair in the first half, but along with O'Hagan played finely after change of ends. Halkett was outstanding in a dour, determined half-back line, Low and McIntosh being very good in the second half. Colman and Hume were safe all through the game. The right back was particularly good in the second half, while Hume did splendidly in the opening stages. Mutch had little to do in goal but quite justified his position. Chaplin was Dundee's strong man. He played a sturdy, safe game all through, and was not excelled on the field. McKenzie was no match for Lennie, and tackled weakly. Lee was the best of the halves, closely followed by Dainty. McFarlnae carried off the honours in a poor forward line. Only during a short time in the first half were the Dundee forwards seen to advantage. They were a beaten team five minutes after half-time.
Aberdeen play Queen's Park at Pittodrie on Saturday in the third round of the cup, when another great game should be witnessed.


The Scene at the "Journal" Office

Those who do not take an interest in football can scarcely form an adequate idea of the intensity of the excitement that prevailed among followers of the game in Aberdeen yesterday afternoon previous to he result of the match being made known, and of the extraordinary enthusiasm displayed when it was announced that Aberdeen had gained a decisive victory. It had been intimated that special reports would be published in the "Evening Express," and long ere the half-time result was due a large crowd gathered in front of the "Journal" and "Express" office. The announcement that Dundee were leading by one goal to nothing at half-time was naturally disappointing to the supporters of the Pittodrie team, who, however, with the knowledge that the northern men had been playing against the wind in the firsrt period, were confident that their favourites would yet give a good account of themselves. A considerable time before the game had finished in Glasgow an immense crowd had assmbled in Broad Street to await the final result, and presently the thoroughfare became absolutely impassable. Several policemen strove hard to clear a passage through the solid mass of humanity, but their utmost efforts were futile. One awkward reuslt of the tremendous crush was that the telegraph messengers found it almost impossible to get to the door of our office with the telegrams reporting the progress of the game. Fortunately, however, we were in direct communication with Glasgow by telephone also, and were immediately appraised of every point in the play. When it was announced from the "Journal" office that soon after the start of the second half of the game, Aberdeen had scored a goal and had thus drawn level with Dundee, a rousing cheer went up. A little later a second goal gave Aberdeen the lead, and the intimation of this evoked still greater enthusiasm. It was, however, on the announcement being made that the final result was a win for Aberdeen by three goals to one that a scene unparalleled in Aberdeen since the stirring days of the South African war was witnessed. From the thousands of people packed solidly together from Union Street to Queen Street a mighty cheer arose and was again and again renewed. Hats and caps were waving in all directions, many of them being thrown in the air, and there was general handshaking on the part of the crowd. They did not disperse then, however. Within a few seconds the "Express" printing machines with their enormous capacity for turning out papers ready cut and folded, were at work, and then a large corps of newsvendors were doing a "roaring" trade in selling the "Express" with the first published report and final result of the game issued to the public of Aberdeen. This edition also caught the south and north going trains, and the demand for it was enormous.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 20th February 1908

The Hampden Victory.

After all, though it did displease some of the home supporters, the decision to re-play the drawn game with Dundee at Hampden turned out one of the most satisfactory deals Aberdeen F.C. have made. The game itself is now a matter of history and has been well reported on everywhere, still we must add our congratulations to the players and officials for the success which they accomplished so well and so decisively at New Hampden. Being present, we can heartily endorse all that has been said, and, as a matter of fact, the result might have been anything over 3-I, so rampant were the Pittodrie men in comparison with the halting style of the Dundonians. The players who impressed us most were Murray at centre forward, Macintosh at centre half, and Hume at back. These were superior to anything on the Dundee side, for whom Dainty and Chaplin were the only men who stood the pace. The knock-out came as a surprise to the Dundee people, but it was deserved on play.

Source: Bon-Accord, 27th February 1908

Dundee Teamsheet
Attendance: 24,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr J. B. Stark
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen