Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Clyde 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Clyde scorers: Cunningham, Hall
Aberdeen scorers: Muir.

29/08/1908 | KO:

These teams met at Shawfield Park, Glasgow, before 8000 spectators. Clyde in the first half gave a surprisingly good display, particularly the halves, who played a useful breaking up game, and never allowed the Aberdeen forwards to settle. Clyde's first goal came as the result of good play by Spiers, although Cunningham scored the point, and shortly afterwards, Hall added a second. These reverses made Aberdeen play up, but they could make no impression on the Clyde defence until near the interval, when, from a corner, Muir netted the ball. At half-time Clyde led 2-1. In the second half the game was fast and always interesting. While the Aberdeen forwards were the smarter lot, they could make no impression on the Clyde defence, who gave as fine a display as has been seen at Shawfield for many a day, and it was due to them, together with good play by the halves, that Aberdeen failed to score. The game resulted :- Clyde, two goals; Aberdeen, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st August 1908

The Aberdeen team played their first League match away from home on Saturday. Owing to the train in which they travelled being behind time, the Aberdonians were 20 minutes late in reaching Shawfield Park, there a crowd of about 10,000 spectators impatiently awaited their arrival. The weather was fine, and the pitch in good condition. Teams:-

Clyde: McTurk; Watson, Blair; Walker. McAteer, Robertson; Dickie, Spiers, Cunningham, Hall, Kirwan.
Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Blackburn, Muir, Dalgarno, O'Hagan, Lennie. Referee - D. J. Liddell, Glasgow.

Aberdeen kicked off, and at once attacked, McTurk having to save from Dalgarno in the first minute. Clyde, however, were soon busy round much, and after some good outfield play Cunningham, accepting a pass from Spiers, beat Mutch with a good shot a couple of minutes from the start. Following this point, play was much in favour of the homesters, and Mutch had numerous shots to deal with. Clever work by the visitors' right wing transferred to play to the other end, but the ball was put past. Immediately after the Clyde forwards got away in a body, and after some fine play Hall beat Mutch for a second time. Aberdeen's front rank took a much larger share in the game after this, but the home backs set up a strong defence. Clyde had quite the best of the game for a time, and they forced a corner. The kick, however, was unproductive. The visitors' right were often prominent with some fine runs, but Blair, who was playing a fine game, held them well in hand. After a spell of midfield play, Kirwin and Hall carried the play to within reach of Mutch, and from an infringement a penalty was awarded, but cunning and taking the kick shot softly into the goalkeeper's hands. Aberdeen next forced a corner, but it was unproductive, and Clyde were soon busy again round Mutch. Some fine play by the home left looked dangerous, but Colman returned, and then Aberdeen, after clever play by O'Hagan, forced another corner, but it was fruitless. Aberdeen were now showing up much better, despite the fact that they were a man short, Blackburn having had to retire owing to an injury. The home goal had many narrow escapes. Close on the interval Muir scored for Aberdeen.

On resuming, Clyde were the first to become prominent, Kirwin having a fine run, but Hall finished up by shooting wide. Following some midfield play, Lennie got off on a fine run, but Watson stepped in and cleared, and at the other end Kirwin nullified his good outfield play by weak finishing. Clyde next forced a corner, but it was unproductive. Kirwin was the best forward on the field, and Colman had considerable difficulty in holding him. From another of his fine runs Kirwin forced a corner, but it was no more successful than its predecessor. A grand clearance by Blair let Kirwin and Hall away, but the latter was effectively tackled before becoming dangerous. After some good outfield play, in which all the forwards participated, Aberdeen forced a corner, but it was also abortive. Aberdeen were now pressing in a most determined manner, and but for the strong defence of the home backs must have scored. The home halves were also playing and effective game. Aberdeen played well enough in the open, but they could make nothing of the home defence. After a spell of the attacking by the visitors, during which McTurk had twice to save low down at the post, Clyde again transferred play, where Kirwin missed by inches. Keeping up the pressure, Clyde forced a corner, but it was unproductive. Both sets of forwards were clever in the open, but the defence was rather strong for them.

Gate, £231; stands, £11 - £242.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 31st August 1908

Aberdeen's Misfortunes.

It became known after a great many spectators, like ourselves, had reached Shawfield that Aberdeen had wired from Perth that their train was an hour late and the start would not be till 30 minutes after the advertised time. A long cold drive to the field of play was not the best way of bringing players fit to engage in a hard game. It was quite plain that the Aberdeen players were lacking in their usual dash when the start was made. They seemed to do nothing right to begin with. The backs were flukey and slow, and Mutch not nearly so active as he became later on. The two goals he let past him in the first quarter of an hour were "soft things" compared to what he saved afterwards.
In the front line there was an absence of combination which let the Clyde halves pretty much burst up any individual effort. Add to this a fairly strong breeze to contend with, and you have the situation at Shawfield pretty fairly summed up. The subsequent play, once the visitors got into their stride, was such that a draw would have been a much fairer criterion of the run of play, and we shall be very much surprised if Clyde gain full points at Pittodrie. There was not that superiority in the one team over the other as to give the points to either. Clyde were seen at their best before Aberdeen got wakened up from their long journey, and in the second period McTurk was right on the spot when two capital shots from O'Hagan and Muir ought to have squared the match.
We do not belittle the Clyde's team by any means ; they are a vastly improved lot from that which represented them last year. They should get better as time goes on by acquaintance with one another. In our opinion, Muir's goal was the best one of the three scored during the afternoon, and, like many more, we left the field thinking the fates had been hard on Aberdeen to be beaten 2-1, when the play was only value for a draw. The success which has attended Clyde in their opening games was shown by the increased attendance at Shawfield. Aberdeen must have taken away a good fair sum with them. As this was the first time we have seen Aberdeen in Glasgow this season, and the conditions were altogether against forming a correct idea of their play, we should hesitate to unduly condemn or praise the players on one game. The left wing are as tricky and clever as ever, but they were well watched. At centre Dalgarno looked afraid of McAteer, and no wonder, for Mac is a tearer of a player. The right wing are not so strong as last season, and do not cover the same ground. The middle line are all right, and so are the backs, but Mutch fails to catch the eye like Rab Macfarlane. On the home side Kirwan was the best forward on the field, and if he had his old partner, O'Hagan, with him they would make a rare wing. Clyde's halves are strong, bustling players who do not hesitate to use their weight, and the backs are heavy and sure rather than smart. McTurk kept a fine goal and saved the situation several times.

Chatty Bits.

The only consolation which Aberdeen had in their defeat on Saturday was the share of a big gate - the largest ever they received at Shawfield.
After the first ten minutes Aberdeen's centre was seldom in the game. M'Ateer was responsible for this, keeping a watchful eye on the youngster.
Rangers easily topped the gate receipts on Saturday with £733 all in. Dundee came next with £530, and Clyde £242.
Saturday is the date for the first round of the Qualifying Cup. It will be a busy one amongst the provincial clubs.
The tit-bit of the Scottish League on Saturday is the meeting of Aberdeen and Rangers at Pittodrie.
Judging by the reputation which the Rangers are earning for goal scoring, Aberdeen will be for a big dose this week-end.
Aberdeen have never beaten the Rangers yet, and are not likely to do so on this occasion.
Interest will be centred in the play of Tom Murray, who wore the "black and gold" last season.
Macintosh will have his work cut out to stop the Rangers' centre, who is an old pal of the Aberdeen player.
It is generally expected that McNair will take his place at centre for Aberdeen on Saturday.
The team of "all the talents" are a heavy-built lot, and will take more shifting than Aberdeen's light-weights can give them.
There was more trouble than the Aberdeen-Hearts affair at the North-Eastern Association meeting, for Leith were awarded their tie with Hibernians, the latter being late in starting, and full time was not played.
Mackie, who kept goal for East Fife last Saturday, is a mute. He is clever between the sticks.

Source: Bon-Accord, 3rd September 1908

Clyde Teamsheet
McTurk; Watson, Blair; Walker. McAteer, Robertson; Dickie, Spiers, Cunningham, Hall, Kirwan
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. D. J. Liddell, Glasgow
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen