Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Fraserburgh 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Fraserburgh 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire Cup Second Round
Fraserburgh scorers: ?
Aberdeen scorers: Walker, Green.

20/12/1913 | KO:

Plucky Fight By Fraserburgh

There was a regrettable incident at the close of the Fraserburgh - Aberdeen Reserves tie at Fraserburgh, when the referee was mobbed. In the course of the game he had occasion to order off Gibb, the local goalkeeper, and his action was resented by a section of the spectators. At the close of the game there was a hostile demonstration against the official, who had to be escorted from the scene under the protection of the Fraserburgh Club officials. The game resulted in a 2-1 victory for Aberdeen Reserves, but the Fraserburgh Club have intimated a protest against the action of the referee. It is some considerable time since so exciting a game was witnessed locally. Both teams were strongly represented.

Fraserburgh won the toss, but there was little advantage to be had from this, as the weather conditions were ideal for good play. The ground was firm and the air crisp and bright. And removal of the players was followed with breathless interest, and the spectators had ample value for their money. Although played during the greater part of the first half was of a give-and-take order, there were numerous exciting passages. Both defences discharge their duties admirably. Fraser rose first disappointment was caused by John McNab, who from a well-placed corner missed the goal. Give the effected a splendid save from McIntosh, but soon after, and within about 5 minutes of half-time, Walker opened the scoring for the visitors. From the 25 yards range he sent in a beautiful shot, which completely beat Gibb's brilliant effort to save. Close on half-time a lively scrimmage was witnessed at the visitors' goalmouth, and Fraserburgh had exceptional hard lines in not scoring.

The second half speedily developed into something in the nature of a fiasco. The formidable defence of the visitors proved too much for the home team, whose staying power was not equal to that manifested by the visitors. Soon after the reopening, Green scored what was considered up by the onlookers to be a somewhat doubtful goal. The temper of the crowd was not made any sweeter by the fact that the referee horde of Fraserburgh as goalkeeper off the field for "speaking back." This action on the part of the referee was greeted with tumultuous jeering, and right till the end of the game the referee came in for a large share of attention. Finnie, right back, took up his position between the goals sticks, and proved a worthy successor to game. Spasmodic efforts were made by the homsters to score, but the Aberdeen men pressed during the greater part of the second half.

,b>Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd December 1913

Fraserburgh Teamsheet
Gibb; Finnie, Tait; Strachan, Buchan, Simpson; McDonald, Paterson, Birnie, John McNab, James McNab   Gibb
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Hume, Watson, Munro, Munro, Brewster, Keith, Murray, McIntosh, Walker, Brown, Green.
Venue: Bellslea Park, Fraserburgh
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride