Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hibernian scorers: Peggie, Main
Aberdeen scorers: O'Hagan.

14/11/1908 | KO:

At Easter Road, Edinburgh, before 5000 spectators. The game was splendidly contested, and the Hibernians were the first to score through Peggie. O'Hagan equalised soon after, but Main from a free kick put the home team ahead. The second half saw the Hibernians the better team, but no further scoring took place, though Aberdeen had a chance of drawing level from a penalty. Result :- Hibernians, two; Aberdeen, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th November 1908

Aberdeen, who were at Edinburgh a fortnight ago, when they played a drawn game with the Hearts, revisited the capital on Saturday and met the Hibernians at Easter Road in a league fixture. The ground was somewhat heavy after the rainfall in the four noon, but at the hour of starting the conditions were favourable for the game. About 6000 spectators witnessed the much. The teams were as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Blackburn, Simpson, Mcnair, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Hibernians: W. Allan; Maine, S. Allan; there'll, Paterson, Duguid; Ritchie, Harker, Peggie, Callaghan, Smith.
Referee Mr. Faichney, Falkirk.

To Aberdeen kicked off against the incline, and no sooner had the ball been sent a-rolling than Simpson and Blackburn raced off on the visitors' right wing. S. Allen relieved with a strong punt, but Aberdeen returned with a clever movement on the left wing, which was checked by Main. To McNair made a good effort to force matters in the centre, but was somewhat slow in his movements, with the result that the home backs had plenty of time to clear, although Main was lucky in getting the ball away after a miskick near the goal-line. Played rolled even for the opening 10 minutes, the first attempt at scoring coming from the Hibernians right wing. Harker got on the ball just inside the penalty line, I and, dribbling a few yards, the inside right let drive, his shot passing outside the upright. This incident led up to more spirited play on both sides. Lennie had a smart run along the left wing, and crossed to the right, where Blackburn, who was in a capital position for scoring, was pulled up for offside. Play was keen, but the heavy ground was all against good football, and it was noticeable that the Hibernians adapted their style of play to the conditions, where's Aberdeen went in for the short-passing game, which was a mistaken policy. Duguid, at left-half, was prominent for the Hibernians SP at this stage, and rarely allowed the Aberdeen right wing to get near goal. A long, drooping shot from Duguid was headed clear by Hume, who in turn sent the ball along the left wing to Lennie. The latter, however, could make nothing of Maine, the Hibernians' right back. Once, however, the Aberdeen left-winger got the better of the Hibernians' stalwart back, a beautiful cross from Lennie being headed out by S. Allan, while next minute Halkett attempted to beat the goalkeeper with a long shot, which, however, went over the bar. Ritchie had a capital shot at the other end. The outside right quote up a pass from Peggie and let drive with his left foot. The ball went spinning past the post - so close indeed that many were under the impression that the goal had been scored. Aberdeen were rarely allowed to cross midfield for fully a quarter of an hour. The Hibs pressed with great vigour, and Peggie was blocked by Colman within a few yards of goal. At the same time, however, the Hibs' centre attempted to kick the ball clear of Colman, who received the full force of Peggie's put on his shins. After a brief stoppage the game was resumed. Aberdeen were soon at the other end, and but for a remarkable, though somewhat lucky, clearance by Allan, the visitors would have been a goal up. Blackburn got away on the right, and subsequently passed to McNair. Laughter run through the backs, and was actually within a yard of goal when he shot straight for the net. The goalkeeper was practically in a hopeless position, but he managed somehow to divert the course of the ball with his right arm at full stretch. McNair, however, should have tipped the ball to the opposite corner instead of shooting straight at the goalkeeper. The next noteworthy incident was a fast shot by Peggie, the ball travelling with great speed just outside the net, while next minute O'Hagan made a good effort to beat Allan, following upon a corner to Aberdeen. The Hibernians, however, played the more robust, go ahead football - the style of play best suited to the nature of the ground. A twenty-five minutes from the start the home team opened the scoring. All along, Smith, outside left, had given considerable trouble to the Aberdeen defence, and when he ultimately gave Peggie a beautiful pass just inside the penalty line, the centre rushed ahead and banged the ball into the net - the shot beating the goalkeeper all the way. Five minutes later Aberdeen equalised. A spirited rush by the forwards ended in McNair crossing from the right to O'Hagan, who in turn gave to Lennie. The latter shot, but Allan saved, the ball coming back to O'Hagan, who beat the goalkeeper with a low drive. The Hibs retaliated with great determination, and it was more luck and good play that prevented the downfall of the Aberdeen goal. A regular scrimmage ensued front in front of Mutch. Peggie, Harker, Callaghan, and Ritchie all missed easy chances. First McIntosh and then Halkett got the ball away in the nick of time. Mutch rushed out of goal and fell on the ball. Another scramble followed, until Mutch got on his feet and sent the ball flying into touch. The Hibs were certainly worth our goal at this stage, and it did ultimately come, though from an unexpected quarter. Hume fouled Ritchie fully 35 yards from goal, a way out near the touch line. The game was stopped for a few minutes, and Ritchie retired. The Hibernians' got a free kick, and just when most people were expecting Main to pass the ball to one of his own side, the right backs surprise to hold by kicking the ball right into the corner of the net. Mutch was completely deceived, for you only started off to clear when the ball was in the net. At half time the scores were - Hibernians, 2 goals; Aberdeen, 1. Figure's represent the run of the play.

When the game was restarted, it was seen that Ritchie had got over his accident, and was in his position at outside right. Aberdeen were the first to become dangerous at the opening of the second half, but the Hibernians' backs had little difficulty in clearing. Peggie raced off in the centre, cleverly tricked Colman on the run, and had only Mutch in front of him within a couple of yards of the goal-line, but, to the surprise of everyone, the Hibs' centre sent the ball wide of the net - indeed, and gentle touch was all that was required in order to put his side farther ahead. Aberdeen, however, were also faulty in their shooting. Once in particular McNair got right through between the backs, and ought easily to have scored. A tall events, he had a comparatively easy opening, but in his anxiety, McNair sent the ball high over the bar. The pace never slackened, and although the football was not of a high order, still the play was on the whole fairly interesting. The Hibernians appeared particularly anxious to increase their lead while Aberdeen were equally determined to get on an equal footing. A capital shot by Lennie was kicked clear by the left back, while Simpson was robbed by Main when the inside right was steadying himself to shoot. Smith invariably led off the attacks by the Hibernians' forwards, who, however, were not so good this half. McIntosh was prominent for sound defensive play, but the backs were not safe when pressed. Brady was again at fault when he lost a clear chance of scoring within a few yards of goal. Lennie and O'Hagan improved Aberdeen's prospects of drawing level, but the first-named was fouled when in a good position for scoring. Aberdeen monopolised the play for a time, the Hibernians being kept strictly on the defensive. Main stood out prominently by reason of his superb back play - indeed, this player was undoubtedly in a class by himself. To him was due the credit of keeping out Aberdeen midway through the second half. Lennie, although playing well, had considerable difficulty in getting past the Hibs' right back, while Main was also instrumental in clearing centres from either wing when the Hibs' goal was in danger of falling. A breakaway by Smith almost brought a goal to the home team. The speedy left winger finished with a fast shot, which Mutch just reached with the tips of his fingers, the ball being tipped over the bar. Simpson drove the ball into the Hibs' goalmouth, where S. Allan miskicked. O'Hagan rushed in, but failed to take advantage of an easy chance, sending the ball harmlessly past the outside of the post. Lennie got on the ball a few minutes later, and passed in front for McNair to rush in and score. The centre picked up the pass, dodge the backs, but just when he was in the act of shooting, he was badly fouled by S. Allan. The usual award followed, but Simpson, who took the kick, shot straight for the goalkeeper, who saved, the crowd cheering him again and again. Aberdeen four with renewed vigour, but were kept well in hand by the Hibernians' backs. Towards the finish the game fell away, and the closing stages were devoid of interest.

The game amounted to £123 9s; stands, £16 5d - total £139 14s.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th November 1908

New Leaders.

By the defeat of Aberdeen at Easter Road on Saturday, Dundee take top place, closely followed by Rangers, St .Mirren, and Aberdeen. The League games on Saturday were all pretty tame affairs,with the exception of the Rangers and Queen's Park game, in which the Amateurs drew with the supposed best team of professionals in Scotland. In such a spirited tussle as this, the Amateurs more than held their own, earning a point which was well deserved, and doing a great deal to open out the competition. Celtic seemed to be toying with Port-Glasgow, and only won by 2-1. St Mirren had to go all the way with Motherwell, but eventually emerged triumphant by 3-1. The most prolific scoring was that of Airdrie against Partick the 'Onians winning by 6-0, and at Dundee, where the new leaders beat Kilmarnock 5-0. Falkirk had a hard fight, with Third Lanark, the "Bairns" scoring the only goal won the game. Morton got a severe drubbing from the Clyde, 4-2, and these champion drawists, Hamilton Academicals, scored their eighth draw with Hearts. 1-1.

Aberdeen Lose a Hard Game.

On the general run of play, it will be admitted by all fair minded persons that Aberdeen did not deserve to lose at Easter Road. A draw would have fittingly represented the abilities of both sides.

The journey to the capital was a dispiriting one in the early morning, rain falling of the way, but it cleared before the game began, leaving the pitch, however, very treacherous. Aberdeen went away well, but their shooting lacked sting; otherwise Allan would have been beaten before the game was a minute old. The visitors carried the ball well into the Hibs' territory, but an opponent was always ready to divert the shot. Quite to the liking of the home crowd, the Hibs got into their stride, and gave Mutch several good ones to hold. Peggie had the honour of opening the score from a cross by Smith, which the inside right made every use of, beating Mutch all the way. In little time, Aberdeen were at the other end through Blackburn, who squared in lovely fashion. O'Hagan slipped back to Lennie, who brought Allan to his knees, and Charlie watching the rebound sent the ball home. As the result of a bout between Hume and Ritchie, a foul was given against the Aberdeen back, a double toot was sounded, and before the visitors were aware of it, the ball was in the net for a second goal to the Hibe. Fast and interesting play ensued after this, and the second period saw Aberdeen do almost everything but score. When MiNair was well set, and almost through, he was unceremoniously bundled over inside the penalty area, but R. Simpson failed to equalise, and at the end the Hibs very nearly added to their score through the halves lying down a bit. As already stated, the score, to have been a true reflex of the play, should have been level instead of 2-1.

Play and Players.

It was quite openly stated in discussion at Easter Road that the Hibs had not lost anything by allowing Rennie away, for Allan and Main proved the undoing of the Aberdeen shots on Saturday. Main was inclined to be rough in his way, but Allan is a good "goalie." Birrell was the best half, and put in a lot of work. The forwards were a bit disjointed at first, but once they got going worked well, though Callaghan and Ritchie filled the eye most. Mutch kept a great goal; Colman was safe, but we have seen Hume a long way better. The halves were untiring, and never flinched till towards the end, when they appeared fagged a bit. As usual, the left wing were well supplied with the ball, but they could not do everything, and a sturdy back undid their work-too frequently. McNair was in fine form, and Blackburn proved himself one of the most dangerous forwards on the visiting side.

Chatty Bits.

Easter Road has never proved a happy hunting ground for Aberdeen forwards. They have always failed at the pinch.
The Hibs have always been fortunate in having a good goalkeeper, and Falkirk's last year's custodian is shaping as well as any that have appeared for the Edinburgh Irishmen.
Aberdeen have yet to score their first League win in this enclosure, and they will have to wait for another year before they can do it. They can divide the points when the Hibs come north.
The League race is now in a very interesting position, and will be keen till the New Year Holiday's are over, when places will be more easily allotted.
It will be no surprise to learn that Dundee have fixed up with Kemp, the clever inside right, who played at Pittodrie on Saturday.
This player hails from West Ham, and came north on the recommendation of Bellamy. He is a "veritable box of tricks."
Aberdeen are badly off for half backs just now. Macfarlane and Simpson are on the injured list, and Low has left the town.
Macfarlane was confined to bed all last week as a result of his accident at Arbroath.
The semi-final of the Qualifying Cup on Saturday produced two great games. Brechin, City consider they were unlucky in their tussle with Ayr Parkhouse, and contend that full time was not played.
All the same, they will have to journey to Ayr on Saturday. If they can repeat their last performance away from home all will be well. If not, that five minutes will be a sore point with them.
Leith were lucky to draw with the Leven, and will have to do much better at Alexandria this week if they mean to enter the final.
It is to be hoped both ties will be finished this week, so that the final may be brought off on the original date.

Source: Bon-Accord, 19th November 1908

Hibernian Teamsheet
W. Allan; Maine, S. Allan; there'll, Paterson, Duguid; Ritchie, Harker, Peggie, Callaghan, Smith
Attendance: 6,500
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Mr. Faichney, Falkirk
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen