Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Mirren scorers: Brown

06/03/1909 | KO:

At Paisley. There was a heavy fall of snow throughout the first half. All through the game St Mirren were the superior team. Playing in the first half against a strong breeze, they still managed to keep the visitors on the defence, but did not succeed, owing to the brilliant work of Mutch, in scoring till near the interval. Brown was the scorer. Aberdeen, on resuming, showed greatly improved methods, O'Hagan, Niblo and Murray being specially prominent, but they soon fell away again. St Mirren continued to press. Several times they had the Aberdeen defence mastered, but they could not manage to beat Mutch, whose display between the posts was splendid. Result :- St Mirren, one goal; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th March 1909

Aberdeen and Saint Mirren played off their postponed league match at Love Street Ground, Paisley, on Saturday, the original date of the fixture being January 16, when a snowstorm put football out of the question. On Saturday the weather was again very stormy, snow falling heavily throughout the first half of the game. Very few spectators were present when the teams lined up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, Hume; Halkett, McIntosh, Low; Blackburn, Niblo, Wilson, O'Hagan, H. Murray.
Saint Mirren: Grant; Robertson, Wilson; Key, Allan, Milne; Clements, D. Paton, Brown, Carmichael, Husband. Aberdeen won the toss, and had the benefit of a strong wind in their favour. The game had been in progress for only a few minutes when a perfect blizzard rendered good football well nigh impossible. The visitors were fortunate in having choice of ends, but even with this advantage they made little impression on the Saint Mirren defence. Aberdeen carried the play to wards the Saint Mirren goal in the first minute, but cant easily cleared, and soon the paisley forwards were busy at the other end. The left wing got right through the Aberdeen defence, Husband crossing to Brown, who, however, was pulled up for offside when almost under the crossbar. Murray, Wilson, and Niblo got away for Aberdeen, and matters were becoming serious for Saint Mirren when the backs were beaten, but a foul against Wilson road relief to the home team. The snowstorm raged furiously at this stage, and for a time it was almost impossible to follow the movements of the players. The wind blew with terrific force from the pavilion end of the field, while the snow continued to fall more heavily than ever. A long pass by Niblo to Murray looked promising for Aberdeen, but the left winger just failed to reach the ball near the goal-line. Aberdeen kept the game in Saint Mirren territory for a time, but the strong gusts of wind completely spoiled any attempts at shooting on the part of the visitors. Wilson broke away and got clear of the backs, but his parting shot went wide of the uprights. The Aberdeen left wing payer were prominent in an attack on the Saint Mirren goal, and O'Hagan got past three opponents quite close to the home goal. He made an effort to turn in the ball near the corner of the net, but was finally hustled off the ball by the backs. The best shot of the game so far came from Wilfred Low, who sent in a fast drive along the ground, which Grant smartly cleared. Continuing the pressure, Aberdeen lost a fine chance of scoring when Wilson was pulled up for offside after Murray had crossed the ball from the left. At this stage the Saint Mirren the half-backs were specially prominent. Key, Allan, and Milne gradually forced to play towards the Aberdeen goal. The ball was sent out to the left, where Husband picked up a fine pass from Milne, and finally crossed to the right. Paton, however, was ruled offside, and us a fine opening was lost. Aberdeen were almost entirely on the defence for fully 10 minutes, the play of Saint Mirren against a strong wind and blinding snowstorm being far ahead of that shown by Aberdeen. Indeed, the paisley men were worthy of a goal at this stage, but the Aberdeen backs set up a capital defence. Carmichael, Milne, and Husband were particularly prominent for Saint Mirren, and it was wonderful how they managed to keep the ball under control in the teeth of the storm. Murray got away on the Aberdeen left, and, after getting past Key, the left winger shot straight for the net. The his effort, however, was a trifle high, the wind carrying the ball over the bar. Murray followed with another shot on the run, which Grant caught and cleared. Two corners to Aberdeen were successfully cleared by Grant, while Low headed over the bar from a third corner. Aberdeen were ultimately forced back on their own goal, and for fully quarter of an hour the Saint Mirren held the upper hand. Eleven minutes from the interval the Saint Mirren scored through Brown, although Carmichael deserved the credit of the goal. The inside left sent in a hard drive, which Mutch just managed to touch, the ball striking the crossbar with great force. Before Mutch had time to clear, Brown rushed in and placed the ball in the net. Aberdeen were now hard pressed, and shots from Key, Allan, and Milne were blocked close to the goal, while Carmichael and Paton each had capital tries. The Saints appeared likely to score at any moment, and only the vigilance of Mutch, Colman, and Hume kept the Aberdeen goal intact. Near the interval Colman sent in a surprise shot, which Grant just managed to clear, while later on Low and McIntosh each had good tries, the Saint Mirren goalkeeper clearing finely on both occasions.

During the interval the touchlines were swept and re-marked, as were also the lines near the goal and penalty area. When the game was restarted the wind had fallen considerably, while the snowstorm had abated. The Saint Mirren were the first to get away after the kick-off, Clements being prominent on the right. A corner followed, which was cleared, and next minute Mutch saved a high shot from the left. Aberdeen, however, improved as the game went on, and for a time play was over very even nature. The ground was heavy, and it was with considerable difficulty that the ball could be passed with any degree of success. Murray, O'Hagan, and Wilson kept the play at the Saint Mirren end of the field, and just when the outside left was making for goal he was badly fouled by Robertson within a yard of the penalty area. A long pass by Paton to Clements brought out the sprinting powers of Colman, who raced across the field and managed to intercept the ball before Clements had time to reach it. The game on the whole was very interesting, for only a goal divided the teams, and Aberdeen renewed their efforts time and again to get on a level. Their forwards tried hard to gain the equaliser, but even when they got near Grant there was no sting in the shooting of the visitors. Saint Mirren almost increased their lead when Alan sent in a hard drive, which Mutch cleared, while later on the goalkeeper saved shots from Brown and Carmichael. Colman and Hume defended stoutly, both kicking strongly, while the three half-backs were also reliable in defence. Still, Aberdeen were lucky in being only a goal down at this period of the game, for Saint Mirren were undoubtedly the better team. Husband beat Mutch with a fast drive, but the left winger was adjudged offside. Next minute the Aberdeen goalkeeper brought off a splendid clearance in dealing with a fine shot from husband. Clements next run right through the Aberdeen defence, and finished with a great shot on the run, Mutch saving cleverly. This was followed by a terrific shot from Carmichael, the ball striking the upright and rebounding right across the field. Aberdeen were completely outplayed, and it was only the brilliant work of Mutch in goal that prevented a heavy score being registered against the visiting side. He saved shots from Husband, Milne, and Brown in quick succession. At the other end of the field Grant was seldom tested, although and Niblo had a fine chance of equalising the game, but shot weakly into the goalkeeper's hands. A free kick near the penalty line gave Aberdeen an opportunity of saving the game, but the ball was easily got away by Key. Aberdeen made repeated efforts to draw level, but were held in check at every turn, Saint Mirren being the better team in almost every department.

The Saint Mirren deserved their win, and their one-goal victory by no means represents their superiority. Much was the most conspicuous player on his side, and saved his team from a heavy defeat. The gate amounted to £34; stands, £six - total, £40.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 8th March 1909

Aberdeen Lose Again.

It is all very well for the home side to play up in a blizzard, but it takes a lot of courage for a team that has to travel to face the storm Aberdeen had to do at Paisley on Saturday. St Mirren had out two new players - and both turned out as play went in the very best light. The ground was heavy, and required care to move on, while the wind was an important factor all through the game. Aberdeen were in doubts as to the composition of their team till the last minute, as W. Low was travelling from London, but arrived in time - after a cold journey, and R. Simpson had to cry off through illness at the last moment. In this unsettled state they were some time before they took any part in the attack, the Saints giving the visiting defence an anxious time to begin with. There was little to describe in the game, the home forwards understood the conditions better and played accordingly, while Aberdeen's attack was either too late in getting there, or their shooting went wide. It was a trying day for Halkett after being off so long, still, he was not the worst by a long way. The best point of the Aberdeen side was their defence, and the king of the lot was Donald Coleman, who came off with some clever work. St Mirren got a goal which Mutch had no chance of saving, and this was all they got. This clearly proves that the defence are in no way to blame for this run of defeats. As already indicated, the forwards are very far below their proper form, being slow, ineffective, and quite careless-like in their movements. We are quite prepared for some radical changes if an improvement is not made by some of those whom we will not mention at present.

Chatty Bits.

Poor "gates" were the rule in the Scottish League games on Saturday.
The weather was solely responsible for the poor attendances - and little wonder, for it took some courage to go out of doors on Saturday.
Mr Mason, of Burslem, who refereed the · Newcastle - Sunderland tie, is the same official who was at Pittodrie in the famous Aberdeen-Rangers Scottish tie.
Scotland plays Ireland at Ibrox on Monday in an Association International, and Mr Mason will officiate there.
This is the first international on Ibrox Park since the great disaster. There have been great alterations on the grounds since then, and solid earth terracing has taken the place of the huge wooden erections.
The selction of the team to meet Ireland was made on Tuesday night, and contains several Changes. On' Wednesday week the Angle-Scots game is down for decision at Cathkin Park. Glasgow enthusiasts will have plenty of football for one week.
Arrangements are being made in Glasgow for a cheap trip to the Crystal Palace to see the English International. Will Aberdeen be overlooked?
The semi-final of the Scottish ties is not due till Saturday week.
The report that Clyde were to change the venue of their tie to Parkhead has turned out to be incorrect, for the management are making extensive, alterations on Shawfield to house the large crowd expected.
Rangers would have preferred Ibrox to Brockville Park for their tie; but the "Bairns" know a good thing.
Bobby Simpson had to stand down from the Aberdeen. team on Saturday owing to a severe attack of toothache after he arrived in Glasgow.
Wilson had to take up his place in the front line. Handy man is George, who can play anywhere.
The funeral took place last week of Mr. · William Low, the oldest brother of Henry and Wilfrid. The deceased was once well known in athletic circles in Aberdeen before business took him so much away.

Source: Bon-Accord, 11th March 1909

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Grant; Robertson, Wilson; Key, Allan, Milne; Clements, D. Paton, Brown, Carmichael, Husband
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Referee: Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen