Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Airdrie scorers: Ritchie 20
Aberdeen scorers: Millar 15, Simpson 60 (Pen), Lennie 82.

25/12/1909 | KO: 14:15

At Airdrie. The Airdrieonians made a good start, but Aberdeen eventually gained ground, and Stewart scored the first goal with a high shot. A minute later Ritchie equalised for Airdrie. Following this, the Airdrieonians were granted a penalty kick. Nicoll took the kick, and Mutch cleverly saved. Resuming, play was exceedingly fast and interesting, notwithstanding that the footing was somewhat treacherous. With twenty minutes of the second half gone, Aberdeen were granted a penalty, Simpson took the chance, and scored for the Aberdonians. A couple of corners neatly placed were smartly turned aside by Mutch, who throughout had played a great game for his side. Result :- Aberdeen, three; Airdrie, one.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th December 1909

The return league match between Aberdeen and the Airdrieonians was played at Broomfield Park, Airdrie, on Saturday. The ground was frostbound, but a large quantity of sand was spread over the field in the early part of the day, and the players were thus enabled to obtain a good foothold, although near the touch lines the hearts of this handicapped the extreme wing forwards to some extent. There were fully 2000 spectators when the game was started at 2:15, the teams being as follows:-

Aberdeen: Mutch; Colman, William Low; Davidson, Wilson, Miller; H. Murray, Simpson, McKenzie, O'Hagan, Lennie.
The Airdrieonians: Ewart; Hill, Davidson; Findlay, McGran, Stewart; G. Ritchie, Thompson, Nichol, Donaldson, Young.
Referee - Mr. J.Bell, Dundee.

The Airdrieonians opened strongly on the left wing, Donaldson and Young leading off with a promising run, in the course of which the outside left got past Colman and centred. The ball was crossed to the right, but first Thomson and then Ritchie failed to pick up the pass. The home forwards were again in evidence, Ritchie crossing right in front of goal, where Nichol was standing unmarked. He met the ball with his head, and just missed scoring, his effort skimming the crossbar. Aberdeen retaliated with an attack at the other end. Davidson, Airdrie, failed to get the ball away when hard pressed by Murray and Simpson. The Airdrieonians passed the ball back to the goalkeeper, but the latter fumbled badly, and before he could recover Murray fastened on the ball. The outside right, however, failed to improve on his opening, his shot just missing the open goal. For a time the game ruled very even, neither side claiming any advantage over the other. At the end of 15 minutes' play, however, Aberdeen opened the scoring. Murray crossed from the right, and Ewart rushed out to clear. The goalkeeper succeeded in getting the ball away, but it went only a few yards up the field. Miller got on the ball, and almost immediately let drive, his shot landing in the corner of the net. The goalkeeper would probably have saved had he regained his position when Miller shot for goal. As it was, the ball passed over Ewart's head and just under the bar. 5 minutes later the game stood level. The Airdrie forwards attacked in a body, and soon the Aberdeen defence was in difficulties. The ball came out to Ritchie, who beat Mutch with a very fast shot close in. The subsequent play went greatly in favour of the Airdrieonians. Young, Nichol, and Donaldson all had good tries, but Mutch was always in readiness to deal with the shots sent in. Colman brought off a smart bit of tackling when he checked Young close on the goal line, while Low got through a lot of useful work, although lacking the steadiness of his partner. After 30 minutes' play a penalty was given against Aberdeen, Wilson fouling Donaldson inside the penalty area. Nichol took the free kick, but although he sent in a very fast drive, Mutch managed to stop the ball, but could not get it away. Young came rushing in, and ought to have scored, but the left winger banged the ball high over the bar. So well were the Airdrie half-backs and backs playing that Aberdeen rarely crossed midfield. Lennie seldom got the ball, being closely watched by Hill. Simpson, Murray, and O'Hagan tried hard to force matters, but as a rule they were checked before getting dangerous. Mutch dealt in capital style with shots from Nichol and Donaldson, the goalkeeper being specially good in clearing his lines when surrounded by the home front rank. The Aberdeen keeper fairly astonished the crowd by his cool, resource full saving, and but for his work at this stage the Airdrie men would undoubtedly have been on the lead. Near half-time the home team played desperately hard for goal, and on play were deserving of the league, but Aberdeen's defence was solid, and kept their lines intact.

The Airdrieonians again took up the running after the interval, Young and Donaldson being prominent on the left wing. Mutch cleared a stinging shot from Donaldson, while next minute Colman and Wilson were responsible for some daring defensive work near the Aberdeen goal. The pressure, indeed, was of the most severe description, but much and his backs, splendidly supported by the half-backs, kept the eager Airdrie forwards at eight. For fully 15 minutes Aberdeen had to act on the defensive, and then, as the result of their fast break away, the visitors took the lead. Murray was in the act of rushing straight through for goal when Stewart attempted to elbow him off the ball, while at the same time Airdrie left half got hold of Murray's hand. The referee signalled for a penalty, which Simpson took and beat you up with a fast shot. The game now became exceedingly fast, the Airdrie men hemming in Aberdeen on all sides. A stout, resolute defence, however, refused to be beaten. Shots were sent in from all directions, and on three occasions within 5 minutes' time the ball went banged against the goalposts when the visitors' defence appeared to be well beaten. Thrice in succession Mutch cleared his goal following upon corner kicks, while Thomson, inside right, completely missed the ball when standing almost under the bar. On another occasion Wilson, while racing across the goalmouth, got the full force of the ball on his shins, and went sprawling on the ground. The blocking of the ball, however, saved a certain goal. Later on Colman checked Young within a yard of goal, while Davidson pulled up Young in splendid style when the left winger was well within shooting distance. Miller and Low between them successfully checked Thompson, and then Mutch saved a hot handful from Ritchie. Ultimately the pressure eased off, and Lennie, almost for the first time in the match, showed a glimpse of his best form. He gradually got the upper hand of Hill, and soon the Airdrieonians were defending for all they were worth in order to prevent the downfall of their goal. Eight minutes from time Colman took a free kick just outside the penalty line. He placed the ball to Lennie, who let drive for goal. Ewart saved, but the ball was returned, and Lennie had another try, which proved successful, a fast, slanting shot beating Ewart all away.

Considering the run of the play, the result of the game flatters Aberdeen. The losers were distinctly unfortunate to get beaten by such a score. Aberdeen, on the other hand, accomplished a really smart performance in view of the trying time experienced by their defence. There was no mistaking the earnestness of their forwards, however, when they did get near goal, for they seldom allowed any chances of scoring to escape them.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 27th December 1909


Aberdeen commenced their holiday tour on Saturday, when they visited Airdrie on League business. The weather was quite frosty and clear overhead; but the pitch, which had been liberally treated with sand, was ice-bound in parts, and rather dangerous for fast-going. Players found difficulty in gauging the ball off rebounds, as it came with greater velocity than usual. In this manner the ball was frequently in touch, the halves having more than their ordinary work to do to keep it in play. The first item of note occurred shortly after the game started, when Colman made to clear a bit of combination and fell in the attempt, thus letting the home forwards in on Mutch with nothing to stop them. Their shooting off the hard pitch was a good bit wild, and the same remark applies to the Aberdeen's right wing, who immediately after had a golden opportunity offered them for opening the score. Play was transferred from end to end with great rapidity, and though the 'Onians got away frequently, their marksmanship was not so good as those of the visitors. Taking a bigger hold of the play, Aberdeen made the home defence look lively. Some good shooting was indulged in by the forwards, Ewart being exceptionally clever, and one from Lennie he was only able to clear with nothing to spare, when Millar fastened on and potted the ball over the heads of those in front. The equaliser came almost immediately; the rush should have been checked at the start, but the 'Onians got into their swing, and could not be stopped till the ball was safely past Mutch. A simple infringement inside the penalty line was harshly punished with the maximum penalty, but Mutch saved brilliantly, having anticipated the move by Nicol, he made the kick look a very trifling affair indeed. To the close of half-time, Aberdeen were more in the picture, and honours even when the whistle blew about represented the value of the play.
It was Aberdeen's second half; they forced the pace, and were always dangerous at goalmouth. Lennie and O'Hagan were strictly shadowed, the consequence being that Murray and Simpson got more of the ball and made it spin along to some tune. Another trifling penalty was granted against the home side this time, and Bobby Simpson made no mistake, Ewart being helpless to save. Continuing the pressure, Aberdeen were due another, but somebody or something always got in the way of well-directed shots. Lennie, however, got a stray shot his way, and worming past the defence, the goalkeeper was beaten for the third time with an express, which he could not have looked. at. There was no doubt about the better team now, Aberdeen sending on their Christmas greeting with a 3-1 victory to their home supporters.


Ewart, the reserve goalkeeper for Airdrie, is a lively chap, and had some daring saves; in fact, we question if Macdonald would have done as well on such a hard pitch. The backs played well but the burden of the work was thrown on the middle line, who were in splendid trim. In the front line, honours were carried by the right pair, who gave Mutch some very hard shots to save. The centre was a bit erratic, while the left were fair. Mutch showed how capable a custodian he is by only allowing one goal past him in an afternoon when mistakes could have happened at any time. Not given to gallery work, he gets there, and clears quickly, his away performance stamping him as one of the best custodians at present. Bar that accidental slip, Colman was great, and being concerned in coaching young Low, Donald put in a great amount of work. For a first appearance Low did well. He lacks experience certainly, but that can only be remedied by play, otherwise he did as well as any that could have been put in his place. The halves were all good, with Millar slightly ahead of the other two.
McKenzie was good and bad by turns. He was quick on the ball, passed judiciously, but he wants to he played regularly before one can seriously write about him. He has one good trait, and that is, he is a trier all the time. It was only on occasion that O'Hagan and Lennie. were allowed much freedom to get away, but what they did do was generally dangerous. Simpson and Murray were more frequently seen, showing some fine work throughout the game. On the run of the play we should say Aberdeen deserved their win.


The compliments of the season to our readers.
A better result than that which came from Airdrie on Saturday Aberdonians have not got for some time, and they seemed to enjoy it.
The management were getting severely roasted for playing young Low at Airdrie, but their choice was justified on play.
It was quite apparent to those at Pittodrie that Harper has not recovered from his illness, and was soon seen to be limping and out of condition. Harper would never have stood the game at Airdrie.
"Better a younger, sound trier than an experienced player out of condition," was the remark of one sage counsellor.
In the cup tie between Fraserburgh Thistle and Ellon United on Saturday, the Thistle won a good game by 4-1.
Evidently the sea trip had been too much for the Aberdeen players when they were beaten by 7 goals to 2.
This is the largest number of goals that Mutch has let past him for many a day. Somebody must have been blundering. We hope to see better things this week.
As usual at this holiday time, there are many visitors in town. On Saturday we saw Jim Dalgarno at Pittodrie, looking quite well. He expects, to turn out for the London Caledonians soon.
We hear considerable growling at the North British Railway Company for not running a special to Dundee on Saturday.
How can they expect people to travel if they don't offer facilities. The present fare is too dear for a single day's outing.
An explanation of how O'Hagan does not figure in the Irish trial games is found in the fact that Aberdeen could not afford to give Charlie leave of absence, especially as the selectors could see him play on Boxing Day in Ireland.
Once this holidays are over, the serious business of the cup ties will be upon us. Then the internationals will fill the picture, once the second round is past.
In the selection of teams there is a feeling that the claims of Mutch cannot be overlooked. He has the lowest number of goals scored against him in the League, for this season.
He fairly took the fancy of the Airdrie people by the way he saved a penalty on Saturday.

Source: Bon-Accord, 30th December 1909

Airdrie Teamsheet
Ewart; Hill, Davidson; Findlay, McGran, Stewart; G. Ritchie, Thompson, Nichol, Donaldson, Young
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Referee: Mr. J.Bell, Dundee
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries