Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 2 Heart of Midlothian

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Heart of Midlothian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Travers, Murray, McIntosh.
Heart of Midlothian scorers: Melrose 7, Wilson

05/11/1910 | KO:


Fully 7000 spectators were at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, for this League game, and these were treated to a fast, exciting match, the issue of which was in doubt till the last minute. The Hearts had a new centres, in Melrose, a Coldstream player, who had been trained by Newcastle United. Within six minutes of the start he profited by a faulty save by King to score the first goal, but in a subsequent Hearts aggression he failed at a header from a good square by Sinclair. The game ran on fact lines after this, and Travers scored the equaliser for Aberdeen, and Murray put them ahead. Between these, Melrose missed badly from a pass by Harker, while close on the interval Walker shot over. Half-time:- Aberdeen, two goals; Hearts, one. The greater part of the second half saw Aberdeen attacking and the Hearts defending. Soye missed badly once when McPhillips slipped, but outside of this the defence was able for its work, Collins especially doing well. The last fifteen minutes found the Hearts in great form, and Aberdeen were hemmed in, but held out splendidly, till Wilson put a drooping ball over the heads of the players and scored. Hardly had the ball been centred than Aberdeen rushed down, and a soft shot by McIntosh dribbled between McPhillips' legs, while he was watching the oncoming Murray. The Hearts fought desperately to the close, and forced a corner, but could not again draw level. Result:- Aberdeen, three goals; Hearts, two.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th November 1910

The last 3 minutes of the Scottish League match between Aberdeen and Hearts at Pittodrie on Saturday were more exciting to the 8000 spectators than all the rest of the game put together. At the beginning of that period Aberdeen held a 2-1 lead, the Hearts equalised, and they had no sooner done so than a blunder by the visitors' custodian allowed Aberdeen to take the lead, this being followed by an indescribable scene of enthusiasm. It was one of the most exciting finishes ever seen at Pittodrie, and meant that Aberdeen retained their record of not having lost at home. The teams were:-

Aberdeen: King; Colman, Hume; Wilson, Wyllie, Robertson; Soye, McIntosh, Murray, Travers, Lennie.
Hearts: McPhillips; Collins, Graham; McLaren, Wilson, Nellies; Sinclair, Walker, Melrose, Harker, Brown.
Referee - Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie.

Winning the toss, Aberdeen played eastwards with the sun and a slight breeze in their favour. Hearts right were prominent at the start, but good tackling and feeding by Robertson saw Aberdeen's left force a corner, and McPhillips had to fist out a header from Wyllie. The visitors' left retaliated with a combined movement which commenced a period of sustained pressure on the home goal. Walker, dribbling grandly, seemed set for scoring when Wilson stepped in. Soye brought relief with a good run and centre, which Lennie sent into McPhillips's hands. Resuming the aggressive, the Hearts repulsed all the efforts of the homesters to shake them off, and good work by Sinclair led to them taking the lead. King misfielded a cross from the winger, and, before he could recover, Melrose had scored. After this the home defence seemed to waver, and for a time it was all odds on the Hearts increasing their lead, especially with walker this playing all his old-time dribbling powers.
Another cross from Sinclair looked like being crowned with success, but Melrose misheaded, and then in a rally Aberdeen equalised through Travers as a result of good work by McIntosh. King was not too sound in the home goal, and several times he showed a nervousness in dealing with simple shots which caused much surprise to the spectators. Robertson relieved the Hearts' pressure by testing McPhillips with a long drive. Aberdeen began to get the better grip of the game. Lennie emulated walker in the art of dribbling, and some good passages were witnessed as a result of the combination of the home of left wing. Soye, too, along with his partner, never lost an opportunity of making ground, but the Hearts' defence was stout and sure. A break-away by Brown and Harker saw Melrose spoon the latter's pass high above an open goal. As the result of Lennie's superb dribbling, Aberdeen took the lead, and it was fortunate for them but they did so at this time, for afterwards the attack was well mastered. Working into the centre, Lennie sent out to Soye, who gave to McIntosh. The ball ultimately going to Murray, the centre scored with a shot similar to that of Travers'. At times after this there was good play on both sides, and the goalkeepers were frequently tested. In the closing stages of the half Aberdeen forced a series of corners, but the Hearts' defence held out.

On the restart, Soye early took the eye with smart dribbling work, and cutting into the centre, he tested McPhillipss with a shot which the keeper was fortunate to clear. Hearts were dangerous through Harker, but Colman relieved, and then allowed Lennie to get away. The latter crossed in front of goal to Soye, his effort 20 inches wide. Aberdeen attacked vigorously after this, but could make little of the hearts defence, who, combining strength with science, easily held the locals in check. Twice in succession Collins was fortunate to block shots by McIntosh and Murray, but apart from this the home forwards were well held. Each side had corners in turn, and as the game progressed the result into a defensive duel, neither centre forwards the Allard far in. Both sides at times short some combination, but this was often upset by the amount of big kicking which obtained. Brown and Sinclair, the Hearts wingers, were often dangerous, but, like those of the Aberdeen wingers, their crosses were usually intercepted by the opposition. As time wore on, Hearts made strenuous endeavours to equalise, and a long shot from Brown which King fell upon to save almost counted, but Wyllie cleared amidst a crowd of the opponents. Four minutes from time in a desperate rally Wilson equalized for Hearts from a corner, and then ensued a most extraordinary incident in which the Hearts goalkeeper was the central figure. The ball was centred, and McIntosh, working well down, had a long-distance try, which had almost spent itself before reaching McPhillips. The custodian stepped out to gather the slowly-moving ball, but he unaccountably missed the sphere, which rolled slowly into the net. Hearts' medal last frantic effort to equalise, a secured a corner in the closing seconds, but Aberdeen retained the lead thus luckily got, Hearts being unfortunate to lose.

The Oakbank Industrial School Boys' Band was in attendance, and discoursed music previous to the start of the match. A collection was taken in aid of the distressed affected by the shipyard lock-out.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 7th November 1910

After a spell of wet weather, Pittodrie pitch was just on the heavy side when the teams appeared on Saturday. There was little wind lo speak of, but a strong sun was a disadvantage for some time, though it did not affect the play to any extent. The Hearts have always provided good sport when they come north, and a testimony to this was found in the splendid attendance at the game. It was also apprent to us that the Hearts occupy their present lowly position in the table more by bad luck than that the team who wear their colours are players under the average. They put up a great fight, and Aberdeen would not have been disgraced had a division of points occurred.

We were treated to a sensational start. McPhillips had a hot handful in the first few minutes, the clearance being effected very smartly and letting the speedy left wing away, they parted midway to Sinclair, who had a tussle with Hume. The home defender got left, and sending across a soft shot, King foozled his clearance, Melrose running in with the ball seven minutes from the start.
It was a bad mistake on King's part, and seemed to unnerve him through the whole game, for he was not nearly so sure as he was on the previbus week. This success on the part of the visitors set the home side into their game, and though they were some time in equalising it was not their fault, for the Hearts' defence put up a strong game. It was a nice move out of many that Travers succeeded in beating the visiting goalkeeper with. Several times the Hearts made valiant efforts to increase their score, and only the fine work of Colman and Hume kept them out. Once Melrose got through with only King to beat, but he shot sideways without provocation of any kind.
Lennie brought the ball well down, and crossing at the right moment, Macintosh tapped and back-healed to Murray, who shot into the opposite corner of the net from where McPhillip was. Half-time came shortly after this, and without leaving the field, the teams went away, Aberdeen showing the way.

Soye had a couple of well-directed shots saved by the goalkeeper. This was followed by a grounder from Murray, and a good effort by Lennie only missed by inches. A change came over the game for some time, for the Hearts "bucked up," and for a long spell they kept hammering away for a goal. It was bound to come, and come it did. In a melee the centre-half got possession, and sending high in, King was beaten a second lime, though his view on this occasion was obstructed.
In less than a minute Aberdeen were on the lead. Murray, along with Macintosh, Travers, and Soye, carried the ball along, the latter taking the parting kick at close range. The crowd went delirious over this, so unexpected was the move and so cleverly done. It would have been only their due had Aberdeen scored again, but Collins chipped in with a remarkable clearance with Lennie close on him.
Hearts got a corner, which was cleared, and the whistle sounded with Aberdeen victors by 3-2.


One can hardly understand the Hearts' position in the table, if Saturday's game was a sample of what they can do and have done. They gave Aberdeen the hardest run for the points we have seen them get at Pittodrie this season. Possessed of a very capable defence, the halves, though robust, are hard workers: while they have a very fast forward line. Advised and guarded by that master of ceremonies Bobby Walker, they made ground fast, but their shooting was far from the Mark.
On the home side King played the poorest game we have seen him do this season; but this must not discourage him - the best of players have their off day. Colman was again the better of the two backs, Hume being ineffective at first with Walker and Sinclair who led Jock astray several times. The whole middle line played under form, Robertson, who played for Millar, was good and bad by turns, and so were Wyllie and Wilson, who were under their usual standard of play by a good bit.
Tom Murray was the best of the forwards by a long way. He distributed play very smartly, and performed some clever moves on his own. It would be difficult to say that any of the others excelled to a great degree, for they all performed their parts well, though their accuracy in shooting is not nearly so good as it was. It was through no fault of theirs that more goals did not come, for they were running up against a strong defence, who seemed to understand all their moves.


Aberdeen will run a special train to Dundee on Saturday, leaving the Joint Station at 12 noon, and returning from Dundee at 7.45 p.m. The fare for the return journey is 3/5.
Millar's recovery has been much speedier than was at first expected. In fact, he might have played last Saturday, but the management thought it best to rest him for a week.
There were really only two goals in Saturday's match, the other three ought to have been scored.
The light was going rapidly when the game at Pittodrie finished on Saturday. The dull days and poor gates will worry the club managers now.
So far, the Aberdeen management cannot complain, for they have been well supported at home and away.
They had a gate close on £200 on Saturday, and if they maintain their form till the cup ties the drawings will be considerably higher.
The general verdict from those who saw Aberdeen Reserves at Firhill Park on Saturday was that they do not require to go far for substitutes when they have such a capable lot to fall back on.
With a little luck Aberdeen A Should have been up in the first half, but they failed to pick up their chances. Is their "off" season to come now?
So long as Hume is able, Aberdeen need never want for a scoring centre-forward. At least, that is the opinion of those who saw the left back last Wednesday against Fraserburgh.
Wyllie also proved a surprise packet as a forward, in the game, but he has done duty there before.
When you come to consider it, Aberdeen have a most versatile team at their disposal just now. Several of their players can play anywhere, and play well, too.
And so we are to have neutral linesmen in the League along with referees. Let us hope there will be an improvement in conducting the game.
For our part, we do not wish to see a game better handled than it was at Pittodrie on Saturday.
We hear there is also an effort to be made to increase the referees' tariff. If it were to improve the status of the referee, we do not see that any harm would be done.
The whole matter has been remitted to a committee to report, and we don't expect there will be any alteration made for some time yet.
The draw for the Scottish Junior Cup ties places Aberdeen Hawthorn against Mugiemoss and the Richmond meet Perth Violet at Perth.
Peterhead have at last got rid of Maud in the Aberdeenshire ties. Aberdeen play,the winners next month.

Source: Bon-Accord, 10th November 1910

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet
McPhillips; Collins, Graham; McLaren, Wilson, Nellies; Sinclair, Walker, Melrose, Harker, Brown
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie