Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Rangers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Main.
Rangers scorers: Goodwin, Reid

16/09/1911 | KO:

Exciting Play: Losers Unlucky

Fifteen thousand were present at this match at Aberdeen. Aberdeen kicked off, and within a few seconds Main narrowly missed scoring. Throughout the first half Aberdeen played the more purposeful football, and were much oftener in evidence than their opponents. Main scored twenty minutes from the start, and Aberdeen were undoubtedly worth their lead. The Rangers attacked occasionally, and Bennett gave King a great shot, which the local custodian held well. Up to half-time Aberdeen maintained their lead, and might have had a better advantage. Soon after the restart Rangers rallied in splendid form, but it was a misunderstanding among the home defence that allowed Goodwin to equalise. Within a minute Reid had given his side the lead, and despite the utmost and at tomes promising efforts of Aberdeen to draw level, Rangers won by two goals to one.

After the game had finished a portion of the crowd broke into the ground, and there was a hostile demonstration against the visitors on account of a difference of opinion between a player and a spectator. Nothing serious occurred.

Source: The Scotsman,18th September 1911

The largest crowd of the season saw Aberdeen beaten by Rangers in a Scottish League match at Pittodrie on Saturday by two goals to one. On play, the home team were decidedly unlucky to lose. They had the greater part of the play, and, except for a short period after the interval, forced the game throughout. It was in that brief space they lost the match, as Rangers, taking advantage of the slackness, secured two goals in a minute. While at times Rangers displayed some really good football, on the whole, they were disappointing, and failed to line up to the reputation which their great record this season had created.


In the first half especially the compared unfavourably to the home side, which moved with greater accuracy, were nippier on the ball, and showed the better understanding. That period saw Rangers defending for the greater part. Their halve s- great line though they are - failed to hold the speedy and dashing Aberdeen forwards. The backs were fearless, but unsteady. Especially was this the case in regard to Campbell, whose kicking was much below his usual standard. Their forwards, once they got off, moved in great style, but the Aberdeen halves and backs, by tireless work, kept them well to the outfield. Aberdeen, on the other hand, while they shaped prettily, and showed a crate cleverness in the field, were over anxious near goal, and several chances went abegging on this account. They showed by far the more freedom of action, and, playing an open game, the forwards and halves had Rangers' defence repeatedly in difficulties. Although less frequent on the aggressive, Rangers were always dangerous when they invaded the home territory, and brilliant for some of their moves were, they were counter-balanced by masterly work on the part of the Aberdeen defence. It was unfortunate for Aberdeen that Lennie, the usual left winger, was unable through injury to take his place, and while Neilson, of the reserves, who deputized, played fairly well, the evident weakness of the position disconcerted the Aberdeen forward line at close quarters, and in no small degree was responsible for the side not holding a stronger than the only goal lead at the interval. The play of the home side in the first half the lighted the spectators, and while all realized that a single goal lead was no assurance of victory, they were well satisfied and the side had so well held its own against such redoubtable opponents.


The same story, with different results, was told in the second period of the game. At the restart Aberdeen attacked as before, but after a time the slack and down, and then it was Rangers' opportunity came and was accepted. Inside a minute they scored two snap goals. Before the eager rush of the Rangers' forwards, the home defence wavered, and a misunderstanding between the goalkeeper and backs allowed the first goal to go through. Aberdeen had not recovered from their surprise before the defence was again peers, and Rangers had won. After this, although with less unanimity and in the first half, Aberdeen again applied pressure, but try as they would, failed to beat down the opposition. It was at this critical period that the Rangers' backs and halfs showed up in the true light. They were robust - a fact which, naturally, did not find favour with the home crowd, still they carried out their trust. Aberdeen were repeatedly penalised by the referee for infringing the offside rule. Some of the decisions were doubtful, and were given at critical periods of play, a circumstance which was not without its effect on the Aberdeen players. Reviewing the game, Rangers were lucky to win and very fortunate not to loose. They were well mastered in the first half, and it was then, while they were far and away the superior side, that Aberdeen should have gained a stronger lead. Rangers' first goal lead to their second, and it was in that brief space, when they were off the Qui vive, that Aberdeen lost and Rangers won.


There were many exciting passages of play in the game. In the first minute brilliant work by Wood and Main saw the latter send a good ball just wide of the post. Then Rangers, led by Smith, pounced on the Aberdeen goal, and Reid headed over from a difficult position. It was after 20 minutes of persistent trying that Aberdeen opened the scoring. Receiving from Wyllie, Main dribbled through brilliantly, and, although hampered by Campbell, place the ball well out of Lock's reach. A great scene of enthusiasm followed the goal. Garden dribbled beautifully on the Rangers' right wing, but superb work by Wyllie set Aberdeen again attacking. The home right wing display brilliant form, and Soye especially always parted with the ball to good purpose. Wilson, Colman, and Wood all had creditable shots at goal. Numerous corners fell to the home side, but they failed to again get through. Meanwhile the Rangers were by no means idle, and King had to save a great shot from Bennett, who dispatch the ball from outside the penalty line.


Aberdeen sported at the start of the second half, but their efforts by the way. In a surprise run by Reid and garden brought the equaliser. King, the home goalkeeper, signalled to his backs to leave the ball to him, but before he could clear Goodwin had dispossessed him and netted. The goalkeeper was injured, but soon recovered. Another goal followed immediately. Smith got off on the left, and, centring to Reid, that player gave King no chance to save. After this Aberdeen made repeated attempts to equalise, but they were met by a resolute defence. On one occasion the ball cannoned off Richmond with terrific force from an effort by Main, and the ball whizzed past the outside of the upright with great speed. They failed to equalise, however, and were unfortunate losers. At the close a hostile demonstration was made by a section of the crowd against the referee and the visiting players. Several stones were thrown, but neither official bar players were injured.

The drawings, exclusion of stands, amounted to £300, which represents an attendance of over 14,000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th September 1911



Immediately after the football match between Aberdeen and the Glasgow Rangers at Pittodrie Football Park, Aberdeen, on Saturday, scenes of a rowdy nature took place within the enclosure and in King Street. A good deal of stone-throwing was indulged in, but fortunately no one was seriously injured, although a few boys were cut on the head by stones. The Rangers players and officials drove to the Joint Station in cabs in order to catch their train for the south. Nearly all the way from Pittodrie to Urquhart Road in King Street the cabs were stoned. The occupants, in order to escape injury, pulled their jackets over their heads and crouched as near the bottom of the camps as possible. In King Street the rowdyism was confined to about 200 youths who had got out of all control. Although a few policemen were in the thoroughfare, they were almost powerless to put an end to the scenes or to hold rowdy youths in check.


From start to finish the game was fiercely contested. Although Aberdeen and lost by two goals to one, it was generally considered that on play they did not deserve to be defeated, and this was mainly responsible for the outbreak. All went well until about 7 minutes from the finish when a spectator through a stone at Gordon, one of the Glasgow players. This was the signal for a section of the crowd in the vicinity of where the incident happened to break into the playing field. The game was stopped for about a minute until the police had restored order and cleared the crowd off the pitch. Shortly after two of the spectators recommenced fighting at the rear of the west goal, and the police had again to put a stop to hostilities. When the referee's sounded his whistle at the close of the game the crowd broke in. Mr. Murray, Stenhousemuir, and the Rangers players were surrounded and jostled. The pitch was a black mass of people, who hooted and jeered. Mr. Murray got into the pavilion without injury, but fully 5 minutes elapsed before all the Rangers men got into their dressing-room. The players were subjected to a good deal of jostling. A large staff of policemen, which included a few plainclothes officers, cleared the crowd out to the grounds. Several stones were thrown, but none of the players were injured.


A large crowd assembled outside the grounds to await the departure of the Glasgow club players and officials and the referee. While the crowd was waiting several stones were thrown, and a boy was injured about the head. The visitors left in cabs, and all the way, as has been stated, rum Pittodrie two as far as Urquhart Road these were followed by yelling crowds of youths, who threw stones at the rear of the camps. Fortunately, none were thrown into the camps. Several of the cabs were damaged. One of the vehicles had a very rough journey to the station. This was the one conveying the Rangers' outfit. Showers of stones were directed at it, and the driver had frequently to call a halt. As soon as he made to move on another shower of stones would a light on his vehicle. Several policemen appeared on the scene, and after about 5 minutes had elapsed the cab was got away from the crowd, which by this time had begun to disperse. All the camps reached the station without any of the occupants receiving injury. At the corner of Nelson Street a boy had his head cut by a stone thrown by someone in the crowd. The lad was taking no part in the disturbance. At one time the shower of stones was so alarming that passers-by had to take shelter in doors and lobbies. By half an hour after the match the disturbance was at an end, and King Street had once more assumed its usual aspect.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th September 1911

Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Neilson.
Rangers Teamsheet
Lock; Campbell, Richmond; Gordon, Galt, Hendry; Hogg, Reid, Bennett, Smith
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. T. Murray, Stenhousemuir