Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 3 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Falkirk scorers: Logan, Logan, Robertson (Pen)

23/09/1911 | KO:

At Falkirk before a crowd numbering almost 8000. Falkirk early showed promise of giving Aberdeen a hard game, Robertson testing King with a hard shot. A minute later Aberdeen gained possession, and Stewart was called upon to save, That he did successfully. Falkirk were working hard for an opening, and this they soon got, Logan beating King, who came out to meet the scorer. It was a well deserved goal. McIntosh was injured, and had to retire. Aberdeen made several attempts to score, Soye and Lennie being prominent in the attack, but these proved abortive. At the interval Falkirk had the lead. Falkirk made a weak start upon resuming, and allowed Aberdeen a grand chance, Soye shooting in with some force. Stewart received the ball on the chest, and saved. The visitors then fell away, and their play was most disappointing. Falkirk repeatedly tested King, and in one of the attacks Robertson, taking up a pass from Laing, headed to Logan, who made no mistake. Flushed with this success, Falkirk returned, and Wardlaw narrowly missed adding another goal. This player, who was suffering from an injury received in the first half, had at length to retire, and both teams played with ten men. Up to the close Falkirk monopolised matters, and just on time Robertson netted a third point from a penalty. Result:- Falkirk, 3 goals; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th September 1911

In a Scottish League match at Brockville Park, Falkirk, on Saturday, Aberdeen were beaten by the home team by 3 goals to 0, after having much the worse of play. True the visitors were seriously handicapped by an injury to McIntosh which necessitated his retiral from the game in the first ten minutes, yet they never looked like a winning or even drawing side. For about five-sixths of the game Falkirk forced the play, and except for occasional bursts by the Aberdeen forwards, the home goal was but seldom threatened. In the first half especially the great capabilities of the Aberdeen defence were taxed to their last extremity. There were repeated occasions on which the downfall of the Aberdeen citadel seemed inevitable, yet the defence, if at times a trifle lucky, played with great stubbornness, and their brilliance alone accounted for Falkirk only having the barrow although deserving solitary goal lead at the interval. That goal was the outcome of the only mistake a sterling defence made, and had Logan, the scorer, been judiciously tackled by Hume or discreetly met by King the goal must never have been. The absence of McIntosh completely disorganised the Aberdeen side, and in the occasional dashes by the forwards he was a much missed player. Even although they were forced to defend for such spells, Aberdeen were not without their chances of scoring, and on three occasions the over-eagerness of Main lost certain goals for Aberdeen. Falkirk badly lacked the services of a good marksman, for the side were palpably weak at close quarters.
There were periods during the second half when Aberdeen made determined efforts to pierce the home defence, yet their movements were disjointed in the extreme, and the Falkirk backs were generally masters of the situation. Falkirk, on the other hand, were far from perfection. At times the past with some degree of accuracy, but it was their dash rather than their science which brought further goals. There was a falling off in the play of the Aberdeen halves in this period, and although the backs played soundly and the forwards determinedly, the side was palpably weakened by the deterioration of the play of the mid line.
The verdict of the game was that Aberdeen were well beaten and were the weaker of two weak teams.


Before 10,000 spectators Aberdeen had to face sun and breeze, and Lennie by clever work had Orrock in difficulties. At the other end King cleared from Croal, and then Maine headed into Stewart's hands. Falkirk then took the game in hand and even the Aberdeen forwards had to fall back and assist in the defence. It was while hooking a ball out of danger that McIntosh strained the ligaments of his right leg. He had to be assisted off, and was never be able to resume. With 10 men, Aberdeen had to continue on the defensive and some brilliant clearances were made. Colman and Wyllie, in particular, were prominent, and sure tackling and kicking of the first named, and a magnificent head-work of the latter, compelling admiration. Wardlaw, the home outside left, was injured, but resumed after a few minutes' absence. For a time a perfect hail of shots went King's way and the keeper effected several brilliant clearances, notably one at full length from Logan, while later went out of his charge he fielded a great drive by Laing, catching the ball with both arms outstretched above his head. The Aberdeen forwards never lost opportunities to make ground. Main dashed ahead himself, but after he had past the backs he miskicked. Later Soye had a beautiful run and cross, and again Main was at fault. Yet the third chance was lost by the Aberdeen centre forward. He received the ball from Lennie, and at the critical moment tripped and the chance was lost. And last Falkirk scored. Logon got off, Hume failed to tackle him properly, King foolishly ran out of his charge and the ball rolled over the goal-line into the net. There was no further scoring at the interval.

There was little to enthuse over in the second half's play. Aberdeen threatened aggression for a time, and Stewart saved from Soye's head, consequent on a corner. The visitors' right was repeatedly dangerous, and Hume was often beaten by the quickness of Laing. It was the result of a good combined movement initiated by the outside right that brought Falkirk's second goal. Robertson, receiving from Laing, gave to Logan outside the penalty area, and that player beat King with a lightning shot. For a period Falkirk looked to increase their lead, and only brilliant work by Colman kept them out. Stewart on one occasion ran out and punted clear when Main was nearly through. Play generally, however, was confined to the Aberdeen Territory. The halves it did not play so well as in the first period, and as a result of this the backs had no lack of work. Near the close the Wardlaw fell, and, injuring himself, had to be carried off. Aberdeen made a last rally, and Wilson lifted over the bar when well placed. In the last minute a penalty was credited against Millar, and when Robertson converted, Aberdeen's cup was full.

It is not expected that McIntosh will be fit to play for a month.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th September 1911

Falkirk Teamsheet
Stewart; Orrock, Leishman; McDonald, Anderson, McMillan; Laing, Croal, Robertson, Logan, Wardlaw
Aberdeen Teamsheet
King, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Millar, Soye, McIntosh, Main, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: Mr. J. B. Stark, Airdrie