Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 4 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: Langlands, Bellamy, Wyllie, Bellamy

13/01/1912 | KO:

Dens Park Debacle - Aberdeen Humiliated

Before 10,000 spectators at Dundee. In the first half play was hard and exciting. Aberdeen began in promising fashion, but, once Dundee settled down, the home men had the larger share of the play. Walker got a good opening for Dundee, but shot wide. Greig saved several shots but Lyall was idle. Langlands accepted a centre from Bellamy, and opened the scoring for Dundee, who led at the interval by one goal to nothing. Aberdeen asserted themselves in the early stages of the second half, but found few scoring chances, Dundee's defence being very sound. Lawson played a grand game at back. Dundee subsequently had easily the better of the exchanges. Bellamy beat Greig with a fine rising shot. Aberdeen's backs offered somewhat poor resistance to the rushes of the Dundee forwards. Wyllie put on a third goal for Dundee from a cross by Bellamy. Greig saved from Hamilton, and although Aberdeen's forwards did not relax their efforts they met with little success. A free kick for Dundee was cleverly placed by Neal and Bellamy easily scored. Dundee finished strongly. Aberdeen were well beaten, and the failure of their defence largely contributed to the heavy defeat. Result:- Dundee, four goals; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th January 1912

Having previously beat in Dundee on three occasions this season, Aberdeen's heavy fall came like a thunderbolt to supporters of the Pittodrie team. Truth to tell, they were deservedly beaten, yet half the score would better have represented the run of play. They played in promising style at the start, and although Greig was not without his troublesome moments, it looked as if the visitors would open the scoring; but all those several likely, if difficult, chances came their way, they failed badly. They were clever and finished in the outfield, but at close quarters were completely out of the picture. The actual turning point in the game came about 20 minutes after the start. A double mistake by Aitken and Ferguson allowed Walker through with only Lyall to beat. Instead of steadying himself, the Pittodrie inside right drove first time from the penalty line, and the ball whizzing past the outside of the upright, the chance was lost. Just previous to this the same player, from a great cross by Lennie, had a header which missed the goal by the bee rest margin. Aberdeen's deterioration dated from the first-mentioned incident; they fell badly out of the picture. Dundee frequently made inrushes on Greig's goal, and, with the defence none too sure, it was not surprising that the homesters should have opened the scoring. The point came in easy-like fashion. Bellamy, who had been repeatedly threatening danger, send over to the centre, and Langlands rushing in headed the ball over Greig's head. Shortly afterwards in clearing a shot Greig kicked the ball against Hamilton, and it rebounded against the post and was cleared. After the seascape Aberdeen improved slightly, but, although they applied pressure, they did not look like getting level, and were deservedly a goal down at the interval.

Few were prepared for the sensational turn the game took in the second half. At the start Aberdeen swarmed in Lyall's vicinity, but they were singularly ineffective at close quarters, with the result that the goalkeeper had an easy time. After 10 minutes Dundee paid their first visit of the period to Greig and scored. Bellamy getting the ball and good position gave Greig no chance, and Dundee were two up. This goal appeared to have a demoralizing effect on Aberdeen, and subsequently the side went to pieces. Time and again the half backs and backs were circumvented, and when Wyllie put Dundee three a head from a brilliant cross by Bellamy, Aberdeen were beaten to the world. A short time afterwards, and following upon good clearing by Greig, Dundee got a fourth goal. There was a free-kick near the penalty line, an brilliant manoeuvring so Bellamy crash the ball into the net. Dundee were easily the superior side after this, and Aberdeen's efforts to get through one of the spasmodic and half-hearted order. The later stages of the game were marred by foul tactics on the part of both sides, and the referee had occasion to warn several players. The home victory created great enthusiasm among the Dundee Club's supporters, who welcomed their team's return to form.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 15th January 1912

Dundee Teamsheet
Lyall; Lawson, Ferguson; Neal, Aitken, Comrie; Bellamy, McLachlan, Hamilton, Langlands, Wyllie
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Davidson, Wyllie, Wilson, Soye, Walker, McIntosh, Wood, Lennie.
Attendance: 10,500
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Mr. J. Lyons, Hamilton
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead