Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 3 Aberdeen A

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Aberdeen A

Fleming Charity Shield Final
Aberdeen scorers: McNicol.
Aberdeen A scorers: Knowles, Caie, Hamilton

17/05/1905 | KO:

Football attractions at the tail end of the season are generally of a third-rate order, but Pittodrie frequenters were provided with a tit-bit last night, when the principal team lined up in opposition to the second string in the final tie for the Fleming Charity Shield. The spectators were fairly large in numbers when Mr Arthur Watt whistled the teams out.
The A team were the first to invade, and their attitude certainly indicated that they meant to make a bold bid to wrest the trophy from the premiers. Knowles crossed beautifully to Smith on the extreme left, but the effort was too much for the winger, and the leather was sent behind. The first eleven were being confined to their own territory, and although they made occasional breaks the attack was repeatedly repulsed. McFarlane was kept continually on the alert, and only luck saved his citadel from downfall. For the first time Herd was called upon, and his weak return almost allowed the stripes to penetrate, but the venue was once more changed, and a lively scrimmage at McFarlane's end promised well for the A's. The keeper's lucky star was in the ascendency, however, and disaster was averted for the time being.
The Reds fought hard for a lead, and it came after a stiff bombardment, Knowles forcing the sphere into the net with a splendid screw shot. The premiers retaliated strongly, and Thomson made a fatal error when he handled the ball within the dreaded square. McNicol had little difficulty in securing the equalising point from the resultant penalty, but the game was not destined to progress far on a level footing. Caie got the leather close in, and sent a grounder to McFarlane, which skidded through below the custodian's hands. This further success had an enlivening effect upon the Stripes, who began to show better combination. Gradually they worked up towards the sea, causing the A's defence no end of trouble, and a fine slanting shot from Hilton on the wing just scraped past the uprights, while a few seconds later McNicol made a good attempt to head through. Towards the interval, the first team pressed hard, but their efforts were nullified by the splendid opposition offered by the A's defence, and the teams changed over with the half-time score standing: Aberdeen A, 2; Aberdeen, 1.

The opening stages of the second period were exceedingly tame, and it was not until Robertson, who had all along been showing great form, sent over a magnificent shot from the right, which ran along the goal line, that any enthusiasm was exhibited. The Stripes seemed to take up the running from this point, but Willox proved a tower of strength in defending the A's citadel, his prodigious punting saving the situation on many occasions when a fall was imminent. Herd was in magnificent form, and appeared to be always on the right spot, many of his saves bringing forth loud ovations. The Reds claimed their own share of the game, and a few minutes before time rather surprised the premiers by rushing the defence and notching a third point through Hamilton. This was the decisive point of the match, and when the whistle sounded Aberdeen A left the field victors: Aberdeen A, 3, Aberdeen, 1.

Presentation of the Shield

When the match terminated, a rush was made for the grandstand, where ex-Lord Provost Fleming, the donor of the trophy, was to present the shield to Thomson, captain of the winning team. Baillie Glass, president of the Charity Shield Committee, introduced Mr Fleming, who, in handing over the shield, said it was well that those who were able to enjoy the sport should remember those who were lying on beds of sickness. He regretted that the final match could not have been played on a Saturday, as it would have meant so much more for the charity. However, he was pleased to learn that through this competition a sum of about £50 would be handed over for charitable purposes. (Applause.)
On the call of Shoremaster Milne, a hearty vote of thanks was awarded to Mr Fleming for presenting the shield.
The drawings last night amounted to close upon £20.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 18th May 1905

A Banchory player - Mitchell - featured for the first XI at left back.
Aberdeen A Teamsheet
Herd; Willox, Thomson; L. Clark, Davidson, Robertson; Knowles, Cruickshank, Hamilton, Caie, Smith
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Arthur Watt, Aberdeen
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen