Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Raith Rovers 4 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Raith Rovers scorers: Scott, Porter, Porter, Porter up
Aberdeen scorers: Main.

18/10/1913 | KO:

At Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy, Raith Rovers registered their first home victory at the expense of Aberdeen, and on the run of the play they got no more than their due. The visitors were expected to put on a good fight, but they failed badly. Even when they got into shooting distance their forwards muddled matters or found Neish a stumbling-block. The Rovers obtained a two goal lead in the first half. Scott scoring in the first minute and Porter before the interval. The Rovers never lost their grip of the game, and Porter registered other two goals in the second half. Aberdeen got through in the last minute, McLeod being the marksman. Result:- Raith Rovers, four goals; Aberdeen, one goal.

Source: The Scotsman, 20th October 1913

Aberdeen were badly outplayed at Kirkcaldy on Saturday, where Raith Rovers defeated them in a Scottish League game by 4 goals to 2 (sic). It was the Rovers' first home victory for the season, as it was the first win they had ever scored over Aberdeen. That the winners deserved the spoils goes without saying, yet there were numerous happenings in the course of the game which had they been otherwise might quite easily have turned the scale in favour of Aberdeen. All the goals scored by the winners were saveable efforts, and bad goalkeeping accounted for the largeness of the score against Aberdeen, even although it does not wholly explain the defeat. The Rovers were by no means a brilliant side, but they got a goal when only half a minute of the game had gone, and from then they never looked back. Their forwards were quick and eager, and the half-backs played magnificently. The backs were not so steady, but the goalkeeper was brilliant. Aberdeen as of yore were badly balanced. It was hoped that a reshuffling of the forward line, with McLeod of the Reserves included at centre forward, would make for improvement. As it turned out expectations were not fulfilled. The line worked badly together. Soye and Travers got along well at times, and although McLeod shone in the opening stages, he lacked the dash necessary for success against a robust defence. The half-backs were very moderate. Hume at back for Aberdeen was one of the outstanding players on the field, and for once in a while completely overshadowed his partner Colman. Greig was badly off form. He might have saved the first goal, and all three others came after he had failed to hold the ball. On the other occasions he was very shaky, and several times in clearing he kicked the ball against opponents, and his charge had narrow escapes from the rebounds.

There was a sensational start to the game. The Rovers right broke away and Cranston crossed. The backs failed to clear and Scott, running in, beat Greig. Aberdeen were immediately at the other end, where a corner forced by main was cleared, Neish fisting away when a goal looked certain. Low followed with a fine drive, which Neish saved with difficulty. Fast end-to-end play ruled, and Scott just failed to catch a cross by Cranston. Porter beat Colman and shot, but Greig saved finely, as he did a fast shot from Scott. After Colman had slipped, Scott got away with a clear field, but Hume, racing across, averted disaster. McLeod made a good attempt to Pierce the home defence. He tricked two opponents nicely and then shot, but Neish saved. After this Aberdeen played up well, and after good work by Soye, travers, and Main, Wilson had a shot which hit the upright, while Soye had an effort luckily blocked by an opponent. The Rovers rallied again and Greig saved from Scott, while Logan was slightly wide with a long drive. Several corners fell to the home side, and the Aberdeen goal had numerous narrow escapes, Colman, Wyllie, and Hume in turn charging down shots. Aberdeen again got going and travers had a shot which hit the upright, while on another occasion a ball from Soye crossed an open goal. Before the interval grandstand sent in a hard shot to Greig from the wing. The keeper stopped the shot, but dropped the ball, and before he could recover Porter had sent the ball into the net. The Aberdeen defence was sorely tried after this, and Porter just failed to increase their Rovers' lead.


Aberdeen started off well, but the defence was early in difficulties, while the forwards failed to press home the attack. The Rovers should have increased their lead when three players missed the ball in front of the goal. Greig ran out to clear, and, in doing so, kicked the ball against an opponent, the rebound just missing the goal. After a quarter of an hour's play, Rattray shot And the ball striking Greig on the chest, rebounded to Porter, who promptly netted. For a time the Aberdeen side was well outplayed, but travers, Maine, and Soye brought them into prominence on occasion without being really dangerous. Hume and Low alone of the Aberdeen defence stood up well to the Rovers' persistent attack, but there was little surprise when a fourth goal fell to the winners. Scott headed in, and Greig partially cleared and placed to Porter, who secured the "hat trick." Up Aberdeen were little in the eye, and Porter almost scored again after the defence was beaten. Hume was hot, but, although thus handicapped, he continued to play well. Just on time and following upon some really clever play by Travers, McLeod and Main, the latter score for Aberdeen.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 20th October 1913

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Neish; Winning, Morrison; McLay, Logan, Anderson; Cranston, Rattray, Porter, Waugh, Scott
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Low, Soye, Travers, McLeod, Main, Wood.
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy
Referee: Mr. T. Robertson, Glasgow up
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead