Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Ayr United

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Ayr United

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McLeod, Wyllie.
Ayr United scorers: Phillips, Phillips

25/10/1913 | KO:

Influence on Aberdeen's Failure - Where Ayr Excelled

At Aberdeen, before 6000 spectators. Play throughout was of a poor standard, and although Aberdeen were the more aggressive side, Ayr fully deserved a division of the points. The visitors were much smarter in their methods than the home side, whose chief weakness lay in their wretched finishing. Ayr opened the scoring through Phillips after five minutes, and McLeod equalised after thirty-five minutes had gone, while Wyllie put Aberdeen ahead just on the interval. In the second half, Aberdeen had the greater share of the play, but the same forward weakness was in evidence. Phillips equalised for Ayr, and subsequently both goals had narrow escapes. The best men for Ayr were McStay, Bannister, Middleton, Phillips and Gray; and for Aberdeen, Colman, Wyllie, McLeod, and Travers. Result:- 2 goals each..

Source: The Scotsman, 27th October 1913

There were 6000 disappointed spectators at Pittodrie on Saturday, when Aberdeen had to be content with a division of the points with Ayr United in a game which ended in a draw of two goals each. Aberdeen had the better of the exchange's throughout, but about their play there was a lamentable lack of precision and quickness which characterised the play of the visitors. The result was all the more creditable to Ayr considering that the outfit having gone astray in transit the players had to don new boots, which was a serious handicap. Taken all over, they were a trifle fortunate to escape the feat, but if only for the plucky way in which they stuck to their game the deserved to be equal at the finish. At times Aberdeen wandered the opposition in the outfield, but they failed to produce the same effectiveness near goal, even a loving that on more than one occasion their efforts were worthy of better results. Ayr's success can be attributed to the effectiveness of their spasmodic raids. On the run they were always dangerous, the two extreme winners and centre forward working an individual and collective game which the Aberdeen line did not appear capable of imitating. The whole team showed a nippiness which was refreshing to watch, and if the Aberdeen attack had shown a tithe of the smartness which was so successful for Ayr, it must have won the game comfortably. As it was, it was a case of a point thrown away. The home crowd was greatly disappointed with the play of the team, and openly showed its displeasure by barracking certain of the players and ironically uploading the efforts of the visitors.


Aberdeen started off as if they were to carry all before them. In the opening minutes Low had a great shot which hit the upright, and then after a corner Wilson sent over. Almost immediately the visitors' right broke away. Middleton beat Low and Hume, and crossed to Phillips, who beat Greig with ahead effort. After this Aberdeen attacked the term and lee. Travers just failed to improve upon a cross by Green, and McLeod had two good shots, one of which woods tipped over the bar for a corner. On another occasion travers was dribbling through when he appeared to be tipped in the penalty area, but the referee ignored the claim for a penalty. A smart piece of play by Main and McLeod allowed the latter to equalise with a great effort. Woods stopped the ball, but there was such force behind it that he failed to keep it from the net. Incursions by Gray, Phillips, and Middleton gave the Aberdeen defence considerable trouble, but Aberdeen were the aggressors for the most part. McLeod and Travers both had creditable efforts at scoring, but the forwards showed a tendency to get bunched up and to hesitate when near goal. Just on the interval Aberdeen got a corner. The ball was well placed by Soye, and Wyllie, brushing aside the opposition, headed through the leading goal.


Within 5 minutes of the resumption Ayr were on level terms. Gray broke away and crossed in front of goal. Greig got the ball but palmed it to Phillips' feet, and that player promptly netted. Aberdeen were demoralised for a time following this reverse, but they gradually pull themselves together. Green twice sent in shots which nearly took effect and he sent the ball from the wing across an open goal, and Travers had two efforts, which just missed. Hard as Aberdeen attacked, the Ayr defence held out, the play of McStay being especially strong. Repeated failures after being in scoring position, coupled with the sarcasm of the crowd, appeared to pall on the home players. Near the end, Ayr came away strongly, and it was only some brilliant defensive play by Colman and Wyllie that prevented the winning goal from being registered. A disappointing game ended - Aberdeen, 2 move goals; Ayr united, 2.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 27th October 1913

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Colman, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Low, Soye, Travers, McLeod, Main, Green.
Ayr United Teamsheet
Woods; Gray, McStay; McDougall, Bannister, McLaughlan, Middleton, Robertson, Phillips, McDougall, A. Gray
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. W. Caldwell, Hamilton
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh