Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Queens Park

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Queens Park

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Wyllie, McLeod.

22/11/1913 | KO: 14:30

A Belated Victory - Aberdeen Count at Last

Before 7000 spectators, at Aberdeen. Aberdeen were much the more aggressive side in the first half, but their finishing was weak. The Queen's Park played pluckily, especially in defence, where H. Mackenzie was the outstanding player. All the scoring took place in the second half. In two minutes from the restart, R. M. Morton scored a grand goal for Queen's, who for a time shaped like increasing their lead. With half an hour to go, Wyllie was played at centre-forwards for Aberdeen, and almost immediately he equalised. Aberdeen continued to have the better of matters, and eight minutes from time McLeod put on the winning goal from a corner kick. Aberdeen applied a severe pressure near the close, and were deserving winners. Best for Aberdeen were Wyllie, Low, McLeod, and Travers, and for Queen's Park, Kerr, Todd, McKenzie, and Morton. Result:- Aberdeen, 2 goals; Queen's Park, 1.

Source: The Scotsman, 24th November 1913

The hunt the inspiration on the part of the Pittodrie captain, which led him to change the formation of his side half-an-hour from time, when his team was in imminent danger of defeat, enabled Aberdeen to triumph over Queen's Park at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 1, and to record their second League victory of the season. Some 7000 spectators witnessed a game which was always interesting, and the specially so in the closing stages, and Aberdeen appeared to come into their own after weeks of failure. In the first half the attempts of the Aberdeen forwards to score were well-nigh heartbreaking to the spectators. The players strove for all they were worth. The overran the Amateurs' defence and shot well on occasion, but when the real chances came along there was always some circumstance which kept the forwards from getting in the vital kick. Their efforts, although they met with few tile result, were rewarded by encouragement from the spectators at first, but repeated failure palled on their patience, which became exhausted. It was an old story, for how often have the Pittodrie crowd witnessed the same tragedy of their own side cutting out the work while the spoils went to the opposition? The plaudits became alienated from sincerity, and sarcasm held sway, while the visitors received a major support. Small wonder that as time went on the fire went out to the home team, and the waned for lack of the very encouragement that was extended to the opposition.


When Queen's Park got down 2 minutes after the commencement of the second half and RM Morton score the magnificent goal from 20 yards' range, Aberdeen's star appeared to have set. The success spurred the famous Amateurs' to greater efforts, and but for the solidity of the Aberdeen defence in that critical period, they must have put the issue beyond doubt.


With each passing minute clinching the certainty of defeat, Wyllie, the Aberdeen captain, affected the timely stroke that turned the tide. With an enterprise and foresight of which the Pittodrie directors cannot be credited, he changed the formation of his team. Desperate situations call for desperate remedies, Wyllie himself went centre forward, while Wilson went centre half, Travers going right half-back, and McLeod joining Scorgie on the right wing. In 2 minutes Wyllie's action was justified, and it was a personal triumph that he himself should have obtained the equalising goal, which was the result of thrustful if not brilliant tactics. 7000 spectators, whose despondency had increased with the certainty of defeat, suddenly rouse themselves to the fact that victory might still be for their team. Queen's Park were a side of diehards, and just when Aberdeen appeared to be taking the game in hand the Amateurs rallied. Aberdeen missed Wyllie from the defence, and it looked as if Queen's Park would again get through. For a few minutes there was a terrific struggle, and then Aberdeen, finely led by Wyllie, came to themselves.


Like an avalanche they burst upon the Queen's Park defence. It toiled and sweated, which surely no defence could have sustained unbeaten such an attack. Aberdeen stormed the citadel from every quarter, and finally, with 8 minutes to go, a corner came their way, and benefiting by the change by Wyllie, who put the defence on their guard, McLeod gave Aberdeen the leading and winning goal. Like a pack of wolves let loose and hungering for blood, Aberdeen burst upon the Queen's Park in search of goals. Crowded into that last 8 minutes was a series of thrilling incidents in front of Queen's Park goal as have not been seen for months. As if to atone for weeks of disappointment and failure, Aberdeen let go all their pent-up energy. Prodigies of valour were performed by the Queen's Park defence, and it was a tribute to them, and the specially to their goalkeeper, that the result saw them so narrowly beaten on paper.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 24th November 1913

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Greig, Hannah, Hume, Wilson, Wyllie, Low, Scorgie, Travers, McLeod, Walker, Green.
Queens Park Teamsheet
J. Kerr; A. Todd, R. M. Young; J. Roberts, H. McKenzie, T. Pusell; A. McRae, E. Garvie, R. M. Morton, C. S. Buchan, T. E. Forsyth
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr J. Winter, Dundee
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen