Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Walker.
Kilmarnock scorers: Neil, Neil

06/12/1913 | KO:

Kilmarnock's Plucky Show

Before 6000 spectators, at Aberdeen. Play throughout was interesting, if at times erratic on account of the hard state of the ground. In the first half, Aberdeen scored through Walker, after the visiting goalkeeper blundered. The Kilmarnock men, however, who had been playing a go-ahead game, secured the equaliser through Neil, the Aberdeen goalkeeper making no attempt to save. In the second half Kilmarnock played strongly, and the home goalkeeper had some difficult shots to save. Ultimately Kilmarnock took the lead, through Neil, and until the end the visitors maintained their advantage, and won in clever style. Best for Kilmarnock were Mitchell, Waddell, Neil, and Cunningham. Aberdeen displayed poor form, and their most prominent men were Colman, Hannah, Wilson, and McLeod. Result:- Kilmarnock, 2 goals; Aberdeen, 1.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th December 1913

Aberdeen sustained their 11th Scottish League defeat of the season on Saturday, when Kilmarnock gained the verdict at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 1. The game was played on a frost-bound pitch, the hard and slithery nature of which it acted from the quality of the play, as it accounted for many ludicrous incidents in which the players figured. There were some 7000 spectators, and these so victory go to the more deserving side, as Kilmarnock adapted themselves much the better to the conditions, and throughout the show did themselves the superior balanced combination, which, in spite of the conditions, played a really clever game at times. Aberdeen, on the other hand, were smart enough in the outfield, but the old weakness in front of goal was always in evidence, and they were deservedly beaten. The feature of the game was then that the play of the Kilmarnock forwards, who were always eager and ready to shoot, and with them the Aberdeen attack compared badly.


Aberdeen started off in promising style, but the flattered only to deceive. Soye, McLeod, and Robertson were prominent in some clever combined work, and McLeod on two occasions in the opening stages came near to scoring, and Walker, after tricking two opponents, sent narrowly behind. First Goodwin then Cunningham put in some good work for Kilmarnock, and it was a lovely effort on Cunningham's part which resulted in Greig effecting a clever save, while he also did well to hold a snap shot from Culley. For a time Aberdeen kept up a strong pressure. Roberts and sent over a good square, and Soye kept footing the ball well into the centre, but the Kilmarnock defence held out. McLeod had one good try, but just missed, and Wilson also had a creditable try. After Greig had saved from Neil and Cunningham, Aberdeen took the lead in sensational style. Grant left his goal to field a high return by Colman, but misjudged the flight of the ball, and walker put into an empty goal. Kilmarnock were prominent after this, and Neil the equalized with a header, the Aberdeen goalkeeper, under the impression that the scorer was offside, making no attempt to save. Aberdeen pressed for the later period of the half, but had to be content with an equal division of goals at the interval.


After an initial burst in the second half, Aberdeen fell away considerably. A mistake by Hannah allowed Culley through, but the centre, hampered by Colman, failed to improve upon the chance. Greig did well to clear a good try from Culley later, and Neil also shot well. Aberdeen were a spasmodic lot, but Walker and McLeod both had good tries, which Grant cleared. With 20 minutes to go Kilmarnock took the lead. Culley worked well down between the backs, and Neil, taking advantage of a momentary hesitation on their part, rushed in and crash the ball past Greig. After this reverse, Aberdeen placed Wyllie at centre forward, Walker going centre half. The change was not productive of any better results, however. Kilmarnock continued to monopolise the play, but once Wyllie almost rushed through the equaliser. Aberdeen could not break down the solid defence of the visitors, who, in the end, gained a merited victory. Aberdeen were best represented by Colman, Hannah, Wilson, and McLeod, and Kilmarnock by Mitchell, Waddell, Neil, and Cunningham.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 8th December 1913

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Grant; Murray, Mitchell; Fulton, Waddell, Mackie; Goodwin, Neil, Culley, Cunningham, Clark
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. M. Dickson, Glasgow
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen