Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Fourth Round
Dundee scorers: Konrad 4, Clarkson 90.
Aberdeen scorers: Konrad (OG) 17.

29/11/2014 | KO: 12:15

Dismay For Dominant Dons as Dundee Net Late

Aberdeen crashed out of the Scottish Cup early this afternoon at Dens despite a good performance as ex keeper Scott Bain came back to haunt his former team.

In front of a 3000 plus Aberdeen support and with a very attacking formation, the Dons started the game strongly and McGinn was only inches away from giving them the lead in the first minute. However on 4 minutes Harkins whipped in a free kick which was headed home from close range by an unmarked Konrad and Paul Hartley's side were ahead.

Aberdeen played some good football in an entertaining first half and deservedly equalised on 17 minutes when McGinn cut in from the left and his low cross was deflected in by Konrad. They could then have gone ahead but Bain produced an excellent stop from a Rooney header.

The second half was a much cagier affair but the Dons dominated possession and still created a couple of clear chances - McGinn headed straight at Bain, Rooney fired into the side netting after fine play by Hayes, Goodwillie also hit the side netting and Hayes forced Bain into a very good save from a free kick.

In the 91st minute, with the tie heading to a replay, a long ball was collected by Clarkson and he was able to nip in and beat Brown to score a late winner. In the final seconds there was a dramatic finish as Aberdeen pushed bodies forward, the ball fell for Niall McGinn who cracked in an effort which incredibly hit the bar, rebounded down and hit the bar again. Scott Bain had managed to get a touch which did just enough to force the initial shot onto the bar - a fantastic save.

Heartache for the Dons to take who deserved a replay at the very least.

Match Report

Derek McInnes made one change to the side that beat Thistle last week with Logan coming back into the team after suspension for Cammy Smith who dropped to the bench. The Dons lined up in a 4-4-2 formation to start with but changed during the first half into a 4-5-1 with a back four of Logan, Taylor, Reynolds and Considine. Hayes and Pawlett played in the centre of the park with Jack holding. Rooney moved over to a wide right position when the team were defending and McGinn was on the left with Goodwillie up top.

In front of a superb Aberdeen support, there was more Dons fans than Dundee ones, the game burst into life straight away and in the first minute the visitors had a great opportunity to score. The ball fell to Rooney and although he dragged his shot wide McGinn was only inches away from getting a touch with the goal gapping. A minute later Pawlett then set up Goodwillie but his shot was blocked. Aberdeen did force a corner but Bain came out and claimed it well.

On 4 minutes Mark Reynolds gave away a free kick about 35 yards out. Harkins whipped in a great ball and although both McPake and Konrad went up, it was Thomas Konrad who powered a header past Brown from close range. Brown got something on it but could not keep it out and the home side were ahead. Poor defending from the Dons.

On 8 minutes Ash Taylor did very well to head clear after a good Dundee break and Jack managed to get the better of Greg Stewart at the back post. Aberdeen then won another corner which was played short to McGinn but his low effort went just wide with Bain not looking too concerned. On 13 minutes Hayes was penalised for a foul in a very similar area to the free kick for the goal. Again Harkins whipped in a superb ball which Reynolds just managed to clear virtually off his own goal-line. Back came the Dons, who were showing some inventive stuff going forward and Goodwillie found Rooney with a neat back heel. Although the striker was in a good position his shot was straight at Bain.
On 17 minutes the Dons were deservedly level.

Dundee appealed for a foul in the middle of the park when Reynolds tackled Clarkson, referee McLean waved play on and Hayes ran into a huge area of space before playing in McGinn. The striker coming off the left wing had a clear run at goal. He put in a low cross from very close range which deflected off Konrad into the net.

With 25 minutes gone the game was still extremely open with both teams looking very dangerous going forward. Encouragingly Rooney and Goodwillie were linking up well and the Dons continued to look very dangerous going forward. Just before the half hour mark Taylor played a wonderful long diagonal which picked out Hayes over on the left flank. His early cross was met by Goodwillie but at full strength the striker could not get enough power or direction on the ball.

On 32 minutes the home side appealed for a penalty when Boyle went down in the box but correctly nothing was given. The Dons were lucky though in the fact they had twice failed to clear their lines properly. On 35 minutes they were even luckier when Boyle's poor low cross found Logan but the right back completely missed the ball allowing Stewart a clear shot at goal. Shay was extremely relieved to see the Dundee strike blaze over.

On 37 minutes the Dons broke at pace again. Pawlett's ball was just behind Hayes so he could not take it in his stride, however he was able to deliver a chipped cross and Goodwillie put it back across the face of goal and found Rooney, his header though was brilliantly saved by Bain diving to his left. Then Dundee broke and with Shay off the field changing his boots Dundee had a man extra. The ball was worked to Boyle and his low cross/shot almost found Clarkson but Taylor made a brilliant tackle. Superb defending from the big Englishman. Then another chance of the Dons when Rooney's cross was flicked on by Goodwillie to McGinn who was coming in at the back of the area but his first time shot failed to find the target.

A very enjoyable and entertaining first half.

HT 1-1

Aberdeen had a good spell at the start of the second half and forced an early corner however they wasted it by taking a short one. On 50 minutes Rooney and Goodwillie combined well again but Bain was alert to the danger and got off his line quickly.

The game then went through a bit of a quiet spell, the first of the game. Dundee appeared to have closed the gap between the defence and midfield and the Dons runners were not get as much space on the ball.

On the hour mark Jack's shot was saved by Bain but he could not stop it going behind for corner. Hayes floated the ball to back post, Taylor headed it back across the face of goal and picked out McGinn who planted a strong header on target but it was straight at Bain. A real chance. Then a couple of minutes later McGinn got beyond the final defender, he pulled the ball back to Logan but his left footed effort was never going to trouble Bain.

After some strong challenges from both teams, on 67 minutes Greg Stuart become the first player to get a yellow card.

On 68 minutes Harkins played over another good free kick but this time Brown did well to come off his line and punch clear. On 69 minutes Harkins was replaced by Simon Ferry. The Dons would not have been disappointed to see the back of Harkins who had another fine game. On 70 minutes Considine's long throw was flicked on by Reynolds and Bain was fortunate to see the ball fall into his arms at the second attempt. Dundee then made a second change, Paul McGinn was replaced by William Dyer. On 71 minutes the game came to life again when Hayes produced a great run down the right. He beat a couple of men before getting to the by-line and laying the ball on a plate for Rooney but his shot hit the side netting. A great move from the Dons that deserved a goal. Then a minute later from a tight angle Goodwillie also found the side netting. Then Jack picked out Considine but his header went wide.

On 80 minutes Thomson was booked for a foul on McGinn. On 83 minutes the first change by the Dons, Cammy Smith for Pawlett and then a minute later Dundee's last change, Tankulic on for Boyle.

In the closing stages the Dons looked the more likely team to prevent a replay. With 5 minutes to go Smith won free kick in a good area. Hayes took it and got his effort on target save but Bain made a great save diving to his left. Then from the resulting corner Goodwillie's flick just went over the bar.

The Dons were made to pay for not taking their chances in the 91st minute when a long ball by McPake was collected by Clarkson who nipped in to score.

In the final seconds there was a dramatic finish as Aberdeen pushed bodies forward, the ball fell for Niall McGinn who cracked in an effort which incredibly hit the bar, rebounded down and hit the bar again. Scott Bain had managed to get a touch with did just enough to force the initial shot onto the bar - a fantastic save.

The final whistle went seconds later and the Dons players could not quite believe they were out of the cup after controlling so much of this game.
Dundee Teamsheet
12 Scott Bain, 19 Paul McGinn (03 Willie Dyer 73), 04 Thomas Konrad, 05 James McPake, 02 Gary Irvine, 10 Kevin Thomson, 20 Jim McAlister, 23 Martin Boyle (21 Tankulic 85), 29 Gary Harkins (11 Ferry 71) 15 Greg Stewart, 16 David Clarkson. Unused Subs: 08 Kevin McBride, 14 Philip Roberts, 24 Andrew Black, 25 Arvid Schenk.

Bookings:  16 David Clarkson (67),   20 Jim McAlister (81).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, Logan, Taylor, Reynolds, Considine, Hayes, Jack, Pawlett (Smith 84), McGinn, Rooney, Goodwillie.

Unused Subs: Murray, McKenna, Shankland, Gibbons, Monakana, Langfield.

Bookings:  Jack (90).
Attendance: 5,956
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: Steven McLean