Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hamilton 0 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hamilton 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Considine 6, Jack 8, McGinn 88.

15/02/2015 | KO: 15:30

Plastic Fantastic Despite Disallowed Goals

Match summary

Aberdeen this afternoon made it 12 games unbeaten, their best run in 22 years. Two early goals set up a commanding Aberdeen victory, earning a measure of revenge for the early season reverse at New Douglas Park. Since that night, the Dons have lost just once in 15 SPFL games.

Andrew Considine, who had an excellent game, tapped home in the sixth minute and then two minutes later Ryan Jack scored from a McGinn cross. The Dons third goal came late on when Considine's through ball set man of the match McGinn free and he slotted home.

That does not tell the whole story of the game, not by a long way.

The victory should have been far greater but the Dons were denied a clear goal when Adam Rooney's shot rebounded off the crossbar and over the line. Unfortunately Willie Collum and the linesman failed to spot the fact the ball had gone in. In the second half Adam was refused what looked a certain penalty, David Goodwillie had a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside and Andrew Considine also had a goal disallowed. Hamilton were reduced to ten men on the hour mark when Jesus Garcia Tena was sent off after picking up a second booking.

This was another very impressive performance from the Dons on the road.
Match Report

There was a lively start from both sides and the first chance came Hayes' way in the second minute. From a throw-in, he picked the ball up in a good area but dragged his shot wide. In the fourth minute, a neat passing move at the edge of the area involving Crawford almost created an opening for the home side.

Then on six minutes, Aberdeen took the lead. The ball was well worked down the right and a cross from McGinn was headed goalwards by Rooney. The ball hit the chest of full-back Gordon and headed towards the net. McGovern managed to dive and claw it off the line but Considine was following up and hammered home.

Two minutes later the Dons were in dreamland as they went two up from a very simple goal. McGinn this time picked the ball up down the left and his low, early cross found the run of Jack whose first time effort hit the bar and bounced down into the net. There was real quality from McGinn with the timing of his pass.

In the 12th minute, it should have been three. Hayes played the ball back to Considine and his deep cross from the left found Logan coming in at the back post. Shay got a header in but it was just the wrong side of the post. It was all very easy for the Dons at this stage but finally, the home side had a good little spell.

On 23 minutes, Stephen Hendrie did well down the left and put over a really good ball right across the face of goal. Brown could not come for it, Jason Scotland just missed it and Jack turned it behind for a corner. From the corner, Jesus Tena knocked it towards goal but Reynolds cleared it off the line. The ball fell to Hendrie and from 30 yards he cracked in a great shot which was tipped over by Brown. A couple of minutes later, Hendrie had another chance when Crawford knocked the ball back to him but he pulled his shot wide.

Just after the half hour mark there was a major let off for the Dons. On the break, Hendrie played Crawford down the line with a great ball. He had the pace to get away from Jack and had time to look up and play an early ball into the unmarked Scotland. The striker was one on one with Brown but the keeper did brilliantly to get out, spread himself and make the block with his legs. The ball still rolled towards the net but Reynolds had time to clear. Scotland then put through Darian Mackinnon but he elected to shoot instead of crossing for a team mate.

There was real controversy in the final few minutes of the half. On 42 minutes, Hayes used his pace to burst forward. He left the last defender for dead before playing a ball across the face of goal for Rooney. The striker was unable to get a touch but McGinn knocked it back into his path. It looked like Niall's ball was underhit but Adam got to the ball ahead of Canning and like Jack's effort, the ball bounced up off the surface and onto the bar and then down. The ball clearly looked over the line before it bounced up and hit the bar again before it was cleared. TV replays show that the ball was two feet over.

Even without the benefit of TV it looked over the line and Adam Rooney's reaction and disbelief that the goal was not awarded would have told the officials very quickly that they had made a major error. The body language of the keeper was also a clue. Whilst Willie Collum and the officials did not have the benefit of technology, the near side linesman did have the advantage of seeing the plastic pellets which are used on the artificial surface clearly being disturbed when the ball made an imprint behind the line.

HT 0-2

Still feeling a major sense of injustice, Aberdeen burst out of the traps in the second half and forced an early corner which gave Considine a chance. Accies then won a corner which gave Scotland a decent opening, but the striker put his shot well wide.

On 52 minutes Tena was booked for a foul on Hayes to give Aberdeen a free kick in a good area but McGovern claimed it. Hayes' low shot was then saved before Hendrie played another very good ball across the face of goal at the other end, but again the chance was wasted.

Considine then set Hayes free down the left. He managed to keep the ball in play before driving a ball over to Jack. He played it into McLean and eventually the ball was forced towards goal by Pawlett and latched onto by Rooney who drew a fine save from McGovern from point blank range. The ball once again bounced up in the air and as Rooney battled for the ball, referee Collum penalised him for backing in, despite the fact Tena wrestled Rooney to the ground. It looked a penalty.

On the hour mark Tena's luck ran out when he tripped McGinn who was in full flight. He was shown a second yellow and then a red card. From the resulting free-kick, McLean beat the wall but McGovern produced a diving stop. A minute later, McLean had another effort which just rolled past the post with McGovern scrambling to get across his goal.

Andrew Considine, who was missed a good chance moments before, found the net in the 65th minute when Jack's cross picked him out, but Collum penalised him for his challenge on Gordon. Adam Rooney was still desperate to get a goal, and with 20 minutes to go, he nodded a McGinn cross towards goal but McGovern was well positioned. On 74 minute, Considine forced McGovern into another save as he tipped a header over. Not for the first time this season, the Hamilton 'keeper impressed.

On 73 minutes there was a real moment of concern for the Dons when Jonny Hayes pulled up. He appeared to be feeling his hamstring and was immediately replaced by Willo Flood. Five minutes later, Aberdeen scored yet another goal which was disallowed. McGinn's low cross was flicked on by Considine. McGovern looked to be struggling to get the ball as it went across him and substitute David Goodwillie was on the line and knocked it in. Referee Collum decided he was offside, even although there was a defender on the line.

This drew chants of '6-0 to the Aberdeen' from the Red Army. Even some of the Hamilton fans in the Main Stand appreciated the humour.

Aberdeen initially struggled to take charge against the ten men, but then completed dominated the final ten minutes and with three minutes remaining they finally got the third goal their dominance deserved. Considine, who was certainly a strong contender for man of the match, played a great through ball to McGinn who was completely unmarked. The striker, who was named man of the match by the TV people, steadied himself before slotting past McGovern. In the final minute, Canning headed a Logan drive off the line.

The poor performance from the officials should not overshadow what was a very good Aberdeen performance. Very few teams will come to New Douglas Park this season and have such a comfortable afternoon.
Hamilton Teamsheet
01.Michael McGovern, 02.Zygmunt Gordon, 03.Stephen Hendrie, 05.Martin Canning, 24.Jesus Garcia Tena, 06.Grant Gillespie (45.Nicolas Sumsky 84), 08.Jonathon Routledge, 11.Alister Crawford (16.Craig Watson 64), 18.Darian MacKinnon, 28.Daniel Redmond, 09.Jason Scotland (20.Eamonn Brophy 77). Unused Subs: 12.Darren Lyon, 15.Kieran MacDonald, 17.Louis Longridge, 29.Darren Hill.

Bookings:  24.Jesus Garcia Tena (52),     24.Jesus Garcia Tena (60).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Brown, Logan, Considine, Reynolds, Daniels, McLean, McGinn, Hayes (Flood 75), Pawlett (Goodwillie 78), Jack, Rooney (Robson 79).

Unused Subs: Langfield, Smith, Shaughnessy, Shankland.
Attendance: 3,095
Venue: New Douglas Park, Hamilton
Referee: Willie Collum