Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Inverness CT

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Inverness CT

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Taylor 46.

08/04/2015 | KO: 19:45

The Dons Are The Masters in a Taylor Made Win

Match Summary

Aberdeen this evening took a massive step towards securing second spot in the SPFL Premiership for the first time in 21 years after a 1-0 win over Inverness CT. It was a deserved win for the Dons who were the better team for most of the 90 minutes after putting in a really good solid performance. In a fairly poor first half the Dons went close when Rooney chipped Esson but Meekings managed to get back and clear. Aberdeen have scored a good number of goals this season at the start of the second half and they did it again tonight. Barry Robson, who was outstanding this evening, put over a great corner and Ashton Taylor scored with a header after a well-timed run. After that the game opened up and was a far better spectacle. The Dons had a number of good chances to get a second, Logan was unlucky when he hammered the ball off the woodwork, but in the end they only needed the one goal. In the last twenty one games the Dons have only lost two and drawn four, winning a very impressive 15. They will be hoping to keep that consistency going over the final seven games of the campaign.

Match Report

Derek McInnes made four changes to the side that drew with Partick Thistle on Saturday. Scott Brown returned in goal, Barry Robson came in for the injured Ryan Jack, Peter Pawlett swapped with Kenny McLean and Niall McGinn replaced Lawrence Shankland. The Dons lined up with Brown in goal, Considine at left back, Taylor and Reynolds in central defence and Logan at right back. Robson and Flood sat in the middle of the park with Hayes initially on the right, McGinn on the left and Pawlett playing in behind Rooney.

The first shot came after three minutes when Shay Logan ran into space and he put in a good effort which just went over Esson's bar. Graeme Shinnie was also pushing forward from the left back spot and the visitors put some nice moves together down that side. Aberdeen early on had put Jonny Hayes on the right side of midfield to try and peg Shinnie back.

In the opening exchanges there were a number physical challenges flying about and also Inverness had settled better. On nine minutes there was a good old stramash in the Highlanders penalty box. Pawlett turned well and his low cross was cleared but rebounded off Rooney who headed it back into the danger zone. In the end the ICT defence just managed to scramble the ball behind for the first corner of the night. Then a minute later a great effort from McGinn who worked his way forward and with his left foot chipped the ball just wide of the post. Esson was desperately trying to get to it and if the shot was on target he would not have got there. Then after more good play a Logan cross landed at the feet of Robson but his volley went over the bar. On 22 minutes a long ball forward into the box was scrambled clear by Esson, Pawlett nearly got on to the loose ball but Inverness CT just managed to pick up and clear.

Then on 27 minutes the best chance of the half. A loose back pass was picked up very quickly by the ever alert Adam Rooney who tried to lob it over Esson. He succeeded and the ball was heading into the net but Josh Meekings managed to get back just in time to clear. The defender did well. A few minutes later Inverness won their first corner of the game. Caley Thistle were comfortable in possession but not really hurting the Dons at this stage.

With half an hour gone the game had become a bit scrappy and both teams were guilty of giving away cheap possession. On 35 minutes clever play by Logan won the Dons a free kick in a good area wide on the right, McGinn's ball in though was punched clear by Esson. On 37 minutes Barry Robson played Considine in down the left. Andy put over a great cross but both Rooney and Hayes missed the ball. Robson then cut onto his right when he was given far too much space but his shot was pulled just wide. Robson was very impressive in the first half, he was driving forward at every opportunity and making sure the players round about him did the same. On 39 minutes McGinn did well down the right wing but his cross took a bobble and the ball went out for a goal kick.

On 40 minutes a brilliant challenge by Robson averted any danger after a decent run towards the Dons box by the dangerous Shinnie. Just before half time Robson was booked for a foul on Danny Williams. It was a good foul to make as the visitors had a promising break after clearing an Aberdeen corner.


The Dons golden period this season has been right at the start of the second half - and once again they were to score within two minutes of the restart. They won themselves a corner which Robson swung in and the unmarked Taylor saw his header bounce down and into the top corner of the net. The goal owed much to the quality of the delivery from Robson.

The goal did wonders for the game as a spectacle as it became far more open. On 55 minutes McGinn made a good run towards the back and tried to curl a shot in to the far corner but Niall sent his effort wide. On 70 minutes the first change of the night from the manager. Kenny McLean came on for Pawlett.

Two minutes later Rooney did well to make room for a shot from the right hand side of the area and his powerful effort was well dealt with by Esson. Then a minute later the Dons really should have been two ahead when they had three chances in the space of 10 seconds. McLean played a low ball across the six yard box, it was not clear if Rooney or the defender got a touch but what was clear was that Esson made a brilliant save from point blank range. The ball fell to Logan who saw his initial shot blocked. The ball looped up and Logan had another go, this time smashing a shot which hammered off the woodwork and away to safety. The goal frame shook for quite a while. Caley Thistle then went straight up the field and a Watkins shot from distance shaved the top of the cross bar. A let off for the Dons.

On 76 minutes Esson was again in the middle of the action when he spilled a Robson corner kick but Inverness manage to avert the impending danger. Then two minutes later Rooney headed the ball into the net from a Robson free kick but the goal was ruled out for offside. Another great delivery from Robson. A few minutes after that a quick burst forward saw McLean pick the ball up in good area, he played it across the six yard box and Hayes picked it up at the back post. He was at too tight an angle so tried to play it back into the path of McGinn but the pass just fell short of Niall.

Inverness were trying to push the Dons back and although they launched a few high balls into the area the Dons defence looked solid all evening. In fact in the closing stages the Dons looked the more likely to score. From a McGinn cutback McLean, had a chance, Warren though got in the way and Esson was able to smother.

The Dons appealed for a handball against Warren but referee Calum Murray waved play on and his effort was eventually deflected over. McLean had a very good game when he came on, his movement was excellent and he was picking the ball up in some very good areas. There were three minutes of injury time. In the second minute good vision from McLean found McGinn in space but his effort hit the side netting. That was the last chance of the game.

Inverness CT Teamsheet
01.Ryan Esson, 02.David Raven (14.Daniel Devine 83), 03.Graeme Shinnie, 05.Gary Warren, 06.Josh Meekings, 08.Ross Draper, 10.Aaron Doran, 11.Nicholas Ross (07.Edward Ofere 67), 16.Gregory Tansey (22.Ryan Christie 77), 19.Daniel Williams, 15.Marley Watkins. Unused Subs: 12.Dean Brill, 17.Lewis Horner, 20.Liam Polworth, 25.Tarmo Kink.
Attendance: 11,319
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Calum Murray