Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hamilton

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hamilton

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Considine 24, McGinn 78, Considine 87.

03/02/2018 | KO: 15:00

Dons deliver comfortable victory

A double from Andrew Considine and a strike from Niall McGinn delivered a comfortable victory for The Dons. Newcastle United loanee Freddie Woodman was handed a debut and kept a clean sheet with a steady performance in between the sticks.

As it happened

McInnes made two changes to the side that put four past Ross County in midweek. Anthony O'Connor came in for Kari Arnason who dropped to the bench and deadline day signing Freddie Woodman was given the nod over Danny Rogers to make his Aberdeen debut.

The Dons got things underway shooting towards the Merkland Road end. The first ten minutes were fairly uneventful, the home side controlled the majority of possession but the visitors, Hamilton Academical, were resolute in defence. Ryan Christie registered the first shot on target on 10 minutes, his shot from outside the area was on target, but lacked the conviction needed to trouble Accies keeper Gary Woods. A clumsy challenge from O'Connor gave Hamilton a free kick in a dangerous area a yard outside the penalty box on the byline, but Redmond's shot/cross was blazed high over the bar and nothing came from it.
Following a fairly quiet opening quarter The Dons began to tighten the screw and on 24 minutes opened the scoring. A reckless challenge on Christie gave The Dons a free kick on the corner of the penalty area. McGinn whipped in a brilliant free kick, right footed, which Hamilton failed to clear. The ball dropped to Andrew Considine who, with his back to goal, managed to swivel and smartly volley home from close range to give the home side the lead.
Following the opening goal the game began to open up and new signing Freddie Woodman was called into action for the first time. A mistake from Kenny McLean in the middle of the park allowed Accies to break, Skondras was slipped through and fired his shot near post but Woodman was equal to it and smartly saved. From the resulting corner the Dons keeper gather with ease. Hamilton posed a threat through Danny Redmond who looked dangerous cutting inside and firing a shot on goal which was deflected out for a corner. Just after the half hour mark Adam Rooney nearly doubled the Dons advantage, running through on goal he was met by Woods but unfortunately he couldn't squeeze his effort past the Accies keeper.
Aberdeen looked a threat from set pieces with both Considine, and Rooney having aerial efforts at goal following corners but neither could hit the target. The first half drew to a close with no added time and Aberdeen went in 1-0 up at the break.
There was no changes for either side at half time and in 49th minute there was a round of applause at Pittodrie in memory of Dons supporter Mark Walker who had recently passed away. Five minutes into the second half, Scott McKenna picked the ball up 35 yards out and was understandably invited to shoot by the 13,531 Dons fans who made the trip to Pittodrie. His shot didn't quite mirror last week's screamer against Kilmarnock but a deflection did enough to force Woods into tipping the ball over the bar.
McGinn won another corner 10 minutes into the second half. His corner was flicked on by McKenna towards the far post, but unfortunately Considine could not arrive in time to get on the end of it. On 62 minutes Derek McInnes made his first change with Nwakali replacing Mackay-Steven. The encounter continued to be scrappy with neither side creating any threatening opportunities in front of goal. McGinn caused Hamilton the majority of their problems. Cutting in from the left hand side he forced a smart save at the near post from Woods. From the resulting corner Shinnie had a shot deflected out for another corner which eventually came to nothing but you got the feeling that a second goal was on it's way.
Sure enough, The Dons put the game to bed in the final 15 minutes, with Niall McGinn doubling the lead. A patient build up and lovely passing move allowed McLean the space to cross. His deflected cross fell to McGinn on the edge of the area who rocketed a volley home, leaving Woods no chance. After the goal Rooney was replaced by Maynard and with around five minutes remaining the final change was made as Shinnie was replaced by Ball. To put the icing on the cake Considine added his second and Aberdeen's third in the 87th minute. Christie cut inside from the left and whipped in a cross to the back post. Considine met it and headed home to put the game beyond all doubt.

It wasn't the prettiest at times but The Dons had earned a comfortable three points and could now look forward to the visit of Dundee United in the Scottish Cup next Sunday.
Hamilton Teamsheet
Gary Woods, Alexander Gogic, Shaun Want, Xavier Tomas, Giannis Skondras (Hughes 84), Georgios Sarris, Daniel Redmond (Cunningham 61), Scott McMann, Darren Lyon, Marios Ogboe (Rojano 69), Lewis Ferguson Unused Subs: Fulton, Scott, Miller, Tierney

Bookings:  Sarris 90
Attendance: 13,531
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Euan Anderson
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride