Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 St. Mirren

League Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Mackay-Steven 16, Shinnie 20, May 26, Mackay-Steven 57 (Pen).

18/08/2018 | KO: 15:00

Dominant Dons into last 8

Initially Derek McInnes made one change to the team that started last week's match at Dens Park with Scott Wright replacing Sam Cosgrove. New signing James Wilson missed out on the squad after picking up a knock in action for his parent club last week. The Dons were forced to make another change a few minutes before kick-off when McGinn picked up an injury in the warm-up, his place in the staring eleven was taken by Frank Ross.

Straight from kick-off Shinnie found Mackay-Steven on the right, he beat his man and crossed low for May who got his effort on target, but it was well saved from Samson and a sign of things to come in the opening stages.
A couple of minutes later Mackay-Steven was threatening again and produce another quality cross to find Ferguson lurking in the area, the midfielder connected well with the header but Samson produced a fingertip save to turn the ball over the bar.
From the corner Ball hooked it towards the back post and Ferguson prodded the ball just wide of the post from 8 yards. It was a very energetic and positive start from The Dons.
There was then a great break from Wright in the 7th minute. The youngster had perhaps taken confidence from the start Mackay-Steven had made on the opposite wing, after running from box to box Wright moved the ball onto his right foot and hit a strike which was unfortunately straight at Samson.
There was ultimately no reward in the opening ten minutes but the style of play and approach offered plenty of encouragement to the home support.
In the 13th minute St Mirren had an effort of their own when Brock-Madsen met a free-kick with a powerful header after finding space on the six-yard line, thankfully the ball lacked direction and ended up comfortably over the bar.
That proved to be a blip as Aberdeen went back on the front foot and were rewarded with the opener in the 16th minute thanks mainly to very positive play down the left-hand side from Ferguson. The youngster used speed and strength to hold off the challenge of his opposite number before clipping the ball to the back post for Mackay-Steven to connect on the volley, his strike was accurate and with the aid of a deflection made it's way into the back of the net.
Just three minutes later the lead was doubled when Mackay-Steven got the better of his man once again and floated the ball into the area for Shinnie to meet, he showed ambition and bravery to beat his man to the ball and left Samson with no chance.
The Dons were on fire and had a third when a slack pass from Samson was intercepted by Scott Wright, the youth academy graduate then strode past the keeper without breaking sweat and could have went on his own with just one defender to beat. Instead Wright opted to square the ball for May and the striker made no mistake to net his first goal of the campaign.
It was another ten minutes before the next clear cut opportunity was created when Shinnie found acres of space on the left before driving a low cross towards the near post, unfortunately it was just a foot or two in front of May who couldn't make contact despite his best efforts.
The visitors did pick up on a few loose passes but were unable to muster much of a test for Lewis before the half-time break. There was still time for a couple more good chances for the hosts though.
First it was Mackay-Steven who tested Samson after getting the beating of Coulson and this time the keeper was equal to the low shot. With just seconds remaining in the half May retrieved a long ball into the channel and found Ross on the edge of the area, he completed a one-two before threading the ball through for Shinnie who saw his low drive pushed clear by Samson. The skipper would have been disappointed not to double his tally for the day as it was a great opportunity. All in all, a very impressive half from The Dons.

The Dons started the second half in the same manner when Scott Wright broke into the area to get one-on-one with Samson, his strike was blocked and fell for May but he was unable to direct the ball towards goal.
In the 56th minute Aberdeen had a chance to make it 4-0 from the penalty spot when Mackay-Steven skinned his man with a great piece of skill just inside the area. The winger was full of confidence and subsequently took the penalty squeezing the ball past Samson to get his second of the match.
On the hour mark Forrester replaced Ross who had given a good account of himself after being thrust into the team at the last minute. Moments later former Don Cammy Smith was afforded a round of applause from the Red Army as he left the field, a disappointing afternoon for the forward who was hardly in the game.
With twenty minutes remaining Wright was replaced by Anderson and the youngster would have considered himself unlucky not to get on the scoresheet after an impressive performance.
For the final ten minutes McLennan replaced May up front. On another day May could have added to his goal tally but would have been delighted to get off the mark for the campaign. McLennan was making his first appearance at Pittodrie after being called into the squad at the last minute due to McGinn's injury.
Anderson has been beginning to make a name for himself from the bench and did well to test Samson with a volley from the edge of the area after a looping cross from Mackay-Steven, the young striker's technique was perfect but Samson was in the right place to deal with the strike.
The match had fizzled out a bit as The Dons took their foot off the gas a bit but the work was done after a devastating first half performance ended the match as a contest. It was a fine display which ensured that Aberdeen would head into the last eight of the Betfred Cup.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Shinnie, Considine, Gleeson, Ross (Forrester 61), Mackay-Steven, Wright (Anderson 71), May (McLennan 79), Devlin, Ferguson, Ball.

Unused Subs: Campbell, Cosgrove, Roscoe, Cerny.
St. Mirren Teamsheet
Samson, P. McGinn, Coulson, S. McGinn, Baird, Kpekawa (Jones 62), Willock, Magennis, Brock-Madsen (Cooke 81), Smith (MacPherson 63), Mullen

Bookings:  McGinn 44,   Willock 52
Attendance: 9,011
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Steven McLean