Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Heart of Midlothian 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Heart of Midlothian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Heart of Midlothian scorers: Ramage (pen)

21/09/1925 | KO:


If the 20,000 spectators at Tynecastle did not see a very clever exhibition of football, they were kept on edge right to the finish, wondering what the ultimate result would be. Neither the Heart of Midlothian not Aberdeen were at full strength, the Hearts having a very patched up eleven, with Ramage at back in place of Reid, a half-back line made up of A. Johnstone, Wright, and Harley, while McMillan was at centre, and Oswald of the reserves at outside left. Aberdeen had to play their reserve goalkeeper. For a long time Aberdeen were easily the better side. There was a good ounch in their attack, and they were faster on the ball. Against this the Hearts defenders had a bad time, but fortune and the brilliance of White in goal kept their record clean. The home side rallied after a time, but the shooting was bad, and McSevich was never really tested. There were some exciting bits of play before the interval, mainly in front of White, but half-time found the sides goalless. The second half was very much a replica of the first. Aberdeen were cleverer as a combination, but the Hearts defence, though beaten at times, never gave in, and in the end it was that which pulled the side through. Seventeen minutes after resuming Pirie fouled Smith in the penalty area, and Ramage scored. It was a hard but erratic game after this, with the result always in doubt. Near the close Hutton and Oswald collided. Both retired with head injuries which necessitated medical attention.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd September 1925

Although beaten by the Heart of Midlothian at Tynecastle yesterday by the only goal, from a penalty kick, Aberdeen's reputation in the Scottish capital remains unimpaired. On a beautiful autumn afternoon the game attracted 25,000 holiday spectators, and the vast majority of these could only agree that the better team lost. At most times penalty goals are unsatisfactory. Yesterday's was no exception. This is how it happened. In a breakaway by the Hearts' forwards in the second half, Pirie tackled Smith just inside the penalty area at the junction with the eighteen yards' line. He got the ball but also hooked Smith's foot in such a way as to appear a foul had been perpetrated. Both men were standing on one foot with the other foot locked in the air when the referee signalled a penalty kick. There was considerable controversy about the correctness of the decision, but very few raised the question of the legality of the manner in which the kick was taken. After a consultation amongst the Hearts' players, Wright proceeded to place the ball on the penalty spot, giving the impression that he was about to take the kick. He did not. Before Wright had rejoined the other players who, observing the rule, were ten yards behind the ball, Ramage, in accordance with a preconceived plan, ran forward and shot the ball into the net, McSevich touching it but failing to stay its progress. Naturally the question arises, was the action of the Hearts' players legal? The referee offered no objection, and therefore the goal must stand, but the incident need not close.

Players Injured.

In such controversial circumstances was the deciding goal scored in a game that except for an unfortunate accident in which Hutton, Aberdeen's right back, and Oswald, Hearts' outside left, were injured and had to leave the field ten minutes from the close, was delightful to watch. Both these players, in attempting to head a ball collided violently, and, as the result Hutton had to get his forehead stitched, and a wound on the back of Oswald's head necessitated similar treatment.
In the final half Aberdeen simply outplayed the opposition. At times they experienced exasperating luck in their shooting, but there were occasions when their own indifferent finishing was to blame for their failure to take the lead. Credit, of course, must be given White, the Hearts' goalkeeper, for his brilliant saving and anticipation. Hearts had largely him to thank for sharing in a goalless draw at half-time, but, even so, had Aberdeen been a little less prodigal of their chances, they must have been held a lead of several goals. There certainly was a little more equality in the second half, yet Aberdeen were generally top-dog in everything except the all-important essential of goalscoring. Throughout they played lovely football, but brilliant outfield play was nullified by failures in shooting. A big tactical blunder was made in the closing stages, when, after the retiral of Hutton, Smith was withdrawn to left back at a time when the team, a goal in arrears, should have been concentrating on attack.
McSevich, in the Aberdeen goal, was never really tested, so well was he protected by Hutton and Bruce, who were both brilliant at back. All three Aberdeen half-backs were in first-class form, and all over in defence Aberdeen held a marked superiority. The attack moved very smoothly, especially in the outfield, in which Smith had a field day, and Reid only to a slightly less extent. The inside forwards, too, did well, but they undid all their grand outfield work tby their failure to heir locate the space between the Hearts' goalkeeper and the posts.
White gave a really magnificent display in goal for Hearts, and but for him the Edinburgh team would certainly have been well beaten. Ramage and Jamieson at back never compared favourably with Hutton and Bruce. At centre-half Wright was, next to White, the Hearts' most useful player. In attack Smith and Black the best of a line that- was disjointed, and was never out of the grip of the fine defence opposed to them.

The Play Described.

Aberdeen made headway at the start, and Ramage was forced to concede a corner, off which W. K. Jackson headed on to the top of the net. Aberdeen maintained the pressure, and Reid raced past Jamieson to square accurately. The ball was weakly pushed out to W. K. Jackson, and the latter from good position drove wildly over. Playing beautiful football, Aberdeen kept up the attack, and White, at full length, got in the way of a close-range shot from Reid. The Hearts' defence continued in difficulties, and from the right White saved a hard drive from Walter Jackson. Ultimately the Hearts' right got going, and Smith forced two corners, relief being found when Davidson headed over. Another raid by the Aberdeen forwards ended with W. K. Jackson shooting over. This evoked retaliation, and at the other end, with only McSevich to beat, McMillan brushed the ball wide. Despite this, Aberdeen continued to have the upper hand, and White in quick succession had to save from Smith and MacLachlan. Aberdeen kept swinging the ball from the wings, and lobs by Smith and MacLachlan repeatedly had the Hearts' defence in difficulties. Smith found it easy to beat Ramage, and off another cross by the Aberdeen left-winger, Reid narrowly missed scoring with a header. Following persistent pressure by the Aberdeen forwards, Smith got away for Hearts, and for the first time in twenty minutes McSevich was in action when he fisted clear from the winger's centre. The Aberdeen left wing was easily the best combination on the field at this stage. White had to rush out and fist away from Smith, and off a corner forced by W. K. Jackson, the Hearts goalkeeper had to save from McDermid. After a rush by the Hearts, Walter Jackson got away with a clear field. He raced inside the penalty area, but when a goal looked certain he shot the ball against White, who came out to meet him. The ball bounded to Smith, and the latter's lightning shot flashed inches wide of the unattended goal. At this stage White was saving the Hearts. At full length he pushed away a lightning drive from Walter Jackson, and a few seconds later, with one hand, tipped over the bat another great shot from the Aberdeen centre-forward. Playing brilliant football, Aberdeen hammered the Hearts defence, who were saved from defeat by White's brilliant goalkeeping. Aberdeen could do everything but score, and on pressure and superior all-round play they might have been several goals up. Smith left Ramage behind to whisk over yet another centre, only to see Reid head inches over Whites crossbar.
After these heart-breaking experiences Aberdeen slackened off, and, following a raid by the Hearts' right, Black shot over from close range. The Aberdeen slackening off was only momentarily, and Walter Jackson, when past the Hearts' back, attempted a shot on the run, but only sent the ball rolling into White's hands. A break-away by the Hearts saw McMillan just miss with a clever effort, and at the other end Walter Jackson missed narrowly with a fine hooked shot, and in another attack Smith swept the ball wide. Just on the interval Walter Jackson, with only White in front, sent the ball to the goalkeeper's feet, and at half-time there was no scoring.

<A Penalty Goal

Hearts assumed the offensive when play resumed, but first Bruce and then Hutton got in timely clearances. Aberdeen in tyrn showed they had not shot their bolt in the first half. Reid dribbld down to have his centre headed into corner by Ramage, who nearly put through his own goal. The flag-kick was cleared, but Aberdeen would not be shaken off. W. K. Jackson brought White to his knees, and following this Walter Jackson with only Whyte in front sent weakly past the goal. Aberdeen kept up the pressure and subsequently both W. K. and Walter Jackson had shots blocked in front of the Hearts' goat. Hearts recovered and after McSevich had picked up a clearance from onrushing opponents, Oswald sent the ball against the net.
Then disaster overtook Aberdeen. Pirie in stopping Smith appeared to trip him in the penalty area, and the referee made the full award. Wright placed the ball and Ramage following up beat McSevioh, who, however got his hands on the bail, but just failed to stay its progress to the net. It was a most unsatisfactory goal, and for on Hearts to take the lead was all against the run of the play, although they were undoubtedly a much improved team this half. The reverse upset Aberdeen, but they played up Pluckily, 0n one occasion Whyte was lured out of his charge, but Reid sent over the empty goal. Later Smith gave Whyte a fast ball to save from the touchline and W. K. Jackson headed against the outside of the net.
For a time the game went greatly in favour of Aberdeen, but their finishing was weak and a foot injuy to Walter Jackson handicapped them. Hutton was called up to take a free kick just outside the penalty area. He got the ball past a wall of defenders, but Ramage shot out a foot to intercept it when Whyte looked like getting beaten, and after a scrimmage, the danger was cleared. Play continued to be mostly in the Hearts' territory, but their defence muddled through. Hutton and Oswald came into violent contact and both were knocked out. Hutton, whose head was cut, recovered and was able to walk to the pavilion for attention, but Oswald had to be carried off. Hutton's absence meant more to Aberdeen than Oswald's to Hearts and subsequently the home attack came more into the picture. McMillan's head and Smith struck the crossbar from long range. Smith having fallen back, and with only four forwards, Aberdeen pressed vigorously towards the close, and in exciting finish just failed to get what would have been a well-deserved goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd September 1925

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet
White; Ramage, Jamieson; Johnstone, Wright, Harley; Smith, Dand, McMillan, Black, Oswald
Attendance: 25,000
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Referee: C. Bilmay, Glasgow