Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Peterhead 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Peterhead 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Aberdeen scorers: Cosgrove 35, Logan 70.

03/07/2019 | KO: 19:45

New look Dons impress in Peterhead

A number of the Aberdeen new boys caught the eye this evening and only a fine performance from keeper Greg Fleming prevented a more comprehensive victory. New signing James Wilson made an appearance in the last ten minutes.

There was a quiet opening to the game.

Centre half Scott Hooper did well to intercept a Greg Leigh cross that was looking Sam Cosgrove.

In the sixth minute a good burst forward by Dean Campbell created the first opportunity but a number of Aberdeen players were unable to work an opening and eventually it was Campbell who saw a shot blocked and Peterhead were able to clear.

The fist corner came after a good play down the right from Lewis Ferguson. Ryan Hedges took the set piece, which was punched behind by keeper Greg Fleming for a second corner. Hedges again took it, another good delivery but the home side were able to head the ball to safety.

A good defensive header stopped Ferguson getting on the end of a Hedges cross - the ex Barnsley man was seeing plenty of the ball and was looking very lively in the opening stages.

On 12 minutes Aberdeen produced a well worked free kick which saw Taylor head the ball back across goal and Ferguson was not far away from getting a touch before the ball went behind for corner number three which Fleming claimed with a good catch.

After 17 minutes a Ferguson shot was deflected behind for another corner. This time it was taken quickly by Scott Wright who found Hedges and from a better angle his dangerous curling cross to the back post was well held by Fleming under pressure.

20 minutes in, neither keeper had really made a save of note.

On 23 minutes a shot from Scott Brown was off target but it very nearly turned into a defence splitting pass - only a slip from Aidan Smith prevent what would have been a very good chance before the ball ran through to Joe Lewis.

A minute later Aberdeen gave away the ball and then compounded the mistake by giving away a free kick in a good area. Derek Lyle took it, his shot hit the wall and deflected behind for a first Peterhead corner. When the ball came in the home side appealed for hand ball but referee John Beaton waved play on. They were also maybe claiming that Scott Hooper was fouled.

On 28 minutes Aidan Smith showed good skill to beat Taylor but Logan was covering and did enough to make sure Smith's shot was an easy one for Lewis.

The first change of the game with half an hour gone. Derek Lyle was replaced by Gary Fraser.

It had been a good little spell from Peterhead.

On 31 minutes, after some sloppy play from the Dons, Scott Wright put over a very good ball looking for Ethan Ross - Jamie Stevenson did well to cut out the cross at the expensive of a corner.

A minute later very positive play by Wright, he spotted a gap in the Peterhead defence and cut in before attempting a shot which went narrowly over the bar.

On 35 minutes Wright was involved again, and this time he created the opening goal.

Scott got the break of the ball and took full advantage of the situation when he showed great pace to get clear of the defence. The winger could have had a shot himself but very unselfishly squared the ball for Cosgrove, and although Fleming got a touch, he could not keep it out of the net.

On 39 minutes Ethan Ross was very alert and had a left footed shot after a decent long ball by Ferguson. Keeper Fleming made a good block.

Two minutes later excellent play against by Wright. He created an opening and produced a powerful shot which was palmed away by Fleming. The ball landed at the feet of Cosgrove who scuffed his shot and the keeper, who was well out of position, gratefully gathered the ball.

A minute before half time Greg Leigh set up Wright who had an excellent shot but Fleming was again equal to it. Scott tried to curl the ball in but the keeper read it well.

Half Time: Peterhead 0 Aberdeen 1

During the interval the home side brought on former Aberdeen youngster Aaron Norris and Jason Brown - brother of former Aberdeen youngster Jordon. There were no changes in the away dressing room.

It was also a slow start to second half until Cosgrove picked up the ball up on the edge of the box from a good ball from Leigh and after creating some space Sam tried a shot which Fleming held.

Another smart stop.

Peterhead had another good period of possession before on the hour mark another ex Aberdeen youngster Michael Dunlop came on for Cameron Eadie.

On 61 minutes Ethan Ross went down in the area but Beaton pointed for a goal kick.

Then Aberdeen made four changes with McKenna, Develin, Gallagher and May all coming on for Leigh, Taylor, Wright and E Ross. Andy Considine went to left back and Jon Gallagher played on the left wing.

The changes brought fresh energy to the Aberdeen side.

On 66 minutes Gallagher had a run and shot and produced a fine right footed shot which just went over the bar.

In the 69th minute Aberdeen scored a second. It was a good build up, with Hedges heavily involved and he found Shay Logan who produced a great right footed shot which gave Fleming no chance. A really strong finish from Shay.

A lovely pass by Campbell released Gallagher who showed good pace until he was brought down on the edge of the area. Ferguson took the free kick which smashed the ball off on the junction of bar and post.

Aberdeen were well on top with 15 minutes to go and only a few wrong decisions taken inside the area prevented more goals.

At the other end, although they did not have much to do this evening, the defence were very composed throughout with Taylor and Leigh both very dominant.

With ten minutes left Bruce Anderson and Seb Ross came on for Campbell and Cosgrove.

On 83 minutes fine pace again from Gallagher who found Hedges inside the area but his shot ballooned over the bar. The Welsh winger deserved a goal after an impressive performance. He looks like being a very good signing.

It was Ryan's last touch as he was then replaced by new signing James Wilson after 83 minutes. Both players got warm applause from the Aberdeen fans in the 2,000 strong crowd.
Stevie May then set Gallagher who could not get a touch. The ball was picked up by Ethan Ross who set up May and he had a shot which came off the post and somehow Peterhead survived. It really should have been a third goal.

Still, another good workout and some very encouraging performances.

Peterhead issued a digital programme for this match - copies were later printed.
Peterhead Teamsheet
Fleming, Stevenson (J Brown 46), Boyle, Eadie (Dunlop 59), Hooper, Ferry (Armour 75), Smith, S Brown, McAllister (Norris 46), Lyle (Fraser 30), Leitch
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, Leigh (McKenna 64), Considine, Taylor (Devlin 64), Ferguson, Campbell (Ross 80), Hedges (Wilson 83), Wright (Gallagher 64), Ross (May 64), Cosgrove (Anderson 80).

Unused Subs: Virtanen, Cerny.
Attendance: 2,042
Venue: Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead
Referee: Graham Beaton