Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Mirren

Scottish Premiership

13/02/2021 | KO: 15:00

Goalless at Pittodrie

It was a day when the howling wind defeated both sides at Pittodrie left the Dons still searching for a goal and for a win as the afternoon ended goalless.

Derek McInnes made three changes to his Aberdeen side after the defeat at Easter Road last weekend. In came new signing Flo Kamberi for his debut, Dean Campbell and Niall McGinn, replacing Ash Taylor and Dylan McGeouch who started from the bench, and the injured Greg Leigh. Andrew Considine made it 430 league appearances for the Dons, moving him into third place in the all-time table, with just Willie Miller and Alex McLeish ahead of him now. McGinn made his 260th league appearance for the club, cementing his place in the all-time top 20.

St Mirren made two changes from the side that was beaten 4-0 at home to Celtic on Wednesday night. In came Richard Tait and Lee Erwin in place of Jonathan Obika, who dropped to the bench, and the injured Jamie McGrath.

It was a typically freezing February afternoon with a swirling, howling wind as the game kicked off at Pittodrie, the visitors playing with the wind behind them. After a scrappy start, St Mirren had the first chance after seven minutes, Durmus away down their left and playing a neat cross into the near post where Joe Lewis spread himself to make a sharp save from Flynn, Campbell tidying things up.

Aberdeen had their first shot on goal five minutes later, Matty Kennedy drifting inside to drive a shot that Alnwick gathered low down in front of the post. The fierce wind was making it hard for the Dons to get the ball forward, passes constantly holding up. It actually helped in the 14th minute, Campbell with some local knowledge playing one forward over 60 yards down the left side that bent infield in the wind, like the shaping of a pitch into the green. It was a very clever ball. McGinn was onto it inside the box, but the ball stuck under his feet and the chance was gone.

Connolly won a free-kick out on the right in the 21st minute and Lewis had to tip Durmus' delivery over, safety first in the gusting wind, the corner coming to nothing. Two minutes later, with Lewis Ferguson carrying the ball goalwards, he was felled in similar fashion, but the defender was not penalised.

McGinn caused chaos in the St Mirren box in the 26th minute, whipping the ball into the near post from the left, but it wouldn't quite fall for a red shirt and the Buddies were able to clear their lines. Good defending from St Mirren who got plenty of bodies around the ball.
Good work from Ross McCrorie, snapping away in midfield, created a first opportunity for Kamberi in the 29th minute, the debutant trying his luck with a shot from all of 30 yards that forced Alnwick into a save, a worthwhile dig at goal in the treacherous conditions. Kamberi was having some nice touches.

McCarthy took a boot in the face on the half hour as he tried to get on the end of a bouncing ball, the defender needing some treatment on the pitch and possibly a visit to the dentist next week. On the stroke of half time some pressure from the visitors and they were unlucky in stoppage time when the referee pulled the play back for a foul and failed to spot the advantage when Dylan Connolly was in space down the Dons left. Connolly had a good tussle with Jonny Hayes who was playing left back during that first 45 minutes.


MacPherson was a half-time switch for the visitors, taking the place of Doyle-Hayes who had picked up a knock in the last seconds of the first half. The conditions were, if anything, even worse by the time the two sides came out after the interval.

After a decent little spell the Dons won a free-kick in a central position, some 30 yards out in the 53rd minute, Hornby stepping up to take it and fire wide of goal. The Buddies made their second substitution on 59 minutes, Erwin replaced by Obika as Aberdeen were beginning to pen the visitors into their own half, though in truth, at this point, the weather was having the better of both sides. Connolly then made way for McAllister in the 76th minute.

Aberdeen made a double change after 77 minutes, Connor McLennan and Callum Hendry replacing McGinn and Hornby as Aberdeen looked for a way through. A 25 yarder from Kennedy drew a comfortable save from Alnwick a minute later, the first save either goalkeeper had had to make in the second period.

McAllister became the first booking of the day, chopping down McLennan as he ran towards goal in the 81st minute. From the free-kick, out on the right flank, Campbell put a good looking ball into the box, but it wouldn't fall for Ferguson and Saints hacked clear. A minute later, Kennedy tried to curl in a free-kick from the other side, but the wind caught it again and carried it behind.

It was Saints who had the next poke at goal, McAllister firing in a 30 yard free-kick but Lewis watched it all the way into the gloves, a comfortable save as, again, neither side could find a really telling strike. Kennedy made way for Ethan Ross in the 85th minute, following which there was an almighty scramble in the St. Mirren box but again, the ball just wouldn't drop for a Don. Saints were quickly on the break from there, Campbell taking a booking for stopping McAllister's run.

From the free kick Lewis made a brilliant save to keep out a Obika effort at the back post but the whistle went for a foul.

A minute from time, Flynn took a nasty tumble, seemingly getting his foot caught in the turf and requiring lengthy treatment. Aberdeen then pieced together some nice passes as the game went into injury time, ending up with Ross trying to pop a cross into the box. At first glance Erhahon looked to have handled the ball, albeit without intent.

In the end a draw was a fair result.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Hoban, Considine, Hornby (Hendry 77), McGinn (McLennan 77), Hayes, Ferguson, Kamberi, Campbell, Kennedy (Ross 85), McCrorie.

Unused Subs: Woods, Logan, Taylor, McGeouch, Virtanen, MacKenzie.

Bookings:  Campbell (86).
St. Mirren Teamsheet
Alnwick, Tait, Shaughnessy, McCarthy, Doyle-Hayes (MacPherson 46), Flynn, Durmus, Connolly (McAllister 76), Fraser, Erwin (Obika 59), Erhahon

Unused Substitutes: Lyness, Urminsky, Finlayson, Mason, Henderson, Jamieson

Bookings:  McAllister 81
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Euan Anderson
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead