Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

Scottish Premiership
Aberdeen scorers: Ferguson 37 (Pen), Ferguson 65 (Pen), Besuijen 81.

19/03/2022 | KO: 15:00

Dons roar to victory

Having given Hibs a goal start, a performance full of character and, in the second half in particular, no little quality, saw the Dons roar to victory and put themselves right back in contention for a top half finish to the season.

There was just the one change for the Dons from the side that lost 1-0 at Ibrox, Calvin Ramsay returning to the side at right-back in place of the absent Funso Ojo. There was a very welcome return to the bench for Andy Considine and Marley Watkins.

After winning 2-1 at Motherwell in the Scottish Cup quarter-final last weekend, Hibs made two changes to their side with Kevin Dabrowski replacing Matt Macey in goal and Rocky Bushiri in for Ewan Henderson.

Spring had arrived at a sun kissed, and boisterous, Pittodrie, a good crowd in full voice from the off. A heavy touch from Joe Lewis from a backpass ended in the Dons conceding a fourth minute free-kick on the left, Jasper whipping it across the face and only just wide of goal.

Dabrowski then slipped as he tried to clear, slicing behind for a seventh minute corner. Connor Barron's centre was curling goalwards, Dabrowski punching clear from under the bar. There was a terrific save from Dabrowski on ten minutes, Vicente Besuijen's deep cross to the back post met by Connor McLennan's header, the keeper clawing the ball away to safety from close range.

The first caution went the way of Newell on 16 minutes, stamping on Lewis Ferguson as he got away down the left, Barron's free-kick flying over the bar as he tried to curl it into the far corner.

On 20 minutes, Hibs were in front. Cadden looped the ball into the back post and as Ramsay stretched to divert it away, he got his angles completely wrong and turned the ball past Lewis from four yards out. Ramsay's woes continued, a poor ball in midfield forcing Ross McCrorie into a late tackle, collecting a yellow card as a result. David Bates was booked on 28 minutes for grabbing the shirt of Melkersen.

The Dons got themselves a lifeline on 35 minutes with a spell of good possession in the Hibs half. At the end of it, Barron's shot from distance into the box was handled by Bushiri, the referee pointing to the penalty spot. Normal service was resumed from the spot by Ferguson, drilling the ball down the middle to even things up.

Melkersen caused problems from Jasper's looped ball forward on 40 minutes, Bates coming across him to clear on the edge of the area as the visitors probed again. Jonny Hayes was away at the other end moments later, played into a good position by McLennan but 25 yards out, he took a wild swipe at the ball that saw it fly into the crowd.


The Dons started the second half well, penning Hibs in. Five minutes in, a dipping ball from Ferguson out on the left almost snuck under the bar, Dabrowski having to acrobatically tip the ball over. McLennan was next to try his luck, a low drive from 25 yards out clasped by Dabrowski.

O he hour, Hibs made the first change of the game, Wright replaced by Mueller, Campbell then booked almost immediately booked for a foul on Ferguson. From the free-kick, Barron picked out Bates who powered a header goalwards. It cannoned off the bar and dropped into the six yard box where Porteous simply kicked McCrorie up in the air as he looked set to score.

Referee Muir had no option but to point to the spot and then sending Porteous for the early bath. Ferguson buried the ball in the bottom corner, sending Dabrowski the wrong way. Hibs were losing their discipline now, Stevenson booked almost straight from the kick-off for kicking Besuijen from behind.

Newell won Hibs a free-kick on the edge of the box on 74 minutes, Jasper sending his shot straight down Lewis' throat.

The Dons should have sealed it on 75, Barron's delivery from a left wing corner reaching Bates but from eight yards out, he put his header over the bar, a missed opportunity for the home side.

Watkins and Dylan McGeouch were Aberdeen's first substitutes with McLennan and Ramsay making way with a dozen minutes left to play.

It was 3-1 with ten minutes to go, McGeouch combining with Watkins down the right before the Welshman crossed low into the box. From 14 yards out, Besuijen swivelled and hit the ball on the turn to crash it into the roof of the net. Hibs immediately responded with three changes - Hanlon, Henderson and O'Connor replacing Newell, Stevenson and Melkersen.

Christian Ramirez went chasing a long ball on 86 minutes before pulling up sharply, replaced immediately by Michael Ruth with three minutes left. Henderson then went in the book for another late tackle as Hibs were falling apart. Two more late changes for the Dons saw the hugely impressive Barron replaced by Dante Polvara and Besuijen making way for Jenks as the home side secured three huge points.

Weather: Dry and sunny
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, McCrorie, Gallagher, Ramirez (Ruth 87), Besuijen (Jenks 90), Hayes, McLennan (Watkins 78), Ferguson, Ramsay (McGeouch 78), Bates, Barron (Polvara 89).

Unused Subs: Woods, Considine, , .

Bookings:  McCrorie (22),  Bates (28).
Hibernian Teamsheet
Dabrowski, Wright (Mueller 61), Stevenson (v Hanlon 81), Doig, Porteous, Cadden, Campbell, Newell (Handerson 82), Melkersen (O'Connor 82), Bushri, Jasper

Unused substitutes: Hauge, Doyle-Hayes, Doidge

Bookings:  Newell 16,   Campbell 62,   Stevenson 66,   Henderson 89  Porteous 63
Attendance: 15,321
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Alan Muir