Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 St. Mirren

Scottish Premiership

15/05/2022 | KO: 12:00

Pittodrie Bids Farewell to Andy as final game of the season ends in a draw

Pittodrie said a fond farewell to Andrew Considine, but the game couldn't live up to the occasion, more of the same as Aberdeen failed to turn 66% possession into goals.

There were four changes to Jim Goodwin's starting XI for the last game of the season, including the return of Andrew Considine, skippering the Dons in his 571st and final game for the club. Also back in the side were Ross McCrorie, Marley Watkins and Jonny Hayes. Funso Ojo, Michael Ruth, Adam Montgomery and Declan Gallagher all started on the bench.

After their 0-0 draw with Livingston in midweek, there were three changes to the St Mirren side, former Dons Joe Shaughnessy and Curtis Main missing from the squad, Ryan Flynn on the bench. In their starting places were Richard Tait, Alan Power and Jay Henderson.

There was a guard of honour from both sides for Andy Considine as he came onto the pitch with his three boys, some tribute to one of Aberdeen's all-time heroes, and thoroughly well deserved.

A bustling run from Watkins in the second minute got the crowd out of their seats again, powering forward over 50 yards and into the Buddies' box before being frozen out by weight of numbers.

Aberdeen were inches away from an opener on six minutes. A searing run from Hayes down the left was initially stopped by Fraser but Hayes kept the pressure on and the clearance was collected by Lewis Ferguson. His curling shot from 25 yards looked set for the net until Alnwick stretched to tip it over. From the short corner, the ball was worked into the box, Considine connecting nicely only to see his effort blocked.

Henderson had St Mirren's first sight of goal, pouncing on a loose ball on the edge of the box to flash a shot just over the bar. A couple of minutes later, Joe Lewis had to be lively, diving to his left to clutch a header from McCarthy after a free-kick was floated into the box from deep.

The first booking came on 28 minutes, Erhahon trying to rugby tackle Connor Barron to the ground. Ferguson had the hosts' next effort, smashing a left footed drive over the bar from just inside the box after collecting a lay off from Watkins.

Barron was so close to a first Aberdeen goal on 37, denied by a terrific save from Alnwick. Hayes had collected a loose clearance on the right before feeding the ball into the youngster. His first time shot from just inside the box looked bound for the bottom corner but Alnwick was down smartly to tip it behind. From the corner, McCrorie smashed the ball into the net from six yards out, only to see the referee pointing for a foul to the visitors, presumably for an infringement on the goalkeeper.

In the final minute of the half, Barron drifted a free-kick to the back post, the referee pointing to the spot, Bates' header back across goal clearly striking Tanser's arm, well above his head. It looked a blatant penalty, but the referee then consulted with his assistant and ruled it out, giving the decision St Mirren's away. A remarkable end to the half.


Aberdeen won a first minute corner on the restart, Considine flicking a header across the face from Barron's delivery. In the aftermath, he took some treatment and with that, the Andrew Considine era was done. The crowd rose to him as he made his way off the pitch, giving a standing ovation as he was replaced by Gallagher.

Tait was next to need treatment, triggering a double change for the visitors, Henderson also making way as Brophy and Millar joined the game. Brophy was in the action on 57 minutes, twisting and turning at the top of the box before dragging a shot wide of goal.

Aberdeen were straight up the other end, a Vicente Besuijen shot deflected onto the roof of the net. A double change followed for Aberdeen on the hour, Watkins and Polvara replaced by Liam Harvey and Ojo, McCrorie moving into midfield.

The Dons began to turn the temperature up from there, Hayes flashing a couple of shots at goal but they were still toiling to create any real clear openings on goal.

A horrible lunge, late and over the ball, on Barron on 68 minutes from Erhahon somehow went unpunished - it could easily have drawn a straight red card on another day, let alone the midfielder's second yellow of the day. Bates was shown no such leniency on 71, booked for a high foot. Tanser put the free-kick miles over the bar, symptomatic of the afternoon. Erhahon was hooked for Flynn on 74 minutes.

Hayes continued to wage his one man war on St Mirren, bludgeoning a volley at goal from 25 yards on 77 minutes, Alnwick away to his right to save. Hayes made way on 79, Matty Kennedy replacing him for the final few minutes. Kiltie was in the book on 80 minutes for a late and high tackle on Jack MacKenzie.

Harvey had a golden chance to open his Aberdeen account on 86 minutes, Kennedy hoisting up a great cross to the back post. Harvey peeled away from the defenders and headed down into the corner but Alnwick was equal to it, shovelling behind. From Ojo's corner, the keeper was at it again, tipping Gallagher's header over the bar.

Besuijen danced his way into the box on 89 minutes before firing in a shot that was blocked behind. In the aftermath, Greive was replaced by Gilmartin.

A final effort came as Kennedy cut inside only to fire over, and that was that, Aberdeen ending a desperately disappointing season in tenth position in the table.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, McCrorie, MacKenzie, Considine (Gallagher 46), Watkins (Harvey 60), Besuijen, Hayes (Kennedy 79), Ferguson, Polvara (Ojo 61), Bates, Barron.

Unused Subs: Woods, Montgomery, McLennan, Ruth, Milne.

Bookings:  Bates (70).
St. Mirren Teamsheet
Alnwick, Fraser, Gogic, McCarthy, Tait (Millar 51), Henderson (Brophy 51), Power, Erhahon (Flynn 74), Tanser, Kiltie, Greive (Gilmartin 91)

Unused substitutes: Lyness, Thomson

Bookings:  Erhahon 28,   Kiltie 80
Attendance: 14,906
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Don Robinson
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead