Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 6 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 3 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Hibernian scorers: Campbell 10, Campbell 15, Youan 46, Nisbet 73, Campbell (pen) 88, Fish 91

28/01/2023 | KO: 15:00

Aberdeen slumped to a second consecutive drubbing in the capital, the Dons dropping into the bottom half after a win that was all too easy for Hibs at Easter Road.

There were three changes to the Aberdeen side beaten at Darvel in the Scottish Cup on Monday. Hayden Coulson, Patrik Myslovic and Ryan Duncan all dropped to the bench with Jonny Hayes, Graeme Shinnie and Bojan Miovski all starting. Tom Ritchie, Dante Polvara and Findlay Marshall returned among the substitutes.

Hibs, who lost 3-0 at home to Hearts last Sunday, made four changes to their starting line up with Kevin Nisbet and Marijan Cabraja starting from the bench, Ryan Porteous having moved to Watford and Rocky Bushiri injured. They were replaced by Paul Hanlon, Joe Newell, Harry McKirdy and Will Fish.

On an understandably tense afternoon, the Dons started briskly but it was Hibs who had the first half chance after four minutes, Liam Scales not getting enough on his header back to the goalkeeper, Joe Lewis having to be brave to deny Youan who was looking to chase it down.

Hibs were in front on 10 minutes through Campbell. Youan wriggled into space inside the box too easily and shovelled a shot at goal. Lewis was at full stretch to palm the ball away with his left hand but it was Campbell who was quickest to react to the loose ball to drive into the empty net.

It was 2-0 on the quarter hour, a Hibs corner from the left causing the damage. It was floated towards the edge of the box where Campbell was allowed to run free from his marker and, given a free header, planted it into the top corner from 16 yards out.

Duk was away down the left on 19 minutes, drifting inside and then looping the ball through the six yard area, but with no Aberdeen takers for the tap in that it should have provided.

Matty Kennedy had the Dons' first real shot at goal on 25 minutes, drifting inside before firing over the bar from 20 yards out. A couple of minutes later, Hayes was in the book for being a fraction late in a tackle on Jeggo.

Shinnie looked to be in on goal after 31 minutes, getting on the end of a ball forward from Leighton Clarkson, but Campbell came across with a terrific saving tackle as he was about to pull the trigger from eight yards out.

An Aberdeen corner followed, the ball half cleared to Kennedy who clipped a cross-cum-shot towards the back post that again didn't find a red shirt coming onto it. Shinnie was booked on 43 for a challenge on McKirdy.

On the brink of half-time, it was 3-0 from another Hibs corner, this time on the right. A simple ball onto the edge of the six-yard box found Yoan far too easily and he was gifted the simplest of tasks to head past Lewis from close in.


There were no changes at the break, but Ylber Ramadani took a knock to the back of the head two minutes in and required lengthy treatment before continuing.

Duk was on his way on 53 minutes, chasing past Campbell down the left but his cross was overhit. The game was being played largely in the Hibs half now but the Dons were still unable to carve out a meaningful change in the opening period of the half. It was Hibs who came closest to finding the first goal of the half, hitting on the counter-attack, Youan's low drive pushed behind by Lewis.

Coulson and Callum Roberts were introduced on the hour, Kennedy and Clarkson making way. Scales was then carded for a foul on Youan. Campbell followed him in on 64 minutes for a trip on Ross McCrorie.

Scales came closer than any other Aberdeen player thus far on 65 minutes, stretching to get his head on a Hayes corner but putting it just over the bar from ten yards out. Hibs then made their first change, Nisbet replacing McGeady on 68 minutes. McKirdy made way for Miller on 73 minutes.

Within 30 seconds, it was 4-0, from an Aberdeen free-kick, deep in Hibs territory. The ball was cleared and two passes later, Nisbet was clean through with just 50 yards and Lewis between him and the goal. He covered the ground smoothly and slotted into the bottom corner.

With 13 minutes left, Hibs made their final changes, Newell and Cadden were taken off, O'Connor and MacIntyre replacing them. Duk was then booked for a petulant kick at Miller. Myslovic, Duncan and Barron replaced Hayes, Shinnie and Miovski after 83 minutes.

A long ball into the box from Hibs caused chaos again, Scales in a tangle with O'Connor on the edge of the box. Scales hauled him down, conceding a penalty and collecting a second yellow card in the 87th minute. Campbell slotted the ball into the bottom corner for 5-0.

There was still time for it to get worse, a free-kick clipped in from the left, finding Fish standing all on his own at the back post. Heading the ball back across the face of goal, Lewis got a hand to it, but couldn't prevent it nestling in the net. A dismal end to a grim day.

3 minutes added at end of 1st half
3 minutes added at end of 2nd half
Hibernian Teamsheet
Marshall, Hanlon, Newell (O'Connor 77), Cadden (MacIntyre 77), Jeggo, Stevenson, McKirdy (Miller 73), Youan, Fish, Campbell, McGeady (Nisbet 68)

Unused Substitutes: Johnson, Cabraja, Jair, Henderson, Laidlaw

Bookings:  Campbell 64,   Nisbet 80
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, McCrorie, Scales, Stewart, Shinnie (Duncan 82), Miovski (Myslovič 82), Lopes, Ramadani, Hayes (Barron 82), Clarkson (Coulson 60), Kennedy (Roberts 60).

Unused Subs: Ritchie, Watkins, Polvara, Marshall.

Bookings:  Hayes (28),  Shinnie (44),  Scales (61),  Lopes (78),  Scales (87),  Scales (87).
Attendance: 16,671
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Craig Napier
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride