Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Turriff United 1 - 5 Aberdeen

HT Score: Turriff United 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire Shield Quarter Final
Turriff United scorers: Cormack 45+2
Aberdeen scorers: Bavidge 7, Reid 37, Emslie 65, Harvey 75, Wilson 89 (Pen).

18/10/2023 | KO: 20:00

Dons Progress In Aberdeenshire Shield

A young Aberdeen XI comfortably progressed to the Semi final of the Morrison Motors Aberdeenshire Shield on Wednesday night, defeating Turriff United by five goals to one at a chilly Haughs.

Goals from Alfie Bavidge, Aaron Reid, Adam Emslie, Liam Harvey and Cammy Wilson were enough to see of their Highland League opposition, even after left back Brendan Hamilton was shown a straight red card with twenty minutes of the tie remaining.


A familiar looking Aberdeen Under 18’s team were aided by the presence of Tom Ritchie and Jack Milne from the first team group, alongside young Dons loanees Blair Mckenzie, Dylan Lobban, Bavidge and Emslie. Aaron Reid partnered Alfie up front as he made his return to the Haughs, the former Turriff striker enjoyed a successful spell at this ground before resigning for the Dons.

Manageress Turriff shuffled their pack and elected to make a host of changes to the side that were defeated at the weekend by Aberdeen’s opponents in the last round, Fraserburgh. There was also a spot on the bench for former Aberdeen youth player Timi Fatona.

After a few half chances for both teams during the opening exchanges, it was the Dons who struck first. Bavidge got the better of captain Dylan Stuart inside the area, was hauled to the ground and then confidently smashed a penalty past Dey in the host’s goal. The Turriff keeper got a hand to the spot-kick, but it was too powerful, drilled hard and low to Dey’s right and Aberdeen were ahead.

The Dons looked comfortable after going ahead and began to take control, passing up on a few chances to extend their lead. Turriff began to slowly grow into the tie, and they had muted claims for a penalty turned away. Ritchie was called into action on a few occasions, but it was all very routine for the Aberdeen keeper.

The chances started to come thick and fast at both ends, Bavidge jinked into the penalty box and this time unleashed an effort that beat Dey but was thwarted by Andy Watt’s goal line clearance. Emslie tried his luck with the rebound, but it was wide on the half volley.

Alfie Stewart was next in line to have a go towards goal, his effort on the angle was blocked by Max Foster as the Under 18’s captain honed in on goal. Up the other end, a Turriff free kick from a dangerous position just outside the box sailed high over the bar, out the ground and into the Aberdeenshire night.

After 37 minutes the Dons were 2-0 up, Reid the goal scorer. The centre forward was brave and got his head just infront of his man to meet Findlay Marshall’s cross at the near post and send it into the back of the net.

In the closing seconds of the half Turriff responded with a goal that ensured it was all to play for in the second 45. Murray Cormack did well to drive down the line and cut inside before unleashing a low effort past the helpless Ritchie.

The Don’s kick-off was immediately met with the sound of the referee’s whistle and that was it for the first half.

Half time, Turriff United 1-2 Aberdeen.

Looking inspired by the late goal, Turriff came quick out the traps and Aberdeen had to ride out a period where they were on the back foot, but their Highland League counterparts were unable to find the leveller.

Liam Harvey was introduced in place of Aaron Reid with 25 minutes to go. The Elgin City loanee was introduced at the top end of the pitch where he joined forces with Bavidge up front, a strike partner he enjoyed immense goal scoring success with at Under 18 level last season.

Within a minute of his introduction Harvey had contributed to a goal.

The striker was unleashed by a searching first time ball up the park courtesy of Hamilton, before Harvey squared the ball with his first touch of the game to Emslie who was waiting to blast home and re-establish Aberdeen’s two goal lead in the tie.

With 20 to play Hamilton was shown a straight red card for a lunging challenge, and Aberdeen were forced to see out the game with ten men on the park.

The captain on the night Milne went down with a knock soon after the Dons dismissal, and with the defender unable to recover he was replaced by Christovie Kondolo.

Harvey went one better than an assist off the bench by getting himself on the scoresheet with thirteen minutes to play. Stewart’s deep cross was pinpoint accurate towards the back post, and Harvey showed great composure to head past Dey and sent the tie beyond doubt.

Ten-man Aberdeen led 1-4.

To see out the game Cammy Wilson came on, replacing Alfie Bavidge. Like Harvey, Wilson’s contribution was immediate as he converted Aberdeen’s second penalty of the night after the young Dons winger was fouled inside the area to round of the scoring on a successful night for the Dons.

Semi-Final Draw
The draw followed immediately after the full-time whistle: Aberdeen will play Buckie Thistle in the semi-final, with the tie to be played on Wednesday 8th November. In the other semi-final, Huntly will play Banks O’Dee.
Turriff United Teamsheet
Dey, Grant (Fatona 88), Stuart, Watt, Foster, Smith (Alberts 70), Gray (Strachan 86), McKenzie, Clark, McKeown (Gauld 88), Cormack (Abolfathi 86) Unused Subs: Linton, Chalmers, Clark, Gordon
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Ritchie, Watson, McKenzie, Milne (Kondolo 71), Hamilton, Stewart, Lobban, Emslie, Marshall, Reid (Harvey 63), Bavidge (Wilson 86).

Unused Subs: Vitols, Smilie, Mackie, Clark.

Bookings:  Hamilton (69).
Venue: The Haughs, Turriff
Referee: Duncan Nicolson
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead