Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Arbroath 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Arbroath 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup First Round
Arbroath scorers: Oliphant, Oliphant
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 41.

16/01/1932 | KO:

CUP SENSATION PROVIDED BY ABERDEEN. Arbroath Administer Coup De Grace at Gayfied.

The contest at Arbroath, where Aberdeen were the visitors, was stubbornly fought from start to finish, and the play was full of thrilling incident. Only one goal was got during the first half, and it fell to Armstrong, the Aberdeen centre-forward. The home team, however, responded with two in the second period, and both were taken by Oliphant, and Aberdeen discard player. Considering the strong and gusty wind, play was wonderfully accurate, and at one time it seemed as if the greater experience of the First Division League team would carry them through, but the pluck, daring, and dash of the Arbroath players brought the side to victory in the end. A contributing feature of their success was the fist-time tactics of their backs in kicking. On the other hand, the Aberdeen team lost largely because of their inability to keep their attack in motion. Too often the inside forwards had to go back to find the ball, with the result that Armstrong, a good centre, and two fleet wingers were left to themselves. Much of the success of the Arbroath team was due to Kelly in goal, Benvie at right back, and Sinclair and Duff in the half-back line, and, as regards the attack, no one was on more need of being watched than the two players who produced the goals. McGill, Falloon, and Armstrong were the only men who stood out prominently in the Aberdeen side. The attendance was about 500, and the drawings came to £153, 5s, exclusive of tax and stand money.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th January 1932


Ex - Pittodrie Player's Blow.

Aberdeen suffered a blow at Gayfield Park, Arbroath, where the home team ousted them from the first round of the Scottish Cup competition by two goals to one.
Although there was practically nothing between the teams and a draw would have been quite fair to both, Arbroath could not be grudged their win. On the day's play they were the better cup-tie combine.
They were put to the disadvantage of having lost the toss and having to face a strong wind in the first half, and injury to Farquhar, their right half, proved an additional handicap. He had to go to outside left for a period of twenty minutes, and this necessitated a re-arrangement.

Grand Arbroath Defence.

In the period Arbroath put up a wonderful defence, and it was distinctly to their credit that having had to face the strong wind they were only a goal in arrears at the interval.
In the second half they drew level after ten minutes' play, and subsequently fell away, but later they rallied again, and nine minutes were left for play when they got a dramatic winning goal to provide the only real sensation of the round.
Aberdeen's defeat staggered their supporters just as it surprised Arbroath. Following the final whistle there was a frantic rush on the part of many of the home team's supporters to congratulate the Arbroath players, and the cheering was continued for some time.

Armstrong's Goal.

Aberdeen made the running for the first ten minutes, but were not really dangerous, although Warnock and McLean crossed clever balls. Armstrong, however, was not an opportunist. Until approaching the interval Aberdeen had slightly the better of the exchanges, but such as Benvie and Duff were brilliant in defence, and time and again they cleared when a goal for Aberdeen looked imminent.
There were only four minutes to go when success came to the Dons. Armstrong fastened on to a forward pass from Falloon, and smartly rounding Fordyce shot into the net with a fine left foot drive. This proved to the only score o fthe first half, but Aberdeen's goal had also had its anxious moments.

Surprise Goal.

After early attacks by Aberdeen had been beaten back, Arbroath showed what it meant to have the wind behind them. Smith fielded from Lowe, but only ten minutes had gone when, following a corner kick, Oliphant headed in. Smith, in attempting to save, knocked the ball against the crossbar, and it dropped behind him into the net.
Subsequently Aberdeen bad a spell of attacking, and Armstrong, after a dash between, the backs, just missed. Both defences were kept on the stretch for a time, but there was little concerted play.
Aberdeen looked to have got a grip the opposition, but they flattered to deceive, Arbroath staged an attacking revival.

Winning Goal.

With nine minutes to go Oliphant got the ball in a scrimmage in the Aberdeen penalty area, and smartly piloted the ball into the net, Smith making an heroic effort to save at full length.
Aberdeen made desperate efforts in the closing minutes to force a replay, but the home defence played with confidence, and easily held them at bay.
Individually and as a team Aberdeen were disappointing. Smith was not blameless for the loss of the first goal, but otherwise acquitted himself well. Cooper was never comfortable against the home left wing, and McGill had a trying time in opposition to Lowe.
Fraser and Dickie were weak at wing half, and Falloon concentrated too much in defence to be of much assistance to the forwards. Of the latter Armstrong was best, but as a line the attack was disappointing.
Arbroath showed admirable team spirit. They were splendidly served in defence, especially by Benvie and Duff, who respectively were the best defenders on the field.
In sprightly forward line Lowe and Stewart seldom failed to make progress, and Oliphant provided the driving power.

The attendance was 4000, and receipts, exclusive of stands and tax, amounted to only £153. The figures are very disappointing. About 300 of Aberdeen's supporters travelled to the match.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th January 1932

Arbroath Teamsheet
Kelly; Fordyce, Benvie; Farquhar, Sinclair, Duff; Laws, Beath, Jarvis, Oliphant, Stewart
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Gayfield Park, Arbroath
Referee: A. H. Leishman, Falkirk
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen