Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Donald 26, McLean 70.

06/04/1932 | KO:


Barely 2000 spectators witnessed a poor game at Kilmarnock last night between Kilmarnock and Aberdeen. A high wind, accompanied by heavy showers of rain, made control difficult, and there was little combined play. What there was came mostly from Aberdeen. Their defence was sound, and the forwards accepted the chances that came their way.
Playing against the wind in the first half, Kilmarnock did well to lose only one goal. This came after 25 minutes, the ball striking Leslie and finding the net from a header by Donald. Near the interval Muir (Kilmarnock) retired injured, and the cup finalists finished the game with ten men. Their four corwards could make nothing of the Aberdeen defence, and the result was settled when McLean scored a second goal for the visitors. Aberdeen were well served by the defence, and Falloon, Love, Beattie, and Donald. Kilmarnock's best were Bell, Smith, Duncan, and Maxwell.

Source: The Scotsman, 6th April 1932,/b>

Dons too Much for Cup Finalists.


Less than 2000 spectators braved a gale of wind and rain to see the game at Rugby Park, and they saw little enough good football for their trouble, though the wind was mainly to blame for that.

Aberdeen were without the services of McDermid who was indisposed through 'flu, and Mooney was brought forward into his place, while Dickie was included as left-half.
Aberdeen started off with the wind behind them, and did most the attacking till the interval. Several corners were forced, and Kilmarnock's custodian had to fist clear.
Love and Dickie were always alert and seized chances, and Mooney was also very serviceable. After twenty-six minutes' play Aberdeen took the lead. Donald headed in from a corner kick, the ball glanced off one of the defenders into the net.

Muir Injured.

Shortly before the interval Muir, Killie's inside-right, had to retire as result of injury. The home team finished with ten men. This had an upsetting effect on Kilmarnock, and even with the wind behind them they could make little use of their chances. The credit for that was mainly due to the grand spoiling work of Falloon, and to the stout and reliable defence of Cooper and McGill. They never made a mistake, and in goal Smith handled confidently everything that came his way.
The quality of the football deteriorated after the interval, and there was no cohesion among the Kilmarnock players. Aberdeen facing the wind did as much of the attacking as their opponents, and twenty minutes from the end a cross from the right was cleverly netted by McLean.

Dons Superior.

In positional play and accuracy of passing and in combination Aberdeen were far superior the Scottish Cup finalists, and their victory was a most convincing one, giving the denial to any excuse that Kilmarnock were saving themselves for next week's effort and restraining themselves.
The game was a strenuous one, and in the second half an element of temper crept in. The referee had to censure players on both sides, notably Maxwell and McGill.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th April 1932

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Bell; Robertson, Leslie; Irvine, Smith, McEwan; Connell, Muir, Maxwell, Duncan, Aitken
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: T. Dougray, Glasgow
Next Match
HJK Helsinki
30 Nov 2023 / 17:45 / Töölö Football Stadium, Helsinki