Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 3 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: McGrory, Cameron, Napier (pen)

13/08/1932 | KO:


The opening game at Parkhead was somewhat disappointing, and, on the form shown, neither team impressed as being above normal standard. The best football was seen in the first 30 minutes, when both teams moved well, but thereafter play lacked snap and method.
Aberdeen opened well, and McDermid was the mainspring round which some nice combined play revolved. Dickie, McLean, and Moore all took part in raids that upset the Celtic defenders, but failed to produce goals. The northern men were inclined to play too closely together, whereas Celtic, once they got moving, swung the ball and moved so quickly that the visitors' defenders were placed at a disadvantage.

The First Goal

With ten minutes gone Falloon delayed a tackle on McGrory; Cooper ran out to intercept, the ball swerved off his foot, and McGrory rounded the back and drove the ball past Smith for the opening goal.
Eight minutes from the end Cameron scored a second goal, after McGrory was allowed to go on from an apparently offside position, and a minute from the end McGill touched the ball from the front of McGrory with his hand, and Napier scored from the penalty kick which followed.
Strength at half-back gave Celtic superiority, Falloon was the best of the Aberdeen trio; the wing men failed to keep in touch with their forwards in the latter stages of the game, and their passes went astray. McDermid and Moore, Aberdeen's new centre forward, played well in the first half, but both tired in the second half and slowed down.
Smith, the goalkeeper, was the outstanding man for Aberdeen, and he covered up a number of slips by Cooper and McGill. When they can stand the pace better Aberdeen will be more successful.

Forwards Weak Display

The display given by the Celtic forwards was very weak; R. Thomson and Napier were especially disappointing. A. Thomson was the best of the five, Cameron, the new outside left, did not get good service, and it was not until near the end of the game that he came into the picture.
As already mentioned, the half-backs were strong; Cook and McGonagle were steady but showed occasional weaknesses. Kennaway saved with confidence. There were many clever touches by both sides, but many good movements ended so softly that the slack play often made one forget the cleverness on show.

Many Escapes

At the opening of the second half Cooper, the Aberdeen back, was injured and had to go off for attention. The Northerners' goal had many escapes during this period, and when a shot from Cameron rebounded from the crossbar the referee awarded a goal. Aberdeen protested vigorously, and after he consulted the linesman the referee reversed his decision and threw the ball down.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 15th August 1932

Half-Backs Give Weak Display.


While It was not expected that Aberdeen would triumph at Parkhead, it was hoped that they would force a draw with the redoubtable Celtic.

For the first thirty minutes of the game Aberdeen looked if they might hold their own, but after this Celtic were in the ascendancy. However, it was not until the closing minutes that the homesters, increased their 1-0 interval lead to three.
It should be noted that Aberdeen were severely handicapped in the second period, in the early part of which Cooper had his leg badly wrenched.
Celtic were the better team all over and fully deserved their victory. Aberdeen's weakness lay at half-back. Falloon was fairly good in defence, but was rarely seen in an attacking capacity. The wing halves failed to hold their respective wings in check, and never struck an understanding with their forwards. On the afternoon's showing Dickie was better than Fraser.
McDermid and Beattie at inside-left and right respectively did not impress, but this was probably due in some measure to the lack of support from behind. Love and McLean were most prominent in attack. The ex-Celtic winger was especially sprightly in the first period, when he had several good runs and crosses.

Moore Impresses.

Moore, Aberdeen's new centre from Ireland, although badly supported, was quick and clever and gave the impression that with the necessary support he would be dangerous. Smith gave a grand display in goal, and had no chance with the shots that beat him. Cooper and McGill were a steady and sound pair of backs until the former was injured.
Celtic were strongest at half-back, where Wilson, McStay, and Geatons gave a clever display. It was largely due to their support of the men in front that Celtic triumphed.
The homesters were sound in defence, while in attack McGrory and A. Thomson were most dangerous. Scotland's centre demonstrated that he is fully recovered from the injury that proved so troublesome last season.

Play Described.

Aberdeen made a promising start, and it was Celtic who were on the defensive during the opening minutes. Moore twice made attempts, and his second, a back-heeler from a Dickie slip, almost found the mark.
With twelve minutes gone, however, the game turned in Celtic's favour, and from a through pass from R. Thomson, McGrory beat Falloon and McGill to open the scoring.
Aberdeen retaliated vigorously, and clever play by the McDermid-McLean wing saw Kennoway bring off a great save from the former.
The homesters quickly took play to the other end, where, after R. Thomson had shot over, Smith brought off a brilliant save from McGrory. Celtic maintained the offensive, and R. Thomson shot against the post, while Smith did well to hold a drive from A. Thomson.
Several Aberdeen raids were beaten back without Kennoway being called into action. Near the interval Smith again distinguished himself with clever saves from R. Thomson and McGrory.

Cooper Injured.

Early in the second period disaster overtook Aberdeen, Cooper being injured, and when he resumed he was limping badly.
McLean made a great individual effort for Aberdeen, but after beating three men his shot was blocked.
Celtic had the better of the subsequent exchanges, and Smith was continually in action. There was a remarkable incident at this stage. Cameron broke away the Celtic left and shot against the crossbar. The ball rebounded into play, but the referee immediately signalled a goal, and it was only after a strong protest by the Aberdeen players that he consulted the linesmen and changed his decision.
Six minutes from the end Celtic went further ahead. Smith ran out to block a sure counter by McGrory, but the ball glanced off his knee to Cameron, who banged it into an empty goal. In the closing minutes McGill handled in the Aberdeen penalty area, and from the spot kick Napier increased Celtic's lead to three.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th August 1932

Celtic Teamsheet
Kennoway; Cook, McGonagle; Wilson, McStay, Geatons; R. Thomson, A. Thomson, McGrory, Napier, Cameron
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: J. Purdon, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride