Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 4 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Third Round
Hibernian scorers: Cuthbertson 1, Smith 40, Linwood 56, Smith 83
Aberdeen scorers: Pearson 23, Harris 85.

21/02/1948 | KO:

'Youth at the Helm' Is Dons' Pressing Need

Hibs got off to a flying start, and played brilliantly for ten to fifteen minutes, during which time they might have scored three goals. Then came twenty minutes of great football from the Dons, football which earned the admiration of the crowd. After that the Dons faded out. That in short is the rather sad tale of our exit from this year's Scottish Cup competition. The Dons have no alibi. They were beaten by a better team on the day's showing.
The incidents ten minutes from the interval were most dramatic, and one could imagine what the feelings of the Hibernian supporters must have been at the time. Cowie chased after a ball and passed it back to McKenna to clear. As Cowie did so, Ormond rather impetuously, lunged at the ball and his swinging leg seemed to lock with Cowie's leg. Both fell in great pain, but it was soon apparent that Ormond was seriously hurt, and he was carried to the side for attention. When the game was resumed Aberdeen at once attacked, the ball was crossed from the right, Pearson rose to head the ball as Kerr came out, both fell to the ground and Williams, left with an empty goal, had the chagrin to see the ball strike the post, and go past for a goal-kick. (What a difference a goal at that point would have made for the Dons!)
Pearson was knocked out, but soon recovered, but Kerr, even after attention, could not carry on and a substitute went into goal. We then had a most extraordinary sight. Kerr was being helped round the track towards the dressing-rooms, apparently seriously hurt; with his left arm hanging at his side. (It gave the appearance of a dislocation or a break - fortunately it wasn't so serious.) At the same time another procession was coming slowly across the field - Ormond lying on a stretcher with a blanket thrown over him to keep out the icy wind!
Chairman Swan was in despair. But the Hibs, as we know, rose above their misfortunes and right worthily earned the right to play in the fourth round.

Source: Match Programme, 28th February 1948

N.B. Kerr was able to return to the field before half time.
Time for Stock-taking at Pittodrie Has Come

ARE there too many old players in the Dons' team? Five of Saturday's Cup-tie eleven were over thirty, and the majority of the remainder were nearer thirty than twenty.

The ideal team is a blend of youth and experience. Now is the time for stock-taking at Pittodrie. Aberdeen F.C. have a playing staff of close on fifty.
If the Dons intend to take a prominent place in Scotland's football shop window next season, more emphasis must be laid on youth.
Aberdeen have lost the Scottish Cup. To be beaten by Hibs at Easter Road is no disgrace, but it was the manner of the Dons' 4-2 defeat on Saturday that left unhappy memories.
What excuse is there for a team that loses the lead to nine men and take their orders from ten men for practically the whole of the second half?
Hibs lost both Ormond and Kerr through injury shortly before the interval. What did the Dons do? They allowed the nine Edinburgh men to dash off and regain the lead.
That was bad enough, but worse was to come. Kerr resumed in goal just before the half-time whistle, but Ormond's ankle injury kept him in the pavilion for the rest of the game.

Hibs Did Romping

In the second half, when Aberdeen should have been romping through the Hibs defence - the exact opposite was the case. It was the handicapped Hibs who made the running.
The previous week I gave the Dons high praise for their fighting spirit. At Easter Road it had completely evaporated. They lacked courage. They played like a tired team.
This game will go down in the football history books as the Pittodrie gamble that failed. They sprang a surprise by fielding the cup final defence of last April, with one exception Cowie for McLaughlin at right half.

Smith the Demon

The Dons' defenders spent most of the afternoon chasing shadows - the shadows of four Hibs forwards. There were times when they were demoralised and the demon who did most of the damage was the right winger, Gordon Smith.
The shrill blast of the referees whistle signalling the start of the game had scarcely died when Smith robbed Baird of the ball and careered through unchallenged to lay the foundation of the first goal in twenty seconds.
Aberdeen's defence failed to catch up with him on that occasion, and they were still chasing him at the finish.
The Easter Road idol may not be a success in international football, but he is surely the greatest club winger in the country.
Th« Pittodrie defence had no answer to the swashbuckling, quick-moving Hibs attackers. What would have happened had Hlbs been at full strength for the ninety minutes?
The Dons' purple patch was in the first half after they had equalised. For a spell they looked as if there might be a repetition of last season's final. Hibs' second goal shattered that hope.
Not one Aberdeen defender emerged from the game with enhanced reputation. The forwards were little better. Tommy Pearson was the only attacker who played consistently well. With better support in the second half he looked as if he might have pulled the game round.
Williams played well in the opening period, when he had the Hibs defence guessing, and guessing wrong at times, but was seldom seen after the interval.
Baird started brilliantly, but after the first twenty minutes faded out, and Stenhouse and Harris on the right never struck a happy combination. The former St Mirren player was particularly disappointing.
Full marks to a very gallant Hibs team. They fought with magnificent courage in the face of adversity. Every man played his part, with Smith on the wing and Kean at right half the scintillating stars.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd February 1948

Hibernian Teamsheet
Kerr, Govan, Shaw, Kean, Howie, Buchanan, Smith, Combe, Linwood, Cuthbertson, Ormond
Attendance: 37,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: P. Fitzpatrick, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead