Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Buckie Thistle 0 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Buckie Thistle 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Kevin Main Testimonial
Aberdeen scorers: Low 37, Magennis 49, McGinn 87.

09/07/2013 | KO: 19:45

Three and Easy in Pre Season Opener

Aberdeen kicked off their pre-season campaign in front of a large travelling support at Buckie's Victoria Park ground in a testimonial game for long serving Buckie goalkeeper Kevin Main. The game also saw several players make their debuts for the Dons. In the first half they lined up- Langfield, Murray, Anderson, Reynolds, Robertson, Jack, Robson, Low, Hayes, Vernon & McManus.

The Dons created their first opening on 4 minutes when new signing Barry Robson curled a free kick narrowly over the bar. Minutes later Robson delivered the ball into the middle only for Kevin Main to collect it ahead of Scott Vernon.

Vernon was involved again on 9 mins- this time getting on the end of Nicky Low's cross from the left but the header was gathered comfortably by keeper Main in the Buckie goal.

Robson then played a long ball towards Nicky Low in the inside left channel. Low controlled well but his shot was smothered again by Main. Low then threaded a superb pass through to Declan McManus but just as the goal opened up for the striker on the edge of the box, a superb last ditch tickle by Jamie Bagley averted the danger.

On 21 minutes Buckie created their first opening as Neil Davidson's long range effort was held comfortably by Langfield. Shortly after Clark Robertson and Ryan Jack both suffered knocks but were able to continue.

Vernon then once again got on the end of a Robson free kick but his header landed on the top of the net. Aberdeen's persistence was rewarded with 37 minutes on the clock when Johnny Hayes ran down the right channel before picking out Nicky Low and his deflected shot ended up in the keeper's right hand corner of the net.

HT 0-1

Derek McInnes made a raft of changes to the side at half time. The Dons line up for the second half was: Langfield, Clark, Shaughnessy, Reynolds, Robertson, Pawlett, Jack, Flood, Wylde, Magennis, McGinn.

It was Buckie who had the first chance of the second half as Stuart Hodge's corner was headed over by Neil Davidson. But just a few moments later the Dons doubled their advantage when Niall McGinn's corner was met by a powerful header from Josh Magennis who fired the ball beyond Main into the net.

The Dons continued to pressurise the home side and Pawlett placed the ball to McGinn whose diagonal pass to the far post found Magennis. His shot looked goal bound until Main clawed it away at point blank range. Moments later Magennis had another shot at goal but it was collected easily by Main.

Masson, Storie and McKenna all then came on for the Dons and 13 minutes from time Magennis had another good opportunity on the far right angle of the box and he drilled the ball across goal but it went wide of the target.

Some excellent running by Willo Flood down the inside right channel saw him pass to the near post but the ball was hacked clear by the Buckie defence.

The Dons third goal came two minutes from time as Magennis took a swift touch to take the ball away from Kevin Flett on the halfway line before bearing down on goal. He unselfishly passed to Niall McGinn and he rolled it past Main into the keeper's bottom right hand corner.

That would be Main's final piece of action- he was then substituted to a standing ovation by both sets of supporters while Danny Rogers replaced Jamie Langfield in goal for the final few minutes.

Buckie Thistle Teamsheet
Main (Sherman), S Wood (D Wood), MacRae (Low) (H Munro), D Munro (Shewan), MacKinnon (Flett), Angus (Napier) (Z Sutherland), Hodge (B Stewart), Davidson (Scott), MacMillan (Charlesworth) (Shand), Smith (Murray), Bagley (Duncan).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield (Rogers 88), Murray (Clark 46), Anderson (Shaughnessy 46), Reynolds (McKenna 76), Robertson (Masson 76), Jack (Storie 76), Robson (Pawlett 46), Low (Flood 46), Hayes (Wylde 46), Vernon (Magennis 46), McManus (McGinn 46).
Attendance: 1,700
Venue: Victoria Park, Buckie
Referee: Morag Pirire