Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 2 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Hamilton 36.
Third Lanark scorers: Goodall 58, Staroscik 80

04/11/1950 | KO: 14:45


Aberdeen Unlucky to Lose Both Points to Thirds

FOOTBALL referees are frequently unpopular with naturally biased home crowds, but rarely have I heard Aberdeen spectators show their disapproval more vociferously than on Saturday.

Mr H. Anderson, Edinburgh, was booed when he left the field at the finish of the Aberdeen-Third Lanark match. It was his alleged sins of omission rather than commission that raised the ire of the crowd.
I do not doubt Mr Anderson's impartiality for a single moment, but I thought that Aberdeen had two reasonable claims for penalty kicks in the second half.
The first was when Hamilton was brought down during a tussle involving Harrower, Orr and Samuel, and again when Harrower appeared to handle the ball in intercepting a lob from Yorston.
The Dons were beaten 2-1. Most people will agree that Third Lanark were a trifle lucky to get away with both points.
Aberdeen did not get the breaks. Throughout the second half they played with ten men. Glen sustained an injury five minutes from the interval and had to be taken to hospital. He was later released.
His loss upset the balance of the team. The Dons played a man short in attack in the second half, Baird falling back to the half line.
It was a late goal by Staroscik, the Cathkin left winger, that blasted Aberdeen's hopes. Actually the home team shaped more like winners than Thirds.


While Aberdeen were unlucky to drop both points they were not impressive, even when at full strength. Had the forwards shown more initiative and drive they might have had the game won by the interval.
Hamilton was the most enterprising member of the line and claimed the only goal thirty-six minutes after the start. Glen started the move when he swept the ball out to the right and Yorston flicked it into the middle for the centre to find the net.
It was a game in which the defences could claim the honours, but their job was simplified to some extent by lack of imagination on the part of the attackers.
The first half was almost completely lacking in thrills.
Even after Goodall had equalised thirteen minutes after the start of the second half, Aberdeen's ten men did not lose the initiative. The right winger's goal was well taken. He cut in from the wing, evaded Shaw and Young in quick succession and sent the ball into the far corner of the net.
Yorston could have put the Dons on the victory path soon after the loss of this goal. He went thundering through the Third Lanark defence, parted to Hamilton and regained possession to shoot against Simpson's legs as the 'keeper was falling away from the ball.


The Aberdeen inside-right figured in another near miss. He nipped through smartly from a slip from Hather, but as his shot entered the net Hamilton was whistled up for offside.
The winning goal came ten minutes from the end. Mason put Staroscik in possession following a throw-in, and the winger, although he was held up by Emery and Young, recovered to score.
The Aberdeen defence played well. Martin in goal had no chance with the shots that beat him. Shaw seemed to have recovered his confidence, and Emery played with plenty of verve.
Young was master in the middle. Glen did well until his injury, but I have seen Anderson more effective.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th November 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Martin, Emery, Shaw, Anderson, Young, Glen, Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.
Third Lanark Teamsheet
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: H. P. Anderson, Edinburgh